help with a PTO winch set up on a split transfer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Indestructible 47

SILVER Star
Threads
So here's the story. I'm getting a PTO winch to fit on my 12/81 (82 production build) HJ47 and am currently looking at two possible options. Both are genuine Toyota PTO's but one is off of a Fj45 and is in a not so good condition, while the other is off a 75 series and is in better condition. My question is I have a split transfer case so will the one off of the FJ45 work? also is there much of a difference between the two? I don't know too much about PTO's so some help would be much appreciated.
cheers

the fj45 pto will fit if its off a split case, if its off an early 1 piece transfercase it wont fit

one on the left with the offset bolt pattern is off the early transfer case and the one on the right with even bolt pattern is off a split case

0000000000.jpg

thanks for that, I am beginning to understand. so that drive you've shown mounts to the side of the transfer? also could the older winch be driven by the split case's driving gear; is the winch the same?
(thanks for your help)

The winch will work off any of the PTOs as it's the driveline that make it work. The PTO shown for the split T case is a single direction. The 40 series were two direction option even on the split T case. The linkage to operate the PTO was simpler on the one piece transfer case PTO (pre 8/80) it pivoted off a stud mounted to the top plate of the transmission. Early split T case I believe had a handle that mounted to the frame and used a cable to the PTO. I've never seen more than pictures. Believe it was late in 82 with the start of the of 83 model it was back on the transmission except it had a special bracket depending on which transmission it was mounted. I have split T case PTO from one mounted to a H41 four speed manual transmission and another mounted to a A440F automatic transmission. The H41 cam out of HJ47 and is two direction. The other could have been a HJ61 of FJ62 but it's only signal direction. I'm looking into possibly modifying the single direction to a two direction using the parts from a earlier one piece transfer case PTO. From what I can tell the shaft for the shifting fork is the same on both type of split T case PTOs. The same with the housing. Since the signal direction PTO the drive gear only engages when in use it uses a bushing for the gear the fits into the T case. The two direction which is engaged all the time has a ball bearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom