Headlight Washers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im sure this has been beat to death but I'm throwing it out there. My 87' came with Washers but somewhere along the lines they've disappeared.

It's my understanding that this assembly is NLA...but I'm stuck with two unsightly holes under the headlights

1. Has anyone in a similar situation retrofitted other washers that are available??? Please let me know if there are any MUD solutions

2. If it's not worth the effort, is there a clean way to "plug" those holes? May it be a reflector or something along those lines

Thanks in advance!

I got rid of my headlight washer reservoir 25 years ago when I installed a 2nd battery. Finally got around to removing those ugly looking spouts on the valence when I had it off to get painted.
I think it looks better without them. I installed two small stainless steel bolts in the two small holes (for looks) and left the larger hole open.

They kinda look like tears..

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
I got rid of my headlight washer reservoir 25 years ago when I installed a 2nd battery. Finally got around to removing those ugly looking spouts on the valence when I had it off to get painted.
I think it looks better without them. I installed two small stainless steel bolts in the two small holes (for looks) and left the larger hole open.

They kinda look like tears..

View attachment 1208323

View attachment 1208330

This is a clever solution, do you know what size bolts you used by any chance?

My biggest worry is that the holes will become a easy place for rust to form. I'm in the Northeast, and my rig lives in the salt...trying to keep corrosion at a minimum (the frame is painted and the body has Por 15 in all the places that matter)

I think M6. Don't remember. Any hardware store will have something that fits. Use stainless steel

Did you keep them after you took them off? I would love to buy a set, they are so helpful when driving up here in the winter.

The inside steel backing plate on mine had started rusting and swelling. No longer fit correctly. Tossed them.

You could also buy some plastic snap in hole plugs from the hardware store. The are pretty inconspicuous. You could even paint them first.

I really like the look of the headlight washers. They really fit the 1980's era, one of the small details that make a 60 a 60.
I like most removed the old broken washer bottle for it no longer functioned as a holder of liquids.
I have seen some cool containers being made by people on here or things retrofitted to work. I'd like to see an alternative redially available. I know you can just go to the junk yard and make something work. I just like everyone's creative customs. Hmm... Might have to get on that.
As trivial as they are, it'd be cool if they worked again.

I really like the look of the headlight washers. They really fit the 1980's era, one of the small details that make a 60 a 60.
I like most removed the old broken washer bottle for it no longer functioned as a holder of liquids.
I have seen some cool containers being made by people on here or things retrofitted to work. I'd like to see an alternative redially available. I know you can just go to the junk yard and make something work. I just like everyone's creative customs. Hmm... Might have to get on that.

For the sole purpose of wiping off salt thats caked on front lights that would be nice, there's gotta be someone here who's found a solution.

Granted spraying a light with washer fluid might be a good way to crack them up here when it's 10 degrees....damned if i do, damned if I don't

trashed mine...as noted...find some plastic clips to plug the holes, body shop, parts supply...etc will have the plastic clips

As Jim pointed out, not all 60s came with washers, so you could swap in a valance from one that did not.

As Jim pointed out, not all 60s came with washers, so you could swap in a valance from one that did not.

Or fill the holes with extra marker lights, plastic plug, silicone goop, or deer whistles. Route hoses from holes to front calipers for brake cooling. Imagination and red-neckery is the key :hillbilly:. Or good fabbing skills.

Im sure this has been beat to death but I'm throwing it out there. My 87' came with Washers but somewhere along the lines they've disappeared.

2. If it's not worth the effort, is there a clean way to "plug" those holes? May it be a reflector or something along those lines

Or fill the holes with extra marker lights, plastic plug, silicone goop, or deer whistles. Route hoses from holes to front calipers for brake cooling. Imagination and red-neckery is the key :hillbilly:. Or good fabbing skills.

That was my solution.

I grabbed a pair of smoked LED marker lights off Amazon...

Opened up the center hole (was for the rubber hose) for the wires to pass through, drilled 2 new holes for mounting screws. Then wired them inline with my front (orange) sidemarkers.

Here's a pic from my build thread...you can see the lights here:

31--narrowed-bumper.jpg

I like it because it looks similar to 'stock', but has a function. And here in sunny Florida, I didn't see the need for headlight washers!

- Brian

I love mine. Had to relocate the tank a few inches to the rear to make room for the second battery. A guy could use any tank but the OEM pump for these is a much higher flow rate pump than the regular windhield washers. Mine basiclly floods the headlights . you need two small check valves for the plumbing which is also a larger tube than the windshield washers to handle the high flow

I'd put some rectangular LED fog lights there.
Or, try Specter, Cruiser Yard, TLC Parts, Cruiser Parts or your local junkyard for the original nozzles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom