Builds HJ61 Cruiser build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FWIW:

My money is on the master cylinder needing replacement.

I have swapped in 4Runner calipers in multiple trucks--they aren't THAT big of a difference in volume required. I'm not even sure if I feel much difference with braking--but they are much more plentiful, and I like all my trucks having the same parts.

Dan

There's a small screw (10mm head) on the side of the MC. People mistakenly loosen it to bleed the master. The screw is the pin locating the forward piston. If unscrewed it is very easy to damage the seals in the MC, that might be your problem.

There's a small screw (10mm head) on the side of the MC. People mistakenly loosen it to bleed the master. The screw is the pin locating the forward piston. If unscrewed it is very easy to damage the seals in the MC, that might be your problem.

oh no, i've made that rookie mistake years ago. :D
I just had the MC out, just to find it beeing ok, visually. Bench bled it, bled the rest, no happy ending. wtf. I'll change it either way!

FWIW:

My money is on the master cylinder needing replacement.

I have swapped in 4Runner calipers in multiple trucks--they aren't THAT big of a difference in volume required. I'm not even sure if I feel much difference with braking--but they are much more plentiful, and I like all my trucks having the same parts.

Dan

Thanks for the input. Even though it looks like new inside, no rust, soft and good seals, i'll swap the MC at first opportunity, and order a good one to be done with it.
Maybe the same MC is in the hilux from the same year... Since the ToyoDIY site does not work for me, i'll just grab the first one i see tomorrow.

oh no, i've made that rookie mistake years ago. :D
I just had the MC out, just to find it beeing ok, visually. Bench bled it, bled the rest, no happy ending. wtf. I'll change it either way!

I did not in any way suggest that YOU could have made such a mistake:D, but a previous owner might, I found that on mine...:doh:

to cheer things up a bit, i have a couple videos.
Yesterday a block of ice fell off a meeting truck, and took out what was left of my poor wiper bushings.
So i had to jerry rig them to get home in the snow...

A few minutes later, three moose were hanging out by the road, eating from the tractor-eggs of my neighbur.
They are not very shy, but the staight six got their attention.

Going to do an oil change on Monday.
Does anyone know the part numbers to the oil filter, and fuel filter?
Sorry to hi-jack. Just thought y'all would know

No problem, here's what i use on my 12HT:
Fuel filter 23303-54072
Oil filter 15601-68010
2014-08-02 14.51.12.jpg

2014-07-31 20.28.16.jpg

I was playing with plastidip on the mirrors i got from @reevesci and found my colour. dark gun metal grey.
my last plastidip experiment was not sucsessfull, and it did not stick to steel or plastic.
Now, in good temperature and several thin layers, a few minutes between the three layers, it turned out great!
Swapping out the mirrors ;) I'll try it on the bad wheels, and misc odds and ends to see how it holds up in various conditions.
I'll might do a hood dip, to minimize sun glare. I like that it's not permanent, but i dislike that it's not 'permanent'

2nd coat
2015-02-24 16.46.18.jpg

3rd coat dry
2015-02-25 09.40.40.jpg

Objects may appear closer than they really are.
2015-02-25 16.02.23.jpg

2015-02-25 16.05.56.jpg

Finally i got around to swap my brake MC for a new unit, and brakes are better.
Stock 60 unit, so same bore, another brand. Casting is different, and does not have the tap in the front for the bolt holding the heat shield. I bolted it up, and the shield seems sturdy enough without that bolt.

Stops quite a bit better now, a more direct pedal feel.
I am still sure it needs more movement of the pedal before brakes engage. I'll wonder about it until i get wiser.

old setup, shows the heat shield.
2015-03-22 15.47.46.jpg

New MC, this is my 'bench-bleeding' without a bench.
2015-03-22 16.58.02.jpg

I got a used wiper motor and linkage for cheap from a fellow cruiserhead, and i lubed everything up before mounting up.
It all comes apart quite easy, just tiny snap rings.
2015-03-22 12.47.55.jpg

Another picture showing the oem bushing, snap ring lock.
2015-03-22 12.55.05.jpg

And here's the new/used setup, someone already had the oem bushing fail, and mounted up a way more sturdy solution! genious! we'll see how long it'll last.
2015-03-22 12.57.54.jpg

I must say... It is AWESOME to have wipers again, after driving 1,5 months with window cracked, pulling that strap through winter weather. I smile every time i turn on the wiper now.
I think the arm on the motor is a tad longer than my previous, what else would make the wipers go from molding to molding? I have stock arms and wipers, now they travel longer than before.
We'll see how long it lasts!

I was playing with plastidip on the mirrors i got from @reevesci and found my colour. dark gun metal grey.
my last plastidip experiment was not sucsessfull, and it did not stick to steel or plastic.
Now, in good temperature and several thin layers, a few minutes between the three layers, it turned out great!
Swapping out the mirrors ;) I'll try it on the bad wheels, and misc odds and ends to see how it holds up in various conditions.
I'll might do a hood dip, to minimize sun glare. I like that it's not permanent, but i dislike that it's not 'permanent'

2nd coat
View attachment 1046466

3rd coat dry
View attachment 1046467

Objects may appear closer than they really are.
View attachment 1046468

View attachment 1046469

was thinking about going this route.. Then I could just rip it off if I don't like the look. How do you think it would hold up on door handles?

true, Tyman! we'll see how long it'l last...

We had an solar eclipse the other day, and i lost track of time at work... so when i ran out i did only manage to snap photos with the cell, this one is the only one showing some eclipse activity, although the skies ruin the impression.
It was supercool!
2015-03-20 11.09.38.jpg

Reminds me of that old song by Cat Stevens - 'Moon Shadow'
Looks cool, you're lucky to have seen it. J

Oh, and genius 'bench bleed'!

Treated the crusier with a good wash, engine clean up and some fresh oil and filter.
Amazed by how 'clean' the oil was.
Good thing getting all the salt and grime off.
Im gonna degrease the transfer and tranny area and get to work on the transfer rebuild.
Need to find a good gear puller and some misc tools first.

2015-04-14 16.54.48.jpg

Having a worse steering issue, now that the asphalt melted out...
Was straight and true on ice/snow.
Now it tracks and follow every groove....

Tre's are new, bearings good, toe in ok, tires are even. Box is tight. Ubolts good, bushings a bit worn, but no slop. What am I missing?

Gonna swap the brake discs, and a couple wheel studs now, so I'll have another look at the bearings, but they feel very normal.

That symptom is called wander here in the states and is typically caused by an improper alignment, and on our trucks, either improper toe or improper caster. When was the last time you had your alignment checked?

Not had an alignment... Only thing to check is toe, and they would charge $170 for a check.
Toe is good, camber can only come from something being bent, so I checked the degree with a gauge on the disc, relative to the horizontal axis, and both sides had the same degree, I think 1.8.

I bought 4deg caster shims from George, but have not installed them.
Didn't have them on the previous 60 with the same setup.
Can I measure the degree on the pinion flange, and compare it to others?

I tried setting the toe in to zero, and worked it in a mm at a time, while driving, it didn't matter much, now I'll set it back to almost zero.

Have checked bearings on passenger side now, and put on new rotor while I was in there.
Next is left side.

And triple check that the tre's adjustment is good.

And I'm gonna try to borrow another set of rubber, to see if wheels/tire play a role...

I'm tired of wandering!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom