Has anybody turboed a 3B? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi. I've got an `82 BJ-42 with a 3B diesel. I just bought a Garrett t-3 water cooled turbo to put on it. I've got a pretty good idea of how I'm going to do it, but if anyone has any pictures, warnings, ideas or links to a good write up of how to do it, they'd be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Eric.

I'm in Vancouver, B.C. as well and I have had the AXT on my BJ60 for about 4 months and 15,000 - 20,000kM now. If you would like to drop by and have a look at my install next week drop me a private message and I'll contact you. I've had people comment on how neat the install was and how I am able to adjust my valves WITHOUT removing the turbo!

I dropped you an e mail about dropping by. Did you have to upgrade your exhaust system to a larger pipe diameter or does the stocker still work. I just had the whole system replaced about 3 months ago, it would be a shame to have to junk it!
Thanks again,
Eric

You don't have to upgrade the stock exhaust but you will need to adapt to it if you do keep it. Personally I upgraded to 2 1/2" exhaust and dropped the muffler even though I had just replaced some of the OEM stock system as well. It helps everything breath easier.

I think a garrett T3 will be too big for a 3B. It's a turbo for 160-220ish HP engines, and will need a lot of time and revs to spool up on a small(er) engine like the 3B. I fear it wouldn't improve low end grunt by much, and would only benefit on the upper part of the rev. range. I would try something smaller, like a T25 or T2. my rule of thumb for turbo sizing is to approximately match the power output or donor and target engine, as well as comparing the powerband / boostband in relation to the engine capacity.
(rpm x capacity)
food for thought ;)

bye,

I have just acquired a supra turbo and intend to install it on my 87 BJ70.The guy I got it from put an identical unit on his 84 BJ60 and has been running it for 14 months with noo problem[2.5in exhaust[don't know the max boost] and all plumbing was straight forward.]The biggest hurdle will be modiding the exhaust manifold.{He made a pipe and welded it to the manifold} NO MORE PUSHING THE DONKEY UPHILL !!!!

I've heard some talk about guys flipping the exhaust manifold upside down, so that the outlet is at the top and the front. Then you make an adapter flange type thing. I think it might be a little too close to the alternator for me though (but it sure sounds easier than making my own manifold).

[quote author=Diesel Cruiser link=board=1;threadid=4326;start=msg32317#msg32317 date=1060914557]
Yeah I'm looking forward to it. Could you send some pics of how it's hooked up? If you can't it's no biggie. :)
Eric
[/quote]

I dont have a digital camera but I can get hold of one next weekend if you can wait. I can tell you that the exaust manifold is upside down............Dazz

[quote author=denis link=board=1;threadid=4326;start=msg32380#msg32380 date=1060955527]
I think a garrett T3 will be too big for a 3B. It's a turbo for 160-220ish HP engines, and will need a lot of time and revs to spool up on a small(er) engine like the 3B.
[/quote]
You know, I don't know where I got the idea that this turbo I picked up is a T-3. ??? I'm not exactly sure what model it is. It's a small Garrett out of a late `80s Chrysler car with an A/R on the compressor or .42 and on the turbine of .48.
Sorry about the confusion.
Eric

??? Eric, dropped you an e-mail but I have not heard from you. Are you interested in coming out to have a look?

Hey buddy. Sorry about not getting back to you right away. I've been running around like a crazy man lately! :p I'd love to come out and see your set up. I won't be able to come out until after the long weekend though. I'll be in touch with you next week.
Sorry again.
Talk to you soon.
Eric

No problem, I just didn't know if my e-mail got lost in cyberspace!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom