Have most of the parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

I'm ready to start. Just need the center brakes hose front and rear and the two front hoses (A little longer than stock). I'm replacing all the rubber hoses while I'm there. Have the rear two. Where should I buy them here? I'm not sure I have all the shims needed and need to rent the special tool.
I do need help to advise a direct. I've read a bunch but have never done or seen it done.
I will start disassembly tomorrow.

Thanks Justin. Pm me your contact info.

Next step, take off the shoes, more tomorrow
image.jpeg

Mort,
Try Crownperfomance Brakes in CA. They make braided lines for a great price and they will make any length you want:geek:. They also put pretty colors over the braids if you want. Try to remember the order of removal and that should help you on the install. Call me if you get stuck 775 291-2273. I will be in town this wknd. I might run up to Bronco Sat.-maybe get there before the rain hits
Mark

Last edited:
looking up torque settings b4hand will save time when everything starts going back together. What kind of brakes are going on the rear? From what I read there is no Toyota solution for the rear...(sounds stupid tho). I feel better knowing George gave you every thing you need, cuz then you will have everything you need. Also, do you have a fish scale for setting the pre load on the knuckles, it's not the most important thing in the world, most shops do it by "feel" but i like having a number to hit.

The diagram can be daunting but you can't really mess up, it's easy to see where a gasket is needed and only the right one will fit so you wont mix up the gaskets.

Wheels will fit, new steel. Solution for rear is a Chevy truck rotor and Monte Carlo caliper with a custom bracket. Got all the parts from Poser. Have fish scale. Not sure about shims since I did not take it apart and will have to set up fresh. Have some used and some new. Will need special tool to set center. Who has it and can I pick it up.
Ordered hoses from Kurt. I'm replacing all the rubber hoses.

Famous last words "you can't really mess up" There is a man called Murphy who would disagree and wrote a law.

I'm sure all of you have found some interesting repairs from the PO.

The special tool is the knuckle centering tool. The club owns one and rents it out. And I will need it.

As I am thinking about this you may want to put in the better seals in the axle. They can take more abuse. You get them from Marlin Crawler:worms:. Also Chevy S-10 rear calipers are a replacement for the Monte Carlos in case you need to replace down the road as I did. They are a bit more modern and more plentiful. Cadillac (eldorado) calipers have an e-Brake option?? don't know much about that mod. but it would be nice to have an e-brake that worked. Murphy drove a jeep fo sure:hillbilly::censor:.

I have all the seals from Greoge, he put together a total package for me, bearings , seals, new rotors, rebuilt 60 loaded calipers, etc. I can put the better seals next time. I actually have a set of eldorado brakes, never used, that I was putting my Wiilys. But I'll go with the Monte Carlo that I have now, running emergency brake cables is a real pita.

I've got rear apart, axles pulled and mocking it up. Need to weld two tabs for the brake lines and put it together. Front drums pulled, need to dismantle the rest.

@Krusty Krab My understanding, from campfire talk, is that the Marlin seals suck. The OEM seals in my 80 have been replaced two times. First time at 95k and the second time was at 186k when I got it.

I have heard stories about the marlin ones going out after 30K :meh: There is always :beer: at the campfire tho...

Well before I got the M. seals I was replacing almost every two years and the OEM that I was using came out hammered. So far so good for two years on the driver side and three on the passenger.

I think the key to keeping any of the seals good is to get the axle centered in the hub. Even at that with the pounding they take with the wheeling we do they are bound to leak eventually:meh:.

Waiting for the parts comming today and then I can put it together again. I damaged the rear bearring trying to get the seal out, so I had to get a new one. The rubber brake lines were so dried out that they crumbled, and I have to replace them, a really good idea.
I need to get the centering tool to put the front together. I don't how the shims were originally or if I have them all. Getting new shims today.
So I should be up and running within a week.

Mart

I have BRAKES! Just finished and took ride around the cul de sac, and it stops. Thanks to all the help. Can't believe I trusted my life to drums.
Going to do some close to home testing.

Mark, thanks for the loan of the hubs, it let me figure out mine. I put on of yours together but you are missing some parts for the other one.

To clarify for all. My name is Mart not Mort. I'm not upset, just want to clarify. Been battling all my life to get it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom