Helping hand for some beer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I am in the process of getting my 80 ready to move out to Utah and tow a small Uhaul. I have worked my way though much of what I could get done in my driveway here with hand tools. I am now in the process of giving her new fluids, I am passively flushing the transmission, I have changed the Rear Diff Fluid (Lucus Full Synthetic 70-140W) and the Transfer Case (Lucus Full Synthetic 70-90W), but I am completely jammed up on the front diff plugs. I have been using a 24mm hex impact socket as suggested, I have tried heating it up, banging it with a hammer, yelling at it...now I could use someone with some air tools before I get myself into trouble here and strip the plug.

I am trying to save every penny we have for the move, so I would love to avoid a shop bill to outsource this. Does anyone have any free time in the coming weeks to pop this guy off, in trade for a 12 pack of your choice? We don't leave for another ~50 days, so this isn't a huge rush, but I would like to make sure my rig is in as good of shape as she can be before I push it 1800 miles in the summer heat.

I appreciate any help possible, even if its a honest shop that will loosen my plugs without taking my lunch money.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I could probably get that off, however my week is booked solid and then I'll be out of town next week.

Send me a reminder message after the 8th and you can swing by and we can try to break it loose.

Great, thank you Cameron, I really appreciate that. I will send you a message after you get back in town and see when would work for you.

Have you sprayed it with anything yet? If not, hit it a few times a day with PB Blaster for several days. THEN, grab that impact again.

was there some magic in that you take the top plug out first before trying the lower one? I recall reading that on the board...don't know first hand if that makes a difference, but I recall reading that here on the board a few times. Don't round off any of the bolt head....bad news after that..

Top plug needs to come out first because if you pull the bottom one, drain the diff, THEN find out the top one is stuck, you're SOL on getting fluid back in there. Always need a way to replace before removing the old.

OP, I'm back in town now after several weeks of travel, but if you still need an impact I have a 1/2" drive (methinks) that is a plug in variety we can try with.

We ended up getting it out. My impact couldn't break it loose though. That's the first time it's been rejected. We got it with a long breaker bar.

That's gonna affect your impact's self esteem. Counseling....

Glad to hear you got it squared away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom