Help with wiring Hella 500 Lights (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

Sort of a newbie here, so bear with me.

I got these Hella 500 fog lamps to mount on the front of my 60. I'm no electrician but thought I would be able to handle a relatively simple install such as this one. I've followed the directions, watched youtube videos and tried searching around forums with little luck. What am I doing wrong? I have power, all the lines seem correct and I think everything is grounded properly. Some people said the blue wire from the lights is the hot wire, I've tried both without success. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

image4.JPG

From the lights, it doesn't matter which is ground and which is hot. This only true for halogen or tungsten lights, not for LED lights.

It's not possible to tell what's plugged in where on the relay by the way you took that picture.

It's hard to tell which blue is going to the switch and what the switch does when you switch it. I'm guessing it switches the center connection between the top and bottom connections? You probably only need two connections on that switch and not three.

I assume you have a multimeter and know how to use it? At least a trouble light?

Once you've got it figured out, you should use proper crimp connectors at each joint. Solder connections and shrink-wrap tubing are even better.

Start with light to ground and battery. Then figure out what it takes to get the relay to 'click' with respect to ground and battery. Then add the switch between the hot and the relay so you can 'click' the relay with the switch. Finally, move the hot to the hot output of the relay.

Do you have any pictures of your grounds? Is there an inline fuse between the positive battery connection and the relay?

Either way there are some things that I would highly recommend doing like using proper connectors and making sure to use more than wires twisted together to make connections.

~Jeff

For a set of lights like these what would be a proper fuse for them? And if the OP can, give up a picture of the front of the relay so we can verify that the correct terminals are being used please. I'd start checking with a multimeter and see if possibly you get a bad relay as well.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll work on getting some better photos of the relay and grounds for you.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a multimeter or soldering tool as I am traveling for work and thought this would be a nice weekend project. I had planned on purchasing better connectors as well, just wanted to get the lights working first before I made anything permanent.

Jeff - There is an inline fuse that goes from the relay to the battery. It's a 15 amp fuse and isn't burnt out or anything, that was the first thing I checked. I will definitely get better connectors for the wires.

Ok, so I made some changes in the wiring, mostly just added proper connectors to the switch and between the lights. Here are some pics of the grounds and under the relay. Thanks again for the help!

image1(1).JPG

image2(1).JPG

image3(1).JPG

image4(1).JPG

It appears from the pictures that your relay is not properly wired, if the blue wire at pin is grounded and red goes to constant 12v the relay will be energized all the time. here are a couple diagrams to help out with wiring the relay. follow the pin number not the color of the wire on the relay plug. and Please get some proper connectors this will save you a lot of headache down the road.

relay-wiring-diagram-The-left-side-is-the-pin-out-of-the-point-is-sticking-out-from-at-the-bottom-and-the-the-right-side-is-showing-a-schematic-representation-of-the-relay-circuitry.jpg

basically the easiest way to think about a relay is it is a magnetic switch.
when pin 86 is energized with 12v it completes the circuit with pin 85 and closes the switch, connecting 87 and 30

ice-cube-iso-relay-Wire-diagrams-easy-simple-detail-baja-designs-electric-relay-wiring-diagram.jpg

TP

It appears from the pictures that your relay is not properly wired, if the blue wire at pin is grounded and red goes to constant 12v the relay will be energized all the time. here are a couple diagrams to help out with wiring the relay. follow the pin number not the color of the wire on the relay plug. and Please get some proper connectors this will save you a lot of headache down the road.

relay-wiring-diagram-The-left-side-is-the-pin-out-of-the-point-is-sticking-out-from-at-the-bottom-and-the-the-right-side-is-showing-a-schematic-representation-of-the-relay-circuitry.jpg

basically the easiest way to think about a relay is it is a magnetic switch.
when pin 86 is energized with 12v it completes the circuit with pin 85 and closes the switch, connecting 87 and 30

ice-cube-iso-relay-Wire-diagrams-easy-simple-detail-baja-designs-electric-relay-wiring-diagram.jpg

TP

Thank you!! Don't worry, proper connectors acquired :)

Just to be clear, you're saying that in the picture I provided where the yellow wire is, should be red, where the red wire is should be blue, and where the blue wire is should be yellow? Is this something I can change or do I need a new relay?

Thanks again!

Just to be clear, you're saying that in the picture I provided where the yellow wire is, should be red, where the red wire is should be blue, and where the blue wire is should be yellow? Is this something I can change or do I need a new relay?

Thanks again!
No new relay required, that is a plug that can be disconnected from the relay.
Auto-Lamp-Holder-JB-EPS005-4-PIN-RELAY-SOCKET-.jpg
attachment.php

just re connect the wire as listed below:
yellow(pin 30)= fused 12v from battery
Black(pin 87)= 12+ to lights
red (pin 86)= 12v+ from switch
blue (pin 85)= ground
(truth be told the blue and red (pin 85 &86) wires are interchangeable, all it is doing it powering a field of the coil to close the contact)

No new relay required, that is a plug that can be disconnected from the relay.
Auto-Lamp-Holder-JB-EPS005-4-PIN-RELAY-SOCKET-.jpg
attachment.php

blue (pin 85)= ground
(truth be told the blue and red (pin 85 &86) wires are interchangeable, all it is doing it powering a field of the coil to close the contact)

You're amazing. Thanks so much! I'll try that tomorrow and relay (har har) the findings!

-Andrew

Alright, slight update. Yellow is now going to battery with inline fuse and I can hear the relay click when power is connected. Progress! However, when I run the red wire to the switch, nothing happens. Still no lights. I am leaning towards a bad switch.

The relay should not click when you plug it in unless the switch lead is energized. If it clicks then pin 87 or your black wire will have 12v+.

I've always wired the switch to the battery as well.

blue (pin 85)= ground

Just a recommendation: Don't use black for +

You don't want to be the next guy's PO. :bang: Better to have black for all negatives and use blue as the positive to the lights. Remember that the two wires coming out of the lights don't matter.

Just a recommendation: Don't use black for +

You don't want to be the next guy's PO. :bang: Better to have black for all negatives and use blue as the positive to the lights. Remember that the two wires coming out of the lights don't matter.
I was only suggesting using the black as stated to avoid confusion on what relay pin I was referring to.
I usually wire my relays up using either insulated female spade connectors with black as a ground or a waterproof type relay and plug.

using a 12v test light, VOM, or a power probe are also very effective trouble shooting tools that get you past the sins of previous owners.
In my experience I never go by color when trouble shooting

Not to be a dick but your wiring is dangerous and haggard and you should stop until someone can properly teach you.

I don't see the problem of his wiring since he's trying to get it to work. Now if that was the final outcome I'd say differently.

I am wondering how this turned out. Did I see 250Volt on that switch? Wrong switch for 12 volt system. The relay plug has numbers on it that matches the cube. Match up the relay plug to the drawings and it should work. That is a generic plug and the wire color doesn't mean squat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom