Help on adjusting steering wheel gear box

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by skarland, May 6, 2006.

1. skarland

skarland

I am a newbie to car repairs, especialy for a 1994 Land Cruiser. Luckily I found this forum. Quite useful. Know I am not alone for troubleshootings. My problem is loose steering wheel. There is too much freeplay when in parking or highway driving. So I looked through all the posts. And I checked the linkage between steering wheel and the gearbox, and found everything connect well without loose.
    So gearbox settings might be a good try. But I haven't let someone check the wheels bearing, ties etc yet.
    Is there any place I can find detail steps on adjusting gearbox bolt?
    I don't have FSM for it. I found serval FSM for some olders Land Cruisers from http://www.birfield.com/.
    Don't kown which one is the closest to my LC.
    Thank you for your help!
  2. How many miles are on your truck?
  3. skarland

skarland

190K miles
  4. Well maybe at those miles it could be the gear, but I am not a fan of doing this until everything else has been thoroughly checked. On top of the steering box are four bolts that hold the top on. In the middle is a locknut. Loosen the locknut and turn the screw inside the locknut with a flat screwdriver. Clockwise to tighten, counter-clockwise to loosen. Do it a tiny bit at a time, checking the freeplay as you go. When done hold the screw with the screwdriver, hand tighten the nut and then torque nut to 34 ft lbf.
  5. skarland

skarland

Here is the pics comes from carsteering. Is the screw stick out on the right side the locknut you meant?
    Thanks!

[​IMG]
    Last edited: May 6, 2006
  6. skarland

skarland

What kind of tool to measure "torque nut to 34 ft lbf"?
  7. Cruiserhead05

Cruiserhead05 SILVER Star

Torque Wrench
  8. The adjuster is on the upper surface between these four bolts. You'll get to it from the top looking down right behind the battery box. You may also have to remove the plastic curtain from the wheel well to get to the locknut.
    9881G.jpg
  9. skarland

skarland

Hi elmariachi,
    You info is really helpful. I was able to access it after I remove the battery holder. Now it's much better than before.
    I just got this LC serval days ago for only $5200. Still have some minor problems. I found wet oil area around transmission after the engine oil pan. Also on the front wheels. But no oil spots on the ground. Don't know it's normal or not. I will post pics later. Other than that, it still drives like a strong horse. But Mpg is a bit low around 14 on local and highway driving.

10. Glad it helped. I'd suggest wiping off any excess oil and pressure washing your engine bay and drivetrain. Then just watch it for a month. You may find what you think is an oil leak is actually a combination of spilled oil from untidy oil changes and the black gooey undercoating Mr. T sprayed on the drivetrain. Fourteen mpg isn't bad. Good luck.