Harrop e-locker group buy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have the chance to put together a group buy for the Harrop e-locker:

ELocker | HARROP | Engineering, Superchargers, Brakes, Driveline, Engine, 4WD, Cooling

The minimum order they require is 10 units and they would like an answer back in 30 days. The price WITHOUT shipping will be $1100 Australian dollars (by today's conversion rate that is $1000.23 USD). I estimate that shipping for the bulk order and subsequent distributive shipping in the US from my location (CO) will be roughly $100/each. I would ask that if you are interested you put up $500 as a deposit for each unit with the balance due On Sept 5, 2016. I will open up a separate bank account and segregate all of the funds into that account. I will keep a running list of who is participating, the number of units they are purchasing, and the amount they have paid. I will make this completely transparent for everyone involved.

I will close this offer on Sept 5, 2016

Gentlemen (and Ladies) I apologize but I was contacted by Harrop today and they cant/wont honor this group buy because of obligations to the US distributor. I did not get many details other their distributor asked them not to do this.

If you are the US distributor, please let us know if you would be willing to do a group buy.

Mods please delete this if you feel it is necessary

So I'm confused. Who is the US distributor? I'm in TX. Any installers anywhere close?

So I'm confused. Who is the US distributor? I'm in TX. Any installers anywhere close?
Georg Esterer and I have been US importer/reseller for the last two years. We both run them in our trucks and love them. Your can ssee more about us and the product here New Kids on the Block ---- Can-Am Cruisers is now Cruiser Brothers, LLC and here https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/harrop-elocker-general-info-installation-thread.849313/and

I am not aware of any shops who have installed Harrops in Texas, but Georg know a bunch of guys down that way so I will check with him. Texas is a big place - whereabouts are you? Installing shops are sometimes reluctant to install parts (like lockers) that the shop didn't sell.

Let me get back to you.

Thanks,
Ward

I don't have an 80 yet, but it's the big hunt of my life. Most I find don't have lockers and I've been looking for an alternative. I actually found the product before I came back over here and started looking through threads. Seems like they fit right in the non locked difs, true? I've been all over the Harrop site. They make some very nice products even if they do drive on the wrong side of the road.

I don't have an 80 yet, but it's the big hunt of my life. Most I find don't have lockers and I've been looking for an alternative. I actually found the product before I came back over here and started looking through threads. Seems like they fit right in the non locked difs, true? I've been all over the Harrop site. They make some very nice products even if they do drive on the wrong side of the road.
Thanks for the interest. The product's message in the American market has been spotty over the years. We are working hard to help build the brand while we grow our business. There has been no consistent access to Harrops on this side of the Pacific - at least until we began stocking and offering them last year. In Australia, Harrop sells at retail through several distributors like Terrain Tamer. Over here, a few were sold through the Ironman distribution system but a) the distributor in America shut down, and b) Ironman and Harrop ended their relationship. Brian at ACC in Atlanta installed a few and likes them.They are an installing shop for us.

To fill the gap, guys have been buying direct from Australia and a few Harrops have been installed over here. Unfortunately, their rigs don't always look like our rigs and in some cases, the purchaser did not realize the locker they purchased would not fit their application, so there have been some new in box resales on this side as a result.

Our backstory - I went looking for an air locker alternative before Georg and I started the business and Harrop was the only unit I wanted after I got through the research. We started Cruiser Brothers to bring in repair kits as a Terrain Tamer reseller and Terrain Tamer is the largest distributor for Harrop.

Yes - the Harrops are a direct drop-in for non-OEM locker axles. The only exception to that is the clamshell front lockers for Tacomas and other non-Land Cruisers. The 7.5" diff housing is pretty small and there is some grinding required to clear the electromagnet - not a big deal.

Harrop makes some very nice gear and the Eaton relationship is an interesting one. Harrop is master licensed distributor for Eaton products supporting Eaton Corporation with the manufacture of superchargers and traction control products for low volume applications. Harrop has licensed access to Eaton technologies and sources components for manufacture of Harrop lockers in Australia. It is amazing what a mid-sized engineering firm can do. The Harrop Eaton ELockerTM is not an Eaton. There has been trash talk on the various forums (all from ARB resellers) about the weakness of early Eaton elockers - mostly in smaller Jeep axles.

The bottom line - nice gear, very quick and durable, decent value and comparable in price to ARB + compressor, but you may have a challenge getting it installed at a shop that might want to sell you something else. We are happy to work with reselling shops and establish new reseller relationships when opportunities arise.

More to follow.

:cheers:

It looks like a nice product. I don't really want to add a compressor if this works. I was pondering buying from Australia and then finding a shop to install. Good to know somebody is bringing them over.

So I quizzed Christo Slee about the e-lockers and he commented that they disengage when you put the vehicle in reverse. Thoughts on that?

So I quizzed Christo Slee about the e-lockers and he commented that they disengage when you put the vehicle in reverse. Thoughts on that?
Yep, they disengage and then re-engage both directions.

The usual reason to reverse while locked is when you are already stuck (mud?) and you need to rock your way out.

Gentle is always a good idea. We have not seen this as a problem.

So when you go back to drive they're locked?

One more thing, Slee says the lockers carrier and components are the same size, irrespective of the differential size. He says the flange is made larger to accommodate larger ring gears. The implication is this makes the unit weaker than air lockers. Im not sure this concerns me, but I'm asking what you think. I want these to be the bomb. I like them.

One more thing, Slee says the lockers carrier and components are the same size, irrespective of the differential size. He says the flange is made larger to accommodate larger ring gears. The implication is this makes the unit weaker than air lockers. Im not sure this concerns me, but I'm asking what you think. I want these to be the bomb. I like them.
Perhaps, but if so after seven years, the Aussies would be seeing failures.

Owners seem happy and we have not heard of Harrops being replaced with air lockers.

Good. I want these to be the answer.

Difference between an Eaton and the Harrop?

I think I see now, Eaton doesn't make one for the FJ80 only Harrop does.

Difference between an Eaton and the Harrop?
They are the same, really - modified for Toyotas and other Australian market trucks. Based upon proven Eaton technology, Harrop manufactures electrically actuated, four-pinion locking differentials that deliver traction on demand for owners of 2wd and 4wd Toyotas.

The correct name of the "Harrop" is Harrop Eaton ELockerTM and "elocker" is a trademarked term and image owned by Eaton Corporation.

Harrop is a licensed master distributor committed to supporting Eaton Corporation with the manufacture of Positive Displacement Superchargers and Traction Control Products for low volume applications. Harrop and Eaton share a synergy for research and development that has provided Harrop the ability to work with Eaton on the design, development and distribution of world class products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom