Here comes the Walrus - my 87 FJ60 build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Back from paint

Ok, got her back from paint a week ago...finishing up putting all the bits back on (lights, etc) slow going as its tough to find time lately - works crazy. Hoping to be done on the exterior this week. Interior's going to take me a bit I think (want to try to make some new interior panels, new carpet). Here are some pix when I went to pick her up....too bad it was grey out and had rained a little. All chrome is gone too, the PC door handles look so good. Going to have to hit Kevin R. up for some WLS...glass guy refused to do it (afraid he'd break the glass or scratch the paint)...and the local guy I went to for the WLS said he couldn't get it...grr. :bang:

Came out better than I had hoped to be honest and I'm really happy with the new color...they did a great job. Had them weld shut the holes where that bottom chrome strip went. Will have to take a shot of the engine bay...looks too clean. I'm most happy that now I'm 100% sure there's no rust hiding on me...probably the biggest relief.

Next update will probably come after the engine swap is done. That is unless we get a sunny day and I can get some good shots. :cheers:

Paint_done#4.jpg

Paint_done#3.jpg

Paint_done#1.jpg

Paint_done#4.jpg

Paint_done#3.jpg

Paint_done#1.jpg

I took the Grigio Antares (Lambo color) and had them darken it 20% (basically they just doubled the black portion of the mix). Couldn't be happier with it, exactly what I was looking for....looks amazing in the sun. Now just cant wait to get her covered in dirt. :)

Progress continues

Dropped the Walrus off at Tor's last Friday. Stopped by today to check her out.

New OME going in. Definitely prefer paying to have this done this time vs when I did my FJ40 by myself. :)

suspension.jpg

Soon to be stuffed full of V8 awesomeness.

Engine bay.jpg

Did feel a little sad seeing the old engine sitting on the ground....but I'm sure I'll get over it as soon as I get to step on the skinny pedal.

Next update will probably come when she's done. Tor will also be putting the ARB bull bar and 4x4 Labs rear tire carrier on.

:cheers:

suspension.jpg

Engine bay.jpg

Looking terrific, Major. Curious to get your feedback on the V8 once done. I need to get up and see Torfab one of these days. Great guys.

Cheers!

looking good man! great color .. mixing black here and there is going to look sick!

ratchet strap trick is the magic to get the axle / springs to move around and get bolts lined up..

Ok, only one picture now...I'll get some this weekend with everything that's been completed....but this is the important one.

Jason - thanks for your IM...tons of great info on building the panels...been a huge help.

Finally getting around to the panels this weekend. Stripped them down last weekend and got the hardboard and MDF. Still need to place my order on the vinyl...trying to decide which ones to get from Key West Vinyl...going to try to make some inserts for them. Also planning to get the WLS installed this weekend. Then come the other projects:
-install the wagongear rear storage (going to harbor freight to buy a cheap angle grinder for the piece you can't cut with a jig saw.
-order the sound deadener. Probably going with hushmat, want to buy the other supplies from Don at http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ but haven't received a response back on my email. Anyone else know of a good source for virgin MLV (don't want to take a chance with the smell of MLV made from regrind.
-new carpet is on its way,went with a really nice 40oz marine grade carpet....going to try to do this one myself...God help me, i hope I don't screw it up.
Hoping to make some good progress this weekend....told the :princess: that I refuse to do anything aside from parking my :moon: in the garage and getting to work on the Walrus.

Killing me to walk by the Walrus and not be driving her everywhere.....mainly want the WLS in before I'm out in the rain all the time up here. Other note I have literally 1ft of total clearance in my garage (from the front to the garage door)...new bull bar and rear tire carrier made it a little nerve wracking - thought I might not be able to park in the garage...would not have liked that up in the PNW.

If we actually get some sun (or at least no rain)...I'll finally get some more pictures up.

I also need to post some proper feedback on Tor and his team up at Torfab. It might not be cheap (really can't be when you're stuffing a V8 and new tranny into one of these...and making sure it all works)...but the work they do is worth every penny and then some. On top of that he's just cool as hell.

Cheers

Last edited:
-new carpet is on its way,went with a really nice 40oz marine grade carpet....going to try to do this one myself...God help me, i hope I don't screw it up.
Hoping to make some good progress this weekend....told the :princess: that I refuse to do anything aside from parking my :moon: in the garage and getting to work on the Walrus.

Cheers

MN, Make a template from packing paper first. Lay it out and then cut it a couple inches long around the perimeter. This will save you a lot of frustration by trying not to manhandle carpet in a tight area. You will use more carpet area, but it will reduce the seams you have to sew.

The front carpet will be your cut and sew challenge. The marine carpet is rubber backed (or mine is) so a heat gun won't do you much good. When you get a rise or buckle in the carpet where a post or raised floor panel is.. cut a slit through the center to the opposite side of buckle of the way the carpet needs to relax and lay close to the panel. (this allows the long end to slide in behind the cut line and make a nice seam to sew) Pull the longer end in through the slit, pin the overlap to get the slack out and then sew the seam closed.. Go slow when sewing and use the nylon thread with the leather/vinyl needles as previously discussed. When you make your template you can practice the technique on the packing paper.

Call me if this too confusing or need help.

My wife laughs at me because I use her sewing machine more than she does... I thought taking HOME MECH in school was a great way to be around all the gals.... UNFORTUNATELY, they were all ugly as sin.. :doh: SO, I PAID ATTENTION INSTEAD and learned quite a bit...

Staying in the garage is the only way to get it done. GL

:cheers:

J

well, finally got off my but (ie found some time to not be stuck doing work, or projects for the :princess:. Got all the panels cut and the mdf waterproofed. hope to get the back quarters done this week then start assembling the door panels (those will probably be tricky for me). Being the first time I've done this made a TON of stupid mistakes. Dad always said, measure twice, cut once. Feel like i measured 25, cut 24. many re-do's on the spacers and rings...plus screwed up one of the quarter MDF panels on the first try. (easy suggestion...never try to make a straight cut with a jig saw blade made for curves...you'll look like a drunk when you're done). could have saved myself a ton of time if i just really thought each thing through in the slightest bit...oh well, was still fun. Here are the rings and quarters all waterproofed with fiberglass resin.

The chalk outline on the front panel is what the cutout is going to look like (hopefully)....using a carbon fiber vinyl (looks more like solid version of hounds tooth fabric) with the Fake leather vinyl as the main fabric.

Panel.JPG

panel#2.JPG

panel#3.JPG

front door panel.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom