Hanging hammock from factory roof rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Since I will have 4 poles, I'm thinking if I should get 4 chair hammocks and 2 normal hammocks. That would be fun. Yeah I have nephews and nieces.

Well, I ordered 1 normal and 2 chair hammocks.

Parachute+Silk+Hammock.jpg
Algoma-Net-Company-Hanging-Caribbean-Rope-Chair-4913.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 1062429
Hammock with rain fly beats sleeping in the ground any day

I've you've never setup, slept in and took down a Hennessey Asymmetrical Hammock, then it would be difficult to understand the allure. Try one out and you'll get why this is such a great option. Hammock is my first choice EVERY time but I still have a little one that makes me sleep on the ground more than I want to. Trips above the tree line are where I want other options for hanging. I'm making up a pipe stand that's portable but very heavy until I can get to this bumper solution. Again, great idea!!

image.jpg

Roofrack to a tree! That's how I like to do it. I'm thinking about that bumper-to-bumper setup... Time to pull out the welder.

I still don't know why people sleep in hammocks for something longer then a nap.

A tent is usually my last resort, or used during the winter. Hammocks have some huge advantages over tents, the biggest in my mind being when I backpack I don't need to hunt for level ground on a mountain side, nor carry extra sleeping pads. Hammocks are lighter and more portable than a tent, and if you sleep in them properly (Brazillian style) you sleep diagonally and lay flat. And there is no better feeling than being under the stars, burried in your mummy sack, slowly swaying in the wind. Though, nothing wrong with being able to catch a quick nap on the long hauls.

Anyone with this setup ever used one of the ARB style awnings? Seems like that would be decent rain protection.

Anyone with this setup ever used one of the ARB style awnings? Seems like that would be decent rain protection.

I have an ARB awning on the ps side. Hope I can finish cutting the sleeves up tomorrow and post pics up with the awning open.

I see a lot of people like them. It's just not comfortable for me and I'm sure other people.
Mostly cause I'm a side and stomach sleeper.

The pole mounts on the bumper is a good idea.

Testing my treeless hammock setup in the trees.
10296671_1383610691965612_1440580422_n.jpg

https://instagram.com/p/1jhD78oIlP/

I took an 8ft pressure treated 2x6 and ripped it down the middle. I used an eye hook as a hinge for the two pieces. I hooked up my tree strap to a tree (this will be connected to the 3rd row handle) and the other tree strap to the intersection of the boards. I set my hammock ridgeline for the proper droop and staked a guy line down to hold the A-frame in place. It is very strong and worked much better than I expected.

I see a lot of people like them. It's just not comfortable for me and I'm sure other people.
Mostly cause I'm a side and stomach sleeper.

The pole mounts on the bumper is a good idea.
The Hennessey is designed for side sleepers. I'm a side sleeper too. The diagonal flattens out the hammock. Doesn't seem possible but it works!

these bumper poles are a great idea. Especially since you could easily set up a tarp going from the pole tops to the roof, and presto, you're good when it's raining or too hot too, you've got a built-in awning.

Yup, the folks who complain about hammocks being uncomfortable are usually those who haven't figured out yet that it's best to sleep diagonally in them, or have not used a good hammock yet for that matter.

Great idea on the tarps. Cheapest awning ever! My Hennessey needs the pole ends to be about 6' high so that would be great.

Interesting rain gutter mount pricing:

Marks off road
Con-ferr gutter mount, naked steel, 45* angle for a high profile. $25.95 each.
http://www.marksoffroad.net/1specials/1specials.html

Gamiviti
Con-ferr gutter mount, powder coated black, 45 and 30/60 for high and low profile. $29.16 each for seet of 6.
http://www.gamiviti.com/html/products_roofracktowers.html

Diamondrax
Con-ferr gutter mount, powder coated, high profile with standard or wide base (triple dog). $50 each for standard or $62 each for triple dog.
Contact via email at http://www.diamondrax.com/#!contact/c24vq

I think my choice is clear.
BTW, I've purchased seat gears from Gamiviti and had excellent customer service replacing one of the gears that snapped when pressed on.

I use one of these where the third row seat belt mounted, I've set up the hammock inside and out, works well

I also use the loop as an anchor for a steel cable to keep a tool box locked up and keep it from shifting around

IMG_3217.jpg

I use one of these where the third row seat belt mounted, I've set up the hammock inside and out, works well

I also use the loop as an anchor for a steel cable to keep a tool box locked up and keep it from shifting around

Hey Mac, where did you get those?

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429290089.927945.jpg

image.jpg

I prefer this one since its one piece.

Dissent, are you sure about the bolt threads? I would have thought the Cruiser would have a metric bolt. I am looking for a eye loop bolt or eye nut. The eye nuts are approximately $7 to $8 a piece at McMaster Carr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom