Help removing doors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im trying to take off my doors on the 45 for summer cruiser but for the life of me cannot budge the hinge pins! Always had no prob on my old 40 getting them off but this truck is a bitch. Tips and tricks appreciated!!!

If you have nice paint, flip your windshield forward. Get a punch and a big hammer and bang away. If you have a second person, try opening the doors and putting some upward pressure on the hinges while banging the pins out.

Pro tip: Install the top hinge pin in upside down to make removal easier next time.

Thanks for the tips!

I just ended up unbolting the door from the hinge then it was easier to pop the pin out lol.

Holy hell i cant get 2 of the pins out. Beat on then like mad and wont budge them

they definetly are not aluminum. I honestly dont think they have ever been removed. 2 tops ones popped out pretty easy bttom ones not so much. Ive been spraying them down every few hours. ill try a bigger punch and BFH tomorrow

Have they ever been removed? The pins are aluminum (at least on mine they're aluminum). Perhaps galvanic corrosion has bonded them in there? Have you tried PB blaster or any other spray that helps with loosening up things?

Why do you think yours are aluminum? Post a picture.

Sometimes just loosening the bolts on the hinges so they can move will allow the pins to come out easily. Hinges could be binding the pin if not aligned properly. Once you get them out lightly sand the rust off and oil them, oil them again before you put the pins back in. As long as you take your doors off at least once a year you likely will not have a problem again.

I would also put some kind of anti seize on them when you put them back in, it works for me, and make sure you don't install them where the top of the pin is completely flush with the hinge. I had this problem on mine when I first got it. Good luck.

Why do you think yours are aluminum? Post a picture.

Here is a shot - a magnet doesn't stick but perhaps it is stainless. Just looks more aluminum to me.

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom