Help!!! Did I break my Winch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a Warn PowerPlant HD supposed to have 12,000 lbs pulling power. Have had for years with no issues except replacing contactor. Had under a heavy load yesterday and it quit pulling. Everything sounds normal and air compressor still works fine. It just won't pull in or feed out cable. It is not locked up either. What did I break? Everything seems to be in perfect working order...it just won't turn the cable either direction.

Check to see if you're getting power to the motor in either direction. If not, check the switch and the solenoids.

It is getting power. It will turn a little bit but I can literally stop it from turning with my hand. Very little effort.

I have no experience with the Warn Powerplant. Does the motor drive both the winch and compressor, one at a time, through some sort of transmission or shifting mechanism? Or is there a motor for the winch and a separate motor for the winch? If it's just one motor and it works OK for the compressor, you need to look at the "transmission" between them.

Edit: I just looked at the parts diagram. It looks like the compressor is between the motor and the winch. There is a "Mode" selector between them. Have you tried to work the mode selector back and forth to see if something is hung up? Does the selector seem to have full travel. I think your problem must have to do with the "Mode" selector. Perhaps it has some sort of power switching device to prevent it from running in-between modes or with both loads at the same time and that device or its contacts are burned and making poor contact in winch mode. You might see battery voltage at the motor terminals in winch mode, but have insufficient current to actually winch due to burned contacts. Warn has pretty good customer service. Calling them would be a good idea. Good luck.

Parts Diagram Link: http://www.warn.com/truck/ReplacementParts/parts/249/73591A4.pdf

Last edited:
I have no experience with the Warn Powerplant. Does the motor drive both the winch and compressor, one at a time, through some sort of transmission or shifting mechanism? Or is there a motor for the winch and a separate motor for the winch? If it's just one motor and it works OK for the compressor, you need to look at the "transmission" between them.

Edit: I just looked at the parts diagram. It looks like the compressor is between the motor and the winch. There is a "Mode" selector between them. Have you tried to work the mode selector back and forth to see if something is hung up? Does the selector seem to have full travel. I think your problem must have to do with the "Mode" selector. Perhaps it has some sort of power switching device to prevent it from running in-between modes or with both loads at the same time and that device or its contacts are burned and making poor contact in winch mode. You might see battery voltage at the motor terminals in winch mode, but have insufficient current to actually winch due to burned contacts. Warn has pretty good customer service. Calling them would be a good idea. Good luck.

Parts Diagram Link: http://www.warn.com/truck/ReplacementParts/parts/249/73591A4.pdf
Thanks for your help! Yes, warn is great...they are just closed on weekends and am trying to figure out the problem. The switch back and forth works fine and it does try to pull..just no strength. Not sure what I screwed up. Sounds like it's working just fine...just doesn't pull.

I guess an important note is I can turn the spool easily with my hand when it is off and in the locked position.

so you're stuck in neutral essentially? did you check that engagement? Or some clutch issue if there is such a thing on those?

I have had planetary warn winches break the gear that engages the sun gear . Seems to work normally until you load it then nothing . The motor spins and everything seems normal . It is pretty easy to disassemble warn products . Sounds like you warranty is up anyway . Tear it down till you find the issue . I'd look at the motor side first . They pop off pretty easy .

had that happen before and it was a small part inside that broke just cant remember what the hell it was ,sometime old age is a pain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom