highway speed vibration...worth re-balancing old tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a vibration between 55-65 that has gradually been getting worse. Everything on the front end is in really good shape so i really think it is my tires. I have a set of older KO2 with about 45-50,000 miles on them. they have lots of treat so i was thinking of running them a while longer. I rotated them the other day and the vibration feels worse. So obviously i think it is one of the ones on the front.

But i am heading cross country tomorrow and with the truck fully loaded i am now a little nervous about old tires and just putting up with a vibration. I could head out first thing tomorrow to the local tire place and have everything balanced. But i just dont know if that will help. I have never had tires need balancing other than when mounting. Is this a normal thing to have to do?

My other option is a new set of tires which is hard on such short notice. My fault for waiting to the last minute. I have one vender looking to see what they can get by tomorrow morning. The other option would be to plan for tires in one of the cities i go through and order them off of say 4 wheel parts to that store.

Anyway, i am open to try balancing but like i said i dont have experience with off road tire like these. I dont know if they some times need balancing again after being "abused" or if they get out of round well before the tread is gone and balancing wont help.

any opinions?

If you have fairly even tread & they aren't dead, then heck yeah I'd re-balance!

Most stick-on weights get tossed if not proper scrub & prep for install - and even then a real good idea is to foil tape over the entire weight.

Even if they used clip-ons, there's a specific style clip most shops don't have, so again at some point you end up tossing the weights, and you're left thinking it's the tires' fault.

If you still have the receipt rebalancing should be complementary, or at worst you spend a few $$$ - but a drop in the bucket over a new set of rubber, esp if you have decent tread left.

Agreed, have them tossed on a good machine. Not all tire machine are =

Tyre maintenance.
Balance every 6000 miles and do a rotation. Also check wheel alignment.

This gives me just over 60000 miles tyre wear. If I do do 5 wheel rotation it gets even beter on KO2.
Also maintain good tyre pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom