HID projector headlights. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just got this in from a customer. 7" Classic Chrome with 35W 5000K Ballasts.

Let there be light....

Low_High_grande.gif

Okay, that is a cool .gif...

How's the high beam on these hid's? I'm really interested in this kit cause those low beams are crazy! But if the high beam isn't that great... I've got hella h4's with 80/100 watt bulbs. And Eric's harness. I just want to know if it's going to worth it. Also do you know if Eric's harness would interfere with this? Or perhaps make it better?

Ericks harness is not necessary at all. The hid's have their own replacement harnesses.

Ericks harness is not necessary at all. The hid's have their own replacement harnesses.
Good to know, thanks! How's the high beam on these lights? It looks like the low beam is definitely brighter than what I'm running. Can you maybe take a picture of the highs on a dark street or in the woods? Nearly hit an elk the other night and even with my upgraded lights i didn't see him until the last second. Scared to poo out of me.

I'll grab a shot tonight.

Thanks mace!

Interesting comment earlier about hid putting out no more than incandescent. Seems to fly in the face of common sense and everything I have ever read in the subject from any source.

Can you support it with any documentation?

Mark...

Pics against my garage door.
Low beam and high beam. I really need to do this out in the boonies..

20131217_183730.jpg

20131217_183737.jpg

Pics taken "on the road" to show light strength and or beam pattern can be problematic. It is tough to relay an accurate perception. Black pavement and mowed shoulders, sandy dirt road surrounded by sage brush, muddy two track through heavy woods... Or a snow covered river with frosty woods on each side... they all result in significant differences in the appearance of light output. :(

Mace, it looks like the high beam has a higher cut off, but still has one? And the center "hot spot" is diffuse and not tightly focused like a spot our even a driving pattern?

Mark...

Yeah, there still is a cutoff. But it is high enough that it's immaterial. My driveway is sloped and I was on the pavement.

Agreed on the difference between light on the road and off road. I know what my sealed beams provided light wise. These produce significantly more lumens in near vision and distance.

I need to get out on a dirt road and re-install the sealed beams. Take a pic of the available light, then plug the Projection lamps in and take a pic of that. It's really huge difference.

That being said, Mark, I would not recommend these lights for your purposes. The HID bulb needs a non sealed housing to function. Submerging them for any period of time would fill the housings with muddy water. I'm working on sealed vac tubing that would prevent that from happening and give the proper venting for the bulbs.

I would not install hids in any of my trail rigs, or even the ones that are mainly street rigs that might be tasked for trail duty. Like you refer to, waterproofing is of paramount importance.
But I have a beautiful '97 anniversary edition FZJ80 that is not gonna see any trail time and a motorcycle that is getting renovated. On both of these I am pondering using hids or leds over "burning wires" by the time I actually put either of them back on the road.

So I am watching products, developments and costs...

Concerned more with the '80... Winters here are long and dark and there are too many moose on the roads. :(

For trail use, lighting is not really a factor for the largest part of our time in the field. Once the snow gets deep, it really restricts wheeled vehicle access. We do manage a few winter runs in some areas, but the biggest part of our trail time coincides with really extended daylight hours.

I often remove auxiliary lights from trail rigs in the summer and swap high ends headlights for inexpensive ones. Loosing then to brush or recoiling recovery straps when they are not even needed on the rig is irritating.

Mark...

Last edited:
Yep I must have had a dream about the HID vs Halogen thing because after looking everywhere for data to support my argument and consulting some members at CPF it appears I am without much doubt WRONG.

I retract my statement and apologise for misleading the good members of this forum.

Thanks for the write up Mace. I've been looking for a solution to upgrade the lighting.

Edit: Bought, same setup. thx again.

Last edited:
Thanks for the write up Mace. I've been looking for a solution to upgrade the lighting.

Edit: Bought, same setup. thx again.

Just shipped the order out. We included the HID harnesses in case you ever want to upgrade to HIDs. Just need some H1 bulbs and ballasts and they'll plug right in.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey guys, We're looking for someone to test out our latest Classic V2 kit. We've beefed up the projector and added a bright white LED halo.

The output is fantastic and on par with all the new cars on the market.

We're offering 20% off for high res photos and a short write up.

We currently only have the halo version in stock.

http://www.dapperlighting.com/collections/projector-headlights/products/dapper-lighting-7-inch-classic-v2-projector-kit

Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Thanks!
Ben

Offer one in a 4x6" variety!

Awesome!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom