1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hi po 2f or v8?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by dylan, Aug 3, 2003.

1. dylan

dylan

my old 2f is getting tired,i like the 2f ,lots of torque at low rpms, reliable.i use to think v8 swap but my buddy with a v8 (327)has no low rpm torque(always stalls or has to give'r) so know I'm thinking built 2f with either hi compersion pistons or later f head and rv cam, sor header with dual exaust, weber carb,hp ignition, etc. what do you guys think?

thanks.

2. hammerhead

hammerhead

If you like the 2F, pump your 2F, but dont judge the smallblock by the lame performance of a 327. When you put a car motor in a truck it's probably gonna run like a car. A car with an automatic transmission wasn't built to make any torque. If you want to make a fair comparison, come drive mine. I've had a car motor and it sucked. I now run a used truck motor that had many miles on it when I got it. Whole different ball game.

3. Rice

Rice SILVER Star

Media:
    Dylan,

It sounds very much like the 327 is overcammed or is simply tired. Any chevy small block including 265, 283, 302 and on up will produce nice low end torque when built correctly. Really big valves, big cams, big headers, single plane intakes and big carbs simply move the torque curve up the RPM range leaving the low RPM range weak. Granted, a well built 2F is an awesome motor you can't go wrong with, just know the 327 isn't weak because it was inherit of the motor.

4. woody

woody Internet Fireman Staff Member

Media:
    my old 350 carbie with the SM465 would grunt so slowly I was frequently accused of running an automatic...

the 350 TBI I have now doesn't grunt as slow, but still rocks offroad.

IMO, it's personal preference...either will work. Price is likely your determining factor, plus the long-term thots on yer rig. If you do the 2F build, plan on fuel injection while yer in there.

5. axlechassis

axlechassis

A buddy has a 327 in his 40 and it was getting real doggy. Barely got out of it own way. He was thinking maybe it was tired and needed an overhaul. I sugested a tune up. Shazzam! It ran like a raped ape after that. I guess even a V8 needs a tune up once in a while.

6. petescoffee

petescoffee

If you rebuild-
    Deck the block
    Shave the head
    Use stock pistons
    RV cam
    Stock carb-Rebuilt
    HEI ignition or similar
    Downey Ceramic Header
    2 1/2" exhaust out a MAgna or Flow master
    Loose the smog