hello everyone (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Haha what the guy above me said. :flipoff2:

I usually don't fall into these kinds of threads, but this one is ripe for the picking.

SO lets see:

You believe jeeps are amazing
You want a perfect, locked, maintained 80 for less than a jeep
People are telling you, your expectations are bordering on absurd, considering some of these people look at the used LC market daily for months.

But you come to a LC board and basically tell everyone here they are wrong?

Does that sound about right? If so, a sweet 1991-1997 Jeep Wrangler is cheap you can get those for about $5k and they are amazing. ;)

But if you tried pulling four broken down Jeeps with another Jeep you'd probably blow the tranny. Or break the rear end. Or tweak the frame. Or blow the motor. Or...

156k and it has a 2" or so lift. im not shure where hes getting 14k for a vehicle that almost 20 years old. no, it not worth that much. its not rare by any means and you can find them all over the country for around 5k with the same mileage.

Can you tell me where you can find this kind of truck all over the country for 5k? I spent months looking for mine, then purchased it 300 miles away for nearly $4000 and have since put another $3500 into it for lift, tires and bringing all the maintenance items up to spec. I was a die hard Jeep guy and still like Jeeps. I had a 92 Cherokee before and modified that for more money than I have into my Landcruiser and still did not have electronic or air lockers. I looked at a 97 Wrangler and nearly bought it for $4000 before I became interested in Landcruisers. Please enlighten me with some ads for what you have found as I still have two teenagers to buy vehicles for. If I cannot find one of these cheap Landcruisers, my son may have to drive my 1982 Toyota 4x4 truck and my daughter, her mother's old minivan.

Haha what the guy above me said. :flipoff2:

I usually don't fall into these kinds of threads, but this one is ripe for the picking.

SO lets see:

You believe jeeps are amazing
You want a perfect, locked, maintained 80 for less than a jeep
People are telling you, your expectations are bordering on absurd, considering some of these people look at the used LC market daily for months.

But you come to a LC board and basically tell everyone here they are wrong?

Does that sound about right? If so, a sweet 1991-1997 Jeep Wrangler is cheap you can get those for about $5k and they are amazing. ;)
I never said less than a jeep. I said a 19 year old vehicle with that many miles wasn't worth what he was asking. These aren't diesel and the aren't rare. There old, high mileage vehicles no matter how big a fan and how far in denial someone is.

This is why they are priced right where they are.

i need something that will hold my family/guns/gear/beer and have ac. I want to be able to drive something into the mountains from the desert an not have to trailer it in then worry if my truck is being broke into.

This is what everyone wants. Supply and Demand. Trucks get older, $8k, $10k, $12k, $14k, are all a hell of a lot cheaper than what a new truck would cost you to do the same thing. If you feel there is a cheaper truck that will do all the same things and cost much less I would love to hear about it.

Last edited:
Haha!!! If you think a CUCV with it's s***ty 6.2L non turbo noisy diesel, s***ty interior is the same as an LX or LC, getting to, trail riding and returning from the trail, you haven't spent time in both. I spent a lot of time in CUCV's in the military and the two are not even the same sport.

Sorry, I am not going to play advocate any longer.

But you either need to find some Land Cruiser guys and go actually spend some time with them or seriously stick to jeeps and military surplus. Maybe the reason you don't understand the cost is because you don't understand the vehicle?

In the last two months I have purchased a 92 for $1000 and a 94 for $1200. Neither were 3x locked, both had 200+k miles, both were rust free. One was a Arkansas vehicle, other was a Texas. Both recent transplants here to Iowa. Neither was listed for sale. Private owners that I asked if they wanted to sell. Both need knuckles rebuilt eventually, tune ups, shocks, probably springs, brakes, etc. Both owners sold because they knew they had $5000 in work needed if they took it to a mechanic. I figure $2000 if I do it myself.

The 92 is for me since I'm giving my 92 that I bought new in 1992 to my 13 year old son. The 94 May be for my daughter. Or I might end up selling it because I want another 3FE (91-92).

The best advice I have read on here is to meet up with some Land Cruiser guys and go ride with them. Ask nicely, be genuine, bring beer for afterwards.

My 92 has been all over North and Central America. Driven to Baja and wheeled like hell and driven back. There aren't many vehicles you can do that with. I've never owned a Jeep. Why? Because I bought my 80 when I was 16. Never needed a Jeep or wanted one. I've wheeled with plenty of buddies that have owned Jeeps. They all own Land Cruisers now.

Prices for Land Cruisers are all over the board. If someone knows what they have and it is in good condition, 3x locked, and low miles you will pay for it. Personally, I think 3x locked is unnecessary for 95% of the people that say it's a necessity. I've never had it and never needed it. If the day comes when I get stuck I'll spend the $700 and lock my rear end. But I've been saying that for 15 years... I care more about rust free than anything else. 200k or 150k means almost nothing to me. Both are due for maintenance. Rust is a pain in the ass to deal with.

To hear some of the bias on this website is unbelievable. I ask for help with finding a land cruiser and say I have a jeep and the smack talk and looking down noses starts. Not everyone but what I'm getting off this website is that Toyota owners are mostly snobs and you aren't welcome unless you have one. You can say I wrong, some of you guys have been the whole time. Just read the posts. I like 4wds of all makes. It doesn't matter and i would never talk down or say someone's ride is junk like I received here. I like jeeps, I like cucv's I like HMMWVs , I like unimogs and pinzgauers, and I like land cruisers. Fords dodges and Chevy's. Anyone who can get out and lock in what ever they decide to drive has my respect.

You understand that this is primarily a Land Cruiser site, right?

I have a Jeep that I put lots of time and money into.

It's been sitting in storage for the past five years. I put it there the day after I brought my Land Cruiser home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom