HID projector headlights. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The Dapper website has a 'Note:' that these lights are not DOT approved. Is that something Dapper is working on? Or is that merely a formality and that no HID aftermarket kits ever will be?

The lenses have dot stamps on them. But dapper can comment on getting certifications.

Personally, i feel completely unconcerned about dot certification. :meh:

I just ordered dapper lighting 4x6 hid projectors for my lx! Ill report back with results

The lenses have dot stamps on them. But dapper can comment on getting certifications. Personally, i feel completely unconcerned about dot certification. :meh:

The housings may be DOT Certified. However the projectors are not. The projectors that Dapper is using exceed the beam pattern for DOT certification, so your headlights will pass a DOT/MOT with flying colors.

Last edited:
The housings may be DOT Certified. However the projectors are not. The projectors that Dapper is using exceed the beam pattern for DOT certification, so your headlights will pass a DOT/MOT with flying colors.

All our products are FMVSS compliant with halogen bulbs. HIDs are illegal no matter what so no way of getting around that. As long as you're properly aimed and not running 10K HID bulbs, you'll get more compliments from LEOs than complaints.

We'll have some fully legal (Projectors DOT certified/stamped) units in a few months.

Here's the dapper with 35 watt 5000k

image-1519886569.jpg

image-2699030510.jpg

image-896138199.jpg

The back of the bulb where the wires enter to the battery is about 2"

Thanks for the write up and photos, Mace.

I couldn't decide between Dapper Lighting and HID Projectors, but needed projection headlights before thanksgiving, so my bro could install it for me and teach me some electronics along the way.

Prices were comparable from both companies for the HID w/halo, but Dapper is located NorCal and could ship to me quicker.

Ben from Dapper was helpful and helped me choose the Classic V2 with 35w bulb for my troopy.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1417066543.664450.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1417066578.580148.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1417066599.296664.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1417066639.503827.jpg

We noticed the halos were not on and read that it can be connected to the parking lights. Off to the store to buy spade connectors and T-tap connectors.

Last edited:
Ben's a good dude..

Now that I'm driving to work in the dark and home in the dark, I still really appreciate the additional light these produce.. I'm definately going to grab another set for the Scout and Bug project I'm working on when the time comes.

Has anyone used the 4x6" version yet? Did they just plug in? I read something about an h3 bulb or something but I have an h1-h4 set up
I have 2 pr 4x6 lights on my HJ61 and I ended up spending big bucks on JW speaker LED highs and lows. However on my car I got aftermarket HID projector low beams and separate HID high beams because I was doing alot of driving in the dark. I had to be careful about aiming so as not to piss anyone off, but holy cow, it's just a treat driving in the dark now. I consider my stock lights dangerous. I would never see a deer by the side of the road, and was always wondering what was 100 yards ahead. If you get 4x6 xenon projectors, I think you will be happy.

Question for dapper... How do these stand up to an occasional dunk in the water? I'm not talking about full out water crossings but here in Oregon we can have some "mud holes" that I've been known to part take in...

Am I asking for trouble using these lights?

I picked up a set opf the new 7" V2 lights to compare. The projector is significantly bigger than the Versions I currently have. Also, the V1's have air vents in the housing itself. The V2 do not seem to. So @brokenparts, it sure seems to be more likely that the V2 7" projectors will fit your needs better.

Also, they put out more light. (Those pics will be posted tonight!)

The back side
IMAG0846.jpg

So, a couple comparisons..
V1 lights
IMAG0839.jpg

V2 compared to the sealed beam halogen head lights
IMAG0852.jpg

V2 vs V1
IMAG0848.jpg
not half bad really, but here is the V2 on both sides
IMAG0853.jpg

Cut off is better, and light output it increased..

High beams
IMAG0854.jpg

All light output is increased. I do need to spend some time adjusting the headlights, cause they are really bright!

BTW, this comparison is using the same HID bulbs. I just swapped out the reflectors..
Amazing the difference..

The cutoff in the V2 lights is significantly better, which is a very good thing.
The difference between the high beams and the low beams is a physical shield that moves up and down.

The whole system is cool!!

kinda like this.

post-15320-0-86806300-1344358005.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom