Here comes the Walrus - my 87 FJ60 build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well a little back story here. About a year ago I ended up buying my 77FJ40….had always wanted to get a classic auto…and these rigs just kept growing on me….still in love with the buy. Only issue for me is that I just can’t use it as much as I like (tough to do with the wife, 2 kids and the dog). Also, feel compelled to keep it stock (aside from a lift and front bumper) as it’s the original paint and only has 20K miles to it – so not the ideal long distance vehicle for trips. It’s so much fun to drive that it I actually stopped liking my current DD (’08 535i, manual trans to boot). So I came up with the perfect solution. Sell my DD Get an FJ60! Somehow I got my wife to agree to this.

Spent the good part of the last 8 months looking every day…and finally found the rig to hatch my evil plans upon, here it is a 87 FJ60, metallic bronze, here she is:

photo#2.jpg

Same owner since 1989. The guy has truly loved and cared for this truck. Engine bay was cleaner than most 2 year old cars, kept records of every single oil change, every part that’s gone onto the rig. The interior in very good shape (cracked dash, not too bad), slight tear in the driver’s seat, other seats in amazingly good condition. He worked as a handy man and this had been his work truck….other than that it was used for a few skiing trips with the family, interior’s pretty much pristine. Just a very cool British dude.

Me and Alan.jpg

So this leads to where the name for my new rig comes from. In his listing quoted “The Walrus and the Carpenter” by Lewis Carroll. Thought that was pretty cool, and definitely not often seen in a sales listing (was my first clue that this wasn’t just a truck to the guy). So even though I’m no huge fan of the Beetles, nor have I ever cared for Alice in Wonderland thought the name fit the rig and so was born “The Walrus”, thought it was a nice tribute to him and how he’s cared for it for the last 24 years, and it fit the rig.
After picking her up the family and I hit the road (we’d flown down to spend some time with family). Our route home took us through Utah, Idaho, and Oregon as we made our way back to Seattle. The girls could barely contain their excitement....girls

sleeping girls.jpg

Sadly, Shogun didn’t get to make this trip, he was bummed out

sad shogun.jpg

photo#2.jpg

Me and Alan.jpg

sleeping girls.jpg

sad shogun.jpg

Well, once we got through LA and Vegas we stopped the night in St George. Then on to Zion national park the next day. Just wow.

IMG_2565.jpg

The locals were very impressed. Yes, young buck you are right...it is a FJ60

IMG_2578.jpg

The scariest part of the trip for me....the grin on my :princess:'s face...i think she plans on stealing this from me

IMG_2568.jpg

Proof that Trojans and Bruins can live in harmony (except one day a year)

IMG_2565.jpg

IMG_2578.jpg

IMG_2568.jpg

Very nice car, 20k is new, everybody mentions the oil galley plug so I just follow the crowd on that one.
Nice pictures, the kid in the cargo bay seems a bit lost :grinpimp:

The maintenance manual is very handy as a start and general idea of what is coming up, maybe don't spent to much time now on looks and first start with a change of all fluids, some hardware like tie-rods, brakes etc.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6D936BcfemZTGpOcFNSdWxNX1E/edit?pli=1

Next stop was Bryce Canyon, wow again. We need to come back this way for a two week camping trip

IMG_2646.jpg

IMG_2600.jpg

Ok, that's it for now. I'll get some more pix posted of the tear down in process and what i have planned for this rig. :cheers:

IMG_2646.jpg

IMG_2600.jpg

Very nice car, 20k is new, everybody mentions the oil galley plug so I just follow the crowd on that one.
Nice pictures, the kid in the cargo bay seems a bit lost :grinpimp:

The maintenance manual is very handy as a start and general idea of what is coming up, maybe don't spent to much time now on looks and first start with a change of all fluids, some hardware like tie-rods, brakes etc.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6D936BcfemZTGpOcFNSdWxNX1E/edit?pli=1

Thanks...its the 77 that's only got 20K miles on it. The Walrus has 247K on the clock and one poor re-spray from about 6 years ago...that's already getting addressed. I've got some serious improvements planned for her.

Very cool.:cheers:

Just one word of advice..or actually a couple.
Go slow with the mods. Don't go to the point where you might not enjoy driving it. It can and does happen. Especially when it comes to changing gears, tires and things that affect handling.

That 40 is super sweet too.

Nice rig mate, looking forward to the build

Cool truck. Good luck with your evil plans.

Very nice! Yes 1 is not enough cruisers but maybe 2 or 3.....Drive it for awhile ,it will tell you what it needs. Most of all have fun . Mike

Very cool.:cheers:

Just one word of advice..or actually a couple.
Go slow with the mods. Don't go to the point where you might not enjoy driving it. It can and does happen. Especially when it comes to changing gears, tires and things that affect handling.

That 40 is super sweet too.

X2, stay off the expo crack pipe. That thing is sweet.

Real nice and fitting name, Walrus. Looks like you have real solid platform to begin modifying. Good luck

Nice rig, and it's The Best Color Ever (same as mine). Also, sweet looking pup. Akita, right?

Correct on the Akita....the color will be changing (only slightly though)...pictures and details coming.

Great story and photos. My FJ62 ('88) is about the same color, had one owner, and has 243K. Mine isn't as clean, but is headed that way.

I doubt I'll modify it - don't really need an expo rig. As Mark Whatley put it, 'Land Cruisers are amazing for what they can do in a stock configuration, much less modified' (or words to that effect).

Ok, here are the plans and current status of the rig, nothing crazy...but purists won't be happy with me (for the purists, please refer to my FJ40, hopefully that'll appease you). Plans first (motto is do what I can, pay for what I can't)

- Vortec engine swap by TorFab (already have a '05 engine purchased with ~52K miles :)
- Full respray (all glass pulled, doors off, interior stripped out). Going with a slight variant to the stock 4E8 color.
- ARB bull bar
- Rear tire carrier (most likely 4+)
- OME suspension
- New wheels/tires
- Black out of all chrome
- BMW seats
- Wagongear rear tailgate storage
- Sound deadening for interior
- Might do new carpet and door panels
- Tinted windows, new regulators for all the doors
- Tuffy console
- New sound system

Think that covers it...nothing too radical, but quite a long list. Here are some pix

Stripped down for the trip to the body shop

P1080955.jpg

P1080956.jpg

Getting loaded up for the trip to the body shop...Gotta love AAA, trip there covered. :)

P1080958.jpg

How she looks at the shop now...no doors, glass, etc

interior.JPG

Interior all out...much roomier

bodyshop1.jpg

P1080955.jpg

P1080956.jpg

P1080958.jpg

interior.JPG

bodyshop1.jpg

Color update

Ok, so for the question on what color I'm planning on. I do like the stock color...but in certain light it has almost a purple tint....decided I wanted something similar to it, but a little deeper color...more bronze to it. So here's the color I'm going with (feel free to flame, not 100% locked on the color yet, but darn close).

Nara bronze from the LR Defender series.
land rover.jpg

So I'm going to have a "world vehicle" Japanese body/Frame, aussie suspension, American engine, german seats, and a british paint job....covers most of the globe I guess.

land rover.jpg

Great color choice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom