Heard OME shocks are junk and had Toughdogs recommended. Thoughts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Haha ok well afaik ome's haven't changed (still owned by arb to my knowledge) and they certainly aren't junk. They also happen to be Australian.... perhaps they just got a bad batch, it happens.

Tough dog is a relatively new face in the game, their stuff looks good to. Probably couldn't go wrong with either.

I upgraded factory suspension on my 97 to OME 2.5" medium -2 years ago. Shocks, Springs and Steering stabilizer. I am on a all types of dirt roads at least 2 - 3 x per month. Ranging from smooth, to horrific washboard, to pothole ridden, water laden, tree infested, debris filled roads with rocks etc. Occasionally, I actually have to go slow and really negotiate obstacles - NO complaints on OME suspension. I have driven in torrential rains, blizzards, and worse (granted tires contribute to stability) still no complaints

I think OME shocks are good for the price too.

Toughdogs are unproven. Might be great, might be Chinese junk. Caveat Emptor.

I tend to beat the snot outa my rig. In 6 years I have managed to have 1 OME fail. I slammed it into s big rock! Driver error. I replaced it with OME. I do about 7000 miles a year of volunteer work for the FS. I get to see everything from low desert at 1500' to some pretty nice mountains at 7600'. All kinds of terrain. I have several friends running Fox Shocks that seem to do well, but I have not driven either rig, so no hands on comparison.

I have OMEs now and I haven't ever been thrilled with them. To me they seemed like a good alternative to factory shocks, but that's it. I get shock fade on my front right all the time when I'm doing washboard or moguls. Like clockwork I can feel it. I do suspect the exhaust heat may have something to do with it.

After driving in 80s with both Fox and Kings, I'm jealous.

I'm sure the hand built high dollar shocks are better, but they are 5X the price. Fox, Radflow, Kings etc. It's only money.

I get 5 years or so of acceptable performance from OMEs in my 80. Decent shocks. Not perfect, but a good value compared to the alternatives.

Well, comparing OME to Fox or King might be somewhat apples and oranges. Performance there is obviously on a whole other level.

No complaints with OME, I have had it installed in multiple vehicles without a single one failing in years. Our rigs see "expedition" use. A cliche perhaps, but what I mean is that we dont rock crawl or do anything like a Rubicon trail would look like. A lot of washboard, dirt roads and offroad tracks carrying heavy loads.

How can you people worry about shocks at a time like this?

New information has come to light that the front axles on these trucks would probably be stronger if they were made of actual glass and you guys are debating shocks. Real mature, guys.

I have OMEs on my truck, I would upgrade to Fox or even Kings if money were no object (no object, I would go Kings to support a vendor here), but the OME are proven by several others and my money is going to a stockpile of front axle housings to (hopefully) get me through the next few years of owning this POS.

OME L are the best $110 price point shock one can buy. If you want a better shock then spend more money.

OP here; I have to say I have been running an OME setup on my jeep and it was 1000x better than the Rubicon shocks/springs. Being a jeep that is probably not saying much. Covering the same road in my LC is a difference between getting thrown around in the jeep, to a plush...is this actually bumpy with the stock and leaking LC shocks. In fact I just got back from a 6000mi trip into eastern canada with MANY bad roads and a couple times I almost went sideways due to the suspension.

I don't really know much more than knowing I NEED rear shocks, and don't want to spend more than say $150 each on them. I am all ears for suggestions a link to the exact shock would be majorly appreciated. We are leaving for Mexico from Maine in about 8 weeks and would need something designed for washboard...but not so much major offroad.

OP here; I have to say I have been running an OME setup on my jeep and it was 1000x better than the Rubicon shocks/springs. Being a jeep that is probably not saying much. Covering the same road in my LC is a difference between getting thrown around in the jeep, to a plush...is this actually bumpy with the stock and leaking LC shocks. In fact I just got back from a 6000mi trip into eastern canada with MANY bad roads and a couple times I almost went sideways due to the suspension.

I don't really know much more than knowing I NEED rear shocks, and don't want to spend more than say $150 each on them. I am all ears for suggestions a link to the exact shock would be majorly appreciated. We are leaving for Mexico from Maine in about 8 weeks and would need something designed for washboard...but not so much major offroad.
For $150 per now you are getting into Fox 2.0 & Icon 2.0 territory... I'm sure there is others but those two are good quality shocks. Contact Downsouth for correct Fox fitment.

Ideally any twin tube shock isnt going to be ideal for a heavier vehicle.

Koni is about as close to a high pressure monotube as you will get but still a distant 2nd.

As much as OME isnt near the 2nd place getter either, the Tough Dogs arent within sight of the OME, being way further down the list.

The thing we see here with OME, is like some others they are engineered to stop working around 70 deg C, forcing you to slow down or stop. This protects the shock, and make it seems like they last a long time ;)

Well show us the 2.0 Kings, specs & price point without making it a big Comercial.

Just to let all know NLXTACY is a new distributor for King Shocks.

Show us your goods Joey...

Thank you for your time.

Well show us the 2.0 Kings, specs & price point without making it a big Comercial.

Just to let all know NLXTACY is a new distributor for King Shocks.

Show us your goods Joey...

Thank you for your time.

As soon as they are ready to test you guys will be the first to know :p

It's all about budget .. I bang pretty hard on my OME shocks for more than 10 years before they fail .. but as you might see a cheap , rancho,monroe, gabriel shock there is OME, TJM, Ironman and others .. but said this or the other are yunk .. it's a tuff call..

The market it's wide .. you have 2K shock and 100 buck shock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom