Hella horn relay wiring help/diagram ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did my checking however cannot find a thread or diagram that shows how to wire in an aftermarket horn, in this dual Hellas. I wired them to the stick wiring and from the sound (or lack of) I am guessing a relay needs to be in place. Can someone help with a diagram or letting me know how to wire up the relay in this case?

Thank you in advance.
Sean

The stock horn wiring provides +12V when activated. The body of the horn gets ground, if the horn needs dedicated ground, then run a wire to the body (ring terminal under a bolt etc).

The stock horn circuit ALREADY has a relay... Horn button on steering provides ground to the coil of the relay, the relay then activates and provides +12V to the horns on the front of the vehicle. Fused via Hazard/Horn fuse.

Unless your new horns are from a train, the stock wiring/relay should be 'good enough'.

cheers,
george.

That is what I want to do. Just looking for some help in figuring out how to wire in the relay.

The stock horn wiring provides +12V when activated. The body of the horn gets ground, if the horn needs dedicated ground, then run a wire to the body (ring terminal under a bolt etc).

The stock horn circuit ALREADY has a relay... Horn button on steering provides ground to the coil of the relay, the relay then activates and provides +12V to the horns on the front of the vehicle. Fused via Hazard/Horn fuse.

Unless your new horns are from a train, the stock wiring/relay should be 'good enough'.

cheers,
george.

Ok. Thank you Sir!

I decide to create a new " circuit " ( power, ground, relay ) just to make sure my PIAA horns get good " juice "

Ok, you decided to add yet another relay and bunch of wiring and hopefully a fuse too, and thus added yet another area to fail AND document :)

The stock wiring/relay is just fine for 'normal' people...

I run after market hella horns (hi/lo pair) and never had issues with the stock infrastructure feeding them.

cheers,
george.

Ok, you decided to add yet another relay and bunch of wiring and hopefully a fuse too, and thus added yet another area to fail AND document :)

The stock wiring/relay is just fine for 'normal' people...

I run after market hella horns (hi/lo pair) and never had issues with the stock infrastructure feeding them.

cheers,
george.

Didn't run anything yet. I had he horns connected to stock wiring and they were not load at all. Sounded like a clown car. So I thought a relay and pull ting directly from the battery would help. So that may be an incorrect assumption. So I will now look at cleaning up my grounds and see if that helps. Thanks George.

Ok, you decided to add yet another relay and bunch of wiring and hopefully a fuse too, and thus added yet another area to fail AND document :).

actually I have 3 circuits .. 1 for set of PIAA, 1 for set of Hella, and 1 for set of Cadi 4 note horn set .. yes all working together .. overkill, sure .. all are wired to my blue sea fuse box and this and that ..

And I'm totally agree George .. it's better to keep it simple ( KISS principle ? )

I run my supertones on the stock wiring with added ground wires to the mounting bolts.

Not the answer to your question but late model Lexus horn's are a 5 min install and use the factory connectors. Some one here was selling the Toyota Premium horns which produces the same sound and connects the same way.

image-2896581533-jpg.641241

1. Here's what they sound like... I used the Lexus Horn's above and I'm extremely happy the Toyota Premium in the second recorded sound are a little deeper

Last edited:
how much those cost .?

The horns above Retail for $99.77 per horn .. My price which is 10% over cost was $50.54 I work for a Lexus Dealership and that's employee rate
I think CDan also does 10% over for MUD members

The stock horns in that video sound better/louder than the Land Cruiser ones. What model Lexus is that as that may be a cheaper & easier horn to find.

I grabbed hella's at the pick and pull from a VW. wired like George said and done. Would have been $10, but it was half price day.

SOUND AWESOME

The stock horns in that video sound better/louder than the Land Cruiser ones. What model Lexus is that as that may be a cheaper & easier horn to find.

I drove a Lexus CT200 for a few years and like the horn so that's what I ordered .. but I'm sure they are shared with other Lexus vehicles. As I posted above they bolt to the stock location and plug in using the stock connectors .. Doesn't get any easier than that

I wired up my new Hella Supertones today using the original harness and with a ground wire to the mounting bolt. They suck! Not much of an improvement. Anyone else think the same?

Though I must say, they look good!

I just wired in my hellas this weekend. I checked the voltage at the plugs and found they were getting 12.5v, so it wasnt going to get much better wiring directly to the battery.

Theyre WAY better than my apathetic factory horns that gave an occasional lazy "toot" when they felt like it.

I wired up my new Hella Supertones today using the original harness and with a ground wire to the mounting bolt. They suck! Not much of an improvement. Anyone else think the same?

Though I must say, they look good!

The info for great horns are right here in this thread... go with the Lexus or Toyota Premium Horns

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom