High pitched whine in an 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I test drove a '97 LX450 today and it has this subtle but noticeable high pitched whine that goes up and down with engine RPM as you drive. The closest thing I can think of to compare it to is that whine you hear through your speakers when you have a bad ground in your stereo, except this happens even when the stereo is off. I also heard it in my '96 LC which I only owned for a month. Is this just a normal noise? Bearing in the tranny or transfer case? My imagination? Any help?

Dan

Mine has that too, I've owned mine for 6 months and it has 186k on it. It was the only complaint the PO had (that she told me about anyway). She had a tranny shop check it, and they gave it a clean bill of health. I decided I won't worry about it, I think others have mentioned this noise as well, no ill effects seen.

Fairly sure its the fuel pump, which whines / squeals when you depress the gas pedal. Mine whines on my 96, and then if I'm up to speed, i.e. on the freeway, the noise drops / stops as the pump meets the fuel demand requirements.

Joe

I hear its from the cats. but not sure

Pretty much everyone has thought it was the exhaust. I'm putting a Borla on this weekend, no cats. I'll let you know if it goes away. I've had it go and come back over the years with long drives. Right after my regear it was gone for a month or so, posted as to that effect then it came back and bit me in the a$$.

I heard a whine (related to rpm) a while after putting the SC on. In my case, it turned out to be a not-tight-enough hose clamp on the air intake plenum. Maybe your's is related to air intake too?
Tom

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=4112;start=0#msg30350 date=1060041393]
no cats. .
[/quote]

You going catless? I like that idea 8)
kurt

I'm pretty sure mine is exhaust, it's much more noticeable with the rear hatch open. The volume changes with engine effort, the tone remains fairly constant, like a wind instrument when you blow harder. That's why I think exhaust for my noise. It's just noticeable most of the time, don't hear it in my wife's 80.

Welcome to the world of Land Cruisers ... I seem to remember remarking on the same thing when I got mine . And I remember my fj40 making it's own soothing whine as well . Wise to err on the side of caution , but it may just be the character of the beast ;)

Tyler

Drop in a S/C and you'll know exactly what the whine is:

1. Your wallet.
2. The local gas company. (they won't be whining though...)
3. Your significant other.

sorry... couldn't help it.

I thought that an SC would increase mileage a little? ??? ???

[quote author=wob link=board=2;threadid=4112;start=0#msg30457 date=1060099374]
[/quote]
They say that about the 4barrel carb, till you get on it 8)
kurt

Any type of forced induction should theoretically (and actually) improve gas consumption b/c they improve volumetric efficiency. And as we engineers are fond of saying, the more efficient it is, the cheaper it is. Unfortunately, efficiency is not related to human impulse, and the sound a 4-barrel carb makes is just as intoxicating as the sound of a belt driven blower or my GT35/40 turbo on my road race car. Yummy. It's when that impulse overrides your right foot, that your gas mileage goes down. You find me one person that drives his vehicle the same way he did before he switched to forced induction, and I'll show you a very bored individual.

[quote author=wob link=board=2;threadid=4112;start=0#msg30457 date=1060099374]
[/quote]

This is what you tell the wife, when you want to spend your I mean our $ :D
kurt

This noise seems to come from the rear of the truck, so not sure about it being a P/S pump. Doesn't sound like exhaust, but I suppose it could be. I'm just grabbing at straws here.

Oops....you said fuel pump.....yeah I guess thats a possibility

When the fuel pump got noisy in my Audi it was most noticeable at idle, from outside the car. You should hear it for a second when you turn on the key as it brings up pressure. A lot of us have a whine, I haven't heard anyone found it was the fuel pump.

I am sure there is a way to test run the fuel pump. Just look in the FSM for directions. I did it on my Hilux with FI.
kurt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom