Hello... meet my new obsession! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sweet. Let the fun begin!

Beautiful cruisercruiser. This is on stock Springs and shackles? The 33's look like they have a lot of room?
I'm not entirely sure of what modifications may have been done to the suspension. It sits at the same height as my wife's '15 4Runner with 2.5" and 33" tires, so if anything has been done, it's not much. I agree though... the 33s I'm running fit very nicely. The springs are pretty worn, and I plan to replace the entire suspension with the OME setup.

I don't think that's a rude question... i gave $8K for it.
Actually, there's a funny story about how it got the name Uncle Buck and to add to the "cost". Well, I guess it's funny now, but not so much at the time. About 20 days before my wife and I drove across Texas to pick it up, we bought her a 2015 4Runner Trail. We were taking her new vehicle out of town for the first time, and it just happened to be during a nasty ice storm. We probably shouldn't have gone, but I was afraid of losing the opportunity to pick up this Cruiser. Priorities, right?!? :doh: Anyhow, we made it through the storm, and because of the delay it caused, we ended up driving through central Texas late at night. For those of you that haven't driven through the hill country at night... we have deer. Lots of deer. And... you guessed it... we nailed a nice big buck with my wife's brand new, didn't even have tags on it, vehicle. :bang: After that, my wife named it Buck and I had to add the Uncle part. So... I guess technically I should add the insurance deductible and body shop time to the "cost". Oh well... I got a Cruiser dammit! :flipoff2::beer:
Great story. Too funny. We'll sort of funny.

After a short break, I'm finally ready to get busy on Uncle Buck :bounce:. This weekend, I'll be rebuilding my knuckles and Aisin hubs with kits/parts purchased from Cruiser Outfitters (great guys - highly recommended). I'm also replacing my rotors and installing new brake pads and braided steel brake lines that I purchased a while back, but haven't had time to put in.

After that, the next 60 days will be in order as follows, and a I need advice on a few of them...
  1. New suspension lift - I'm torn over Terrain Tamer (per @beno not available until early to mid February), or OME. What say MUD?
  2. New wheels and tires - I'm either going with 33x12.50-15 BFG KO2, or possibly 35x12.50-15 BFG KO2 with a SR kit for extra clearance. Opinions?
  3. New H55 transmission install with clutch kit, ANOTHER RMS :bang:, and whatever else is needed while in there...
  4. Front and rear bumpers and roof rack (need to re-engage @reevesci for this)
  5. New winch (not sure which yet)
  6. New console and carpet
  7. RTT from Cascadia
Also, I'd like to get it into a paint and body shop sometime in January. Unfortunately, there are no reputable shops here in Midland, TX, and I'm at a loss for connections. Any of the Texas cruiser peeps have recommendations for someone fairly close to me?

Thanks all!

After a short break, I'm finally ready to get busy on Uncle Buck :bounce:. This weekend, I'll be rebuilding my knuckles and Aisin hubs with kits/parts purchased from Cruiser Outfitters (great guys - highly recommended). I'm also replacing my rotors and installing new brake pads and braided steel brake lines that I purchased a while back, but haven't had time to put in.

After that, the next 60 days will be in order as follows, and a I need advice on a few of them...
  1. New suspension lift - I'm torn over Terrain Tamer (per @beno not available until early to mid February), or OME. What say MUD?
  2. New wheels and tires - I'm either going with 33x12.50-15 BFG KO2, or possibly 35x12.50-15 BFG KO2 with a SR kit for extra clearance. Opinions?
  3. New H55 transmission install with clutch kit, ANOTHER RMS :bang:, and whatever else is needed while in there...
  7. RTT from Cascadia
Also, I'd like to get it into a paint and body shop sometime in January. Unfortunately, there are no reputable shops here in Midland, TX, and I'm at a loss for connections. Any of the Texas cruiser peeps have recommendations for someone fairly close to me?

Thanks all!

1. I say give terrain tamer a chance... maybe talk to Georg @ Valley Hybrid (@orangefj45) to see if he has something in stock.
2. If you are mounting these on stock wheels be ready to fight with the shop on the mounting. Lots and LOTS of shops are starting to nix the installation of tires on rims that are smaller than the MFG recommended width. All the big name shops will no longer even mount 31x10.5x15 on the stock 15x6 OEM rims.

I'll be happy to help with the project and tech info.
Feel free to call me.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

Cell 650-576-2023

I can offer some input on a few items.

Suspension - I have OME heavy/heavy from Cruiser Outfitters on my hunting rig. It has exceeded my expectations in every way. This truck lives only off-road, takes some serious abuse and spends a lot of time in the mud. I had 1,800 lbs. of corn in it last weekend and the suspension sat level. Can't say enough good. Make sure you get the complete kit with shocks etc.

Bumpers - Jason's work looks great and I would not hesitate to buy from him. However, also check out 4Plus. Dave Gore makes some great bumpers, and I purchased a set from him. The workmanship is second to none and they look great.

Winch - I went with the Warn 9.5 XP and am very happy with it. In fact, it saved me from a hidden mud bog in the middle of a field last weekend. You can buy a much cheaper Chinese knock off but after talking to a number of folks who regretted doing so, I went with something I could rely on long term.

Good luck and enjoy your build!

2. If you are mounting these on stock wheels be ready to fight with the shop on the mounting. Lots and LOTS of shops are starting to nix the installation of tires on rims that are smaller than the MFG recommended width. All the big name shops will no longer even mount 31x10.5x15 on the stock 15x6 OEM rims.

Good point. I should have mentioned that. I'm going with 15x10 American Racing wheels. I was a manager for Discount Tire for about 10 years during a previous life, so I know these issues well... Thanks for the advice on Terrain Tamer!

@orangefj45 ...will be in touch soon.

Winch - I went with the Warn 9.5 XP and am very happy with it. In fact, it saved me from a hidden mud bog in the middle of a field last weekend. You can buy a much cheaper Chinese knock off but after talking to a number of folks who regretted doing so, I went with something I could rely on long term.

I was originally leaning this way, but started to consider other options... maybe I'll reconsider :D

Thanks guys!

7. RTT from Cascadia

Thanks all!

No worries man, life happens... I'll be ready when you are and I'll have a winch option for you as well.

Jason

No worries man, life happens... I'll be ready when you are and I'll have a winch option for you as well.

Thanks, Jason! I'll send you a PM shortly with some changes from what we discussed last.

It was a great weekend wrenching on Uncle Buck!! Not near as difficult as I thought it would be, thanks to everyone here on MUD. Much thanks!

Knuckles rebuilt...check.
Aisin hubs rebuilt...check.
New rotors...check.
New brake pads...check.
New braided steel brake lines...check.

2015-11-28%2013.52.59.jpg

2015-11-29%2015.12.19.jpg

Just dropped Uncle Buck off for some body work and a new paint job!! Woohoo! In 3-4 weeks, I'll be rust free (well, mostly) and have a new coat of root beer. :bounce: To save a few bucks and also do a little investigation myself, I spent the weekend stripping down the interior and taking a few of the trim pieces off the exterior. Bumpers, roof rack, RTT, wheels and tires, aussie mirrors, new carpet, and suspension are all on order. I'm so excited I can hardly stand myself... :beer::beer:
2015-12-07%2007.48.59.jpg

2015-12-07%2007.49.46.jpg

2015-12-07%2007.49.28.jpg

Just dropped Uncle Buck off for some body work and a new paint job!! Woohoo! In 3-4 weeks, I'll be rust free (well, mostly) and have a new coat of root beer. :bounce: To save a few bucks and also do a little investigation myself, I spent the weekend stripping down the interior and taking a few of the trim pieces off the exterior. Bumpers, roof rack, RTT, wheels and tires, aussie mirrors, new carpet, and suspension are all on order. I'm so excited I can hardly stand myself... :beer::beer:
2015-12-07%2007.48.59.jpg

2015-12-07%2007.49.46.jpg

2015-12-07%2007.49.28.jpg

So excited... forgot about the sliders... HA! GONNA LOOK GREAT!

J

So excited... forgot about the sliders... HA! GONNA LOOK GREAT!

J

Oh yeah... Sliders, winch, icrap console, etc., etc.... My checkbook is beginning to smoke!! :D:D

I'm also interested in your front and rear bumpers if they are dent and rust free....

J

Another guy already asked about them... If that falls through, I'll let you know.

5th delivery this week... :eek:

Repeat after me... I do not have a problem. I do not have a problem. I do not... aww..screw it! More toys!!! :flipoff2::flipoff2:
2015-12-11%2017.38.38-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom