Harbor Freight Jack Seal Leak, Stop Leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need an O-ring for my Central Hydraulics Harbor Freight Jack Model 42820 2.5 ton Lone Frame Floor Jack. Its the Release Valve Seal. Harbor Freight says its discontinued.
The O-ring is not an O-ring but more like a short piece of fuel line cut about 1/4" long.

Tried Napa, Carquest, Harbor Freight Parts and compressor repair shop with no luck.

My next step is a stop leak. Is there a stop leak for hydraulic oil?

Maybe try that real good power steering stop leak.
I forget the brand name but it was like $11 for a little bottle. I dumped some in my chevy pickup last year when the front seal started to leak. It stopped it dead for a year until I recently changed the pump.

Chances are high that you're dealing with a chinese made bottle jack. This site I'm providing *used* to sell repair parts for US and some chinese norco jacks. It may be worth a call to them. Worst case scenario, you'll have to buy a new bottle jack to fit into the floor jack, although the Blackhawk site looks very promising. Good luck.

Hydraulic Jacks Home Page

Thanks for the new to me site, D'Animal

Last edited:
After much driving around and online searching and countless auto parts stores, Auto Zone had a vacuum hose about the same size as the hose looking o-ring. It fit and so far (knock on fake wood dash) its not bubbling out.

Every where I went or called laughed at me when I said it was a Harbor Freight jack.:hillbilly:

After much driving around and online searching and countless auto parts stores, Auto Zone had a vacuum hose about the same size as the hose looking o-ring. It fit and so far (knock on fake wood dash) its not bubbling out.

Every where I went or called laughed at me when I said it was a Harbor Freight jack.:hillbilly:

That's the downside to the super cheap chinese world of harbor freight.

I probably wouldn't mess with cut hose for a seal on a jack. There should be a commercial oring and gasket place somewhere near you that can custom cut you a proper seal. Just take the old one in with you. I've done that with several machines here at work without issue.

The o-ring looks just like a piece of vacuum hose cut down. All it does is seal the jacks release screw. The part that lowers the jack that goes into the pump is a long narrow smooth bolt. The o-ring sits in a pocket and the bolt slides o-ring. There is nothing fancy about the o-ring/hose and its holding up fine.
I did run around town and every place said they don't have a part like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom