Hj61 1989 vibration help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Having a problem...vibrations at 100kms.

Once again I have an auto. The tenant has been updated and has a new tc and 3rd and 4th gear lock up. Long story short, as short as possible.

This vibration at a 100 is when the gas pedal is on. In action. At the speed of 100 (giver take 5) I can be at the speed of 100 and release the gas pedal -result - vibrations stop. Smooth sailing. Once I'm at 120 the vibration is there but not as loud. I can cruise comfortably at 130. Strange right!?

Here's a check list:
-U joints - good
-rear Drive shaft - balanced and angles good
-front drive shaft is unknown
-Tires- balance
-Alignment - good
-engine mounts - good
-front end - good(rebuilt and to spec)
-rear diff: arb went in and wow that solved a lot of clunking. Spider gear was so loose.
-transfer case output flange is good
-rear pinion bearing is good

Was told to check my rear diff. But if something was wrong in the rear diff then would it not have a similar vibration the whole time?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1444720849.012374.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1444720921.968571.jpg

A few pics and thread for history

"Frank" 1989 hj61

Hmm if all of your driveline is balanced, could it be motor related? Possibly the torque convertor, or the harmonic balancer? I feel like you would feel those at any speed...

I would double check the u-joints, I had a similar problem with mine and I overlooked them when I was trying to figure out what in the world was going on. Even check the play in the rear diff and t-case output flange. Those bearings could have gone bad on you.

Hmm if all of your driveline is balanced, could it be motor related? Possibly the torque convertor, or the harmonic balancer? I feel like you would feel those at any speed...

I would double check the u-joints, I had a similar problem with mine and I overlooked them when I was trying to figure out what in the world was going on. Even check the play in the rear diff and t-case output flange. Those bearings could have gone bad on you.

Hey there, the tc has been replaced with 3rd and 4th gear lock up. Is it possible to check the harmonic balancer without pulling it out?

I do agree that vibrations would be through out if it was the hb.

Those u joints have been looked at by three different entities. 2 of them viable and trust worthy sources.

Diff and t-case output flange have not been ruled out yet. Thanks I'll put that on the list.

Hey there, the tc has been replaced with 3rd and 4th gear lock up. Is it possible to check the harmonic balancer without pulling it out?

I do agree that vibrations would be through out if it was the hb.

Those u joints have been looked at by three different entities. 2 of them viable and trust worthy sources.

Diff and t-case output flange have not been ruled out yet. Thanks I'll put that on the list.

I would check the diff and t-case flanges first as they will be more convenient. Just pull your driveshafts off and shake flanges to check for any play.

The harmonic balancer can be pulled easily, just take off the belts and hit the front crank bolt with an impact wrench.

when was the last time you check your pinion joke .?
Pinion yoke was touched a while back. My preferred shop cut the pinion yoke and told me that the drive shaft was to long (after market) then i left the shop and bam vibrations were clearly evident. Couldn't drive over 60 without a harsh vibration. Some minor adjustments were made ( need to check records) and I was back to making it up to 100 before vibrations.

Did I get the vibrations at a certain point? Well I have a torque converter go and that was the first real concern. Replaced the tc and added a nice valve body. The a440f still vibrates pretty good when the tc locks up but if i time everything right it runs pretty smooth.

It's a situation I have gotten use to. Em i wrong in assuming that a large vibration happens at 60 kms for tc lock up and then again at 100. My dash shakes, the seat massages the muscles

Last edited:
Problem looks like it's in the rear diff. Pulled apart the pumpkin and we found that the spider gear has some serious play. Arb going in. Hope that all will be well after this is finished.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1445615407.067268.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom