Have you ever used stop leak in a rad! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, it will work to fix a radiator and even some HG issues but it is strictly temporary and should never be considered a fix. You should buy a new radiator, these aftermarket radiators are the tits.
Scroll down here to find it Radiators

Originally posted by Beowulf
If it is just a leaking radiator and if you can afford the down time and the expense, then buy a new radiator and know that the repair was done right and you will not worry about it on every long trip and every time your wife drives the truck.

Once again, an excellent advice from the wulf. A new radiator brings a peace of mind specially when the :princess: is the driver on a long road trip.

I've used Barr's pellet stop leak product only in an Emergency. It plugged up the Head Gasket leak so that I could drive home. Yes, it's nasty stuff and was in every coolant passages and required serious block flushing. So think long and hard on this one!

In my Supra the heater pipe is leaking at a joint.
The BG stop leak stopped the leak but has started leaking again.
Could be that I have drained the rad and filled with water so its diluted...

When looking for the Bars, no place I shopped sells it, I found a stretch tape for automotive leaks. Will see how it works.

Best solution is a new radiator, if you can afford it, because it ends worries.

Second best is to have it repaired. That isn't as hard as they make it sound. However it might be difficult for you to find a radiator repair shop in your part of the world and a new radiator would probably be about the same cost.

Emergency repair, one that is good enough to get me home, is a raw egg or two, depending on the size of the radiator. This works only on very small holes. The egg gets cooked by the radiator and broken up to small bits as it circulates, eventually finding it's way to the holes and stuffing them. The engine compartment gets a boiled egg smell for a while but that doesn't last and neither does the egg solution. It's very temporary but it worked for me.

Kalawang

carried a bottle of Alumseal in my tool bag for years waiting for the inevitable to happen. approx 650 miles down into baja california on a surf/camping expidition, on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere, my 1972 FJ55 finally blew a hole in the radiator. smiling, to the bewilderment of others in the caravan, i pulled out my Alumaseal and confidently, following instructions, dumped it in. continuing down the dirt road, i was soon informed , by my nose, that it had failed to seal properly. shattered, i once again stoppped. while trying to figure out where the closest village or town was (we were going to pull the radiator and get someone to try and fix it), i happened to look in my glove box and discovered a package of 2 part 5 minute epoxy (the white and black in seperate syringes that mix into a nice grey) that i had tossed in there a year earlier, purchased for unknown reasons. well, 15 minutes later we were on our way (luckily we had numerous gallons of water with us as that pig held 17 quarts if i remember correctly). I sold that car, to my dismay, 3 years later with that same patch of 5 minute epoxy still on there. told and showed the new owner the patch, etc. and also showed him teh new package waiting in the glove box. i also repaired a clutch cable that had completely severed on the freeway on an old volkswagen bus that i had, a few years earlier. ten minutes, back on the road. damn that stuff is good. Alumaseal= bad, 5 minute epoxy=good, new radaitor=best. good luck.

Went to GM parts and got the "Cooling System Seal Tabs" 1#3634621 Gr. 8.800.

Do I install all 6 tabs? There are 6 tabs in the blister pack.

I would start with 2 tabs and add another if the leak doesn't stop.
-B-

The dealer and instructions call to add all of them but thats for a normally leaking GM vehicle;)

Will the tabs conflict with Wetter Water?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom