1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with bad grinding noise

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by jeepeater, Jan 21, 2003.

1. jeepeater

jeepeater

I have a 75 FJ40, 350 conversion, turbo 400, 4 inch lift ect. When I decelerate in 4 wheel drive I have a very bad grinding-vibration, in the front but I cant find the problem. I have checked the Ujoints and there is no metal in the front diff. Transfer case maybe? please help, thanks.

2. woody

woody Internet Fireman Staff Member

Media:
    You drive around in 4wd? Like, on the road?

Front input bearing on the t-case - pinion bearings - u-joints - first three I'd check.

IMO, if your not either A> stuck or B> somewhere you might get stuck, your hubs should not be locked in. VERY hard on the front driveline, and adds a lot of unnecessary wear.

3. jeepeater

jeepeater

I live in Montana and there is a foot of snow outside my door that is why I am driving with it in 4x4, thanks for the input.. I will check my bearings. Everything feels smooth when I spin things by hand however.

4. woody

woody Internet Fireman Staff Member

Media:
    then you fall in the B> category...lol

Does it happen in 2wd with the hubs unlocked?

Does it happen with the hubs locked but the t-case in 2wd?

Does it happen with the hubs unlocked and the t-case in 4wd?

5. jeepeater

jeepeater

I can only get it to happen with hubs and T-case locked, runs smooth if one or the other isnt locked in, so there has to be some resistance in order for the (noise/vibration) to start up. The driveline and U-joints are perfect-no slop anywhere. Thanks for the input