Ham experience (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Late yesterday I went up to Red Rover to seek out some special wood for fire starting. Getting late, loosing the sun, and with no cell service I needed to let my wife know what was up. Turn to the HAM radio and I make contact with the Mt Ord repeater, Great! Throw out my call sign accessing auto path, dial the number, the phone rings, and we have connection. Plain and simple. I have come to really appreciate the noise free communication the HAM provide. With additions like Autopatch I glad to up to date with trail communication and the bonus and security it can provide.

Call to land/ cell line? Was planning on getting a HAM, and if this is what you did, my purchase is now on the fast track!

Thanks @LandCruiserPhil - my wife and I are heading up to Sequoia while the kids are at summer camps. Were just now trying to figure out how we were going to check in from remote locations. Love these little Baofengs and going to research how to call phones and repeaters where we're heading. Persuaded my wife into getting her Technician Class license and only now did she say "Now that is cool!" :clap:

Phil, I have read that an aftermarket antenna for the hand held is best. If you have done this, could you point me to one on Amazon?? There are a few options on there and I'm ignorant to what to order..

I need to become repeater friendly ... have yet to try to hit one. What directory are you using Phil?

A few guys PM me about autopatch and repeaters so Im posting the hand out Paul wrote up for the CSC HAM meeting a few months back.

Welcome to Amateur Radio, A Technician Class introduction to Radio

Simplex - talk and listen on same frequency (like a CB)

Duplex- talk on one frequency and listen on another, like simplex we can only receive when the

mike is not being keyed. Most all repeaters function in duplex mode..

Full Duplex-talk and listen simultaneously, like a telephone, can be done with some dual band radios

however is not common practice.

Repeaters- “Machines” used to extend the communication distances if radio signals. A repeater

listens on an Offset frequency while simultaneously transmits on the Output freq.

often located on a mountain top or tall building, as elevation is key for optimizing

range because our VHF and UHF freq’s are primarily line of sight propagation.

Offset- The difference between the transmit frequency and the receive freq. for repeater use.

Typical 2 meter offset is + or – 600khz from the repeater out freq offset freq.

typical 70cm (440) is 5mhz.

Tone- Tone, CTCSS or tone encoding or tone squelch are basically ways to minimize interference

from distant repeaters which are on or near the same freq. it utilizes a sub-audible tone

transmited along with the speech, the tone –specific to each repeater turns on the

repeater. Tones are published along with the freq. in repeater directories.

Operation-

Simplex is encouraged when the extra distance capability of a repeater is not needed. In simplex we simply call the station and talk away, remembering to ID every 10 minutes. Simplex is more casual, once contact is made, we usually just use our names. *once in a conversation aka QSO, don’t give your callsign followed by “for ID”, your callsign IS your ID and and saying “for ID” is redundant, this holds relevant in all Amateur discipline’s.. Repeater use, HF etc.. remember to end your QSO with your callsign and saying Clear or bye bye or something so others on the freq. know your done.

Repeate use, always listen first, making sure the repeater is not already in use. If it is idle, give the callsign of the person your wanting to contact followed by your own. The other station should answer with your callsign followed by theirs then the qso can continue in a more casual fashion. We use first name , just as you were in a conversation anywhere else. Don’t butt in a ongoing QSO as this would be a rude practice in person, rather if you have something to add or ask, simply wait for a pause, give your callsign followed by the word “comment”, and the folks will usually acknowledge you and welcome you in the QSO. Remember, anyone on frequency can hear you so keep that in mind. If you don’t have anyone in particular to call and want to strike up a QSO, simply state your callsign followed by saying “monitoring or listening” someone may come back to you. Again, ID every 10 minutes with your callsign, and at the end of your “final” and say clear.

AutoPatch- Autopatch is a means of making a phone call from your radio, if you’re on a repeater with an autopatch or linked to one, simply state your intentions: this is KC7XYZ accessing the autopatch, while still holding down the ptt, start with the *key on the mic, followed by the 10 digit number then release the ptt, the repeater will dial then connect, to the other person it’s sounds like a regular phone, for you, it’s still a 2 way radio-remember to unkey the mike to hear your party, at the end of the call, key the mike, hit the # key , state your callsign followed by “clear”.

Programing your Radio:

Most radios have a Call Channel memory, this is useful for a commonly a used freq. then just start filling your memory’s with freq’s you anticipate using. Some helpful tips here would be to go to some repeater directory’s and lookup repeater locations and types, meaning some repeaters are stand alone, while others are linked to other repeaters making a network of repeaters for very wide coverage.

By knowing where these repeaters are you can program you radio with repeaters that make sense to you. I would recommend the purchase of the ARRL Repeater Directory to keep in the vehicle you have the radio in, as if in the event a “situation” arises, you have to know where the repeaters are for you radio to be of any use-assuming no cell phone coverage, these directories are available locally at Ham Radio Outlet located on 43rd Ave and Peoria 602-242-3515 or online.

Also when programming your radio, remember that Repeater frequencies require the correct offset direction +/- as well as the ctcss tones, read your manual, after a few entries it will become easy.

Some helpful websites:

www.azrepeaters.net super helpful with Az repeaters listed by county with all info nessacery and maps of where its located and coverage areas.

www.w7ara.org Arizona Repeater Association, membership encouraged as they provide many of the repeaters used in the greater Phx, Mt. Ord, Flagstaff, Agulia , etc.

www.winsystem.org The Western Intertie Network, a very cool open linked network that includes but is not limited to more than 70 repeaters in 16 states and 4 countries. Like a big partyline, it’s the closest thing on UHF/VHF to using HF for long distance radio. 2 local links to the Winsystem are:

446.660 -/100 tone located in Glendale and 440.675 +/107.2 tone located in Mesa.

http://www.azfreqcoord.org/bp/144bp.html info on Az VHF bandplan

http://www.4x4ham.com a cool group that meets on the Phx ARA repeaters on Wednesdays at 8:15 pm. Usual topics include local trail runs and tech talk. Tune in and give em a listen..

www.qrz.com kinda like Facebook for ARateur radio, lots of info, forums, swapmeet, etc

once registered you can make your own page.. check out mine…

A brief word on Antennas, your antenna is what makes your radio, so if all you have is a 5 watt handheld, invest in a few extra antennas, a gain longer whip type and at least a ¼ wave magmount for the vehicle at a minimum, the better the antenna the better performance out of your radio, a “gain” antenna will make your radio behave as if it has more power regardless to the power you put into it.

This doesn’t mean expensive, I’m just saying if you’re going to be far off the beaten path, you should have some antenna options. The 2 meter slim jim antenna, one could make one for pennies..

I hope this is helpful, 73 de Paul K7PAS

LINKs ARE CUT AND PASTE

Thx Phil for taking the time to post

A few guys PM me about autopatch and repeaters so Im posting the hand out Paul wrote up for the CSC HAM meeting a few months back.

Welcome to Amateur Radio, A Technician Class introduction to Radio

Simplex - talk and listen on same frequency (like a CB)

Duplex- talk on one frequency and listen on another, like simplex we can only receive when the

mike is not being keyed. Most all repeaters function in duplex mode..

Full Duplex-talk and listen simultaneously, like a telephone, can be done with some dual band radios

however is not common practice.

Repeaters- “Machines” used to extend the communication distances if radio signals. A repeater

listens on an Offset frequency while simultaneously transmits on the Output freq.

often located on a mountain top or tall building, as elevation is key for optimizing

range because our VHF and UHF freq’s are primarily line of sight propagation.

Offset- The difference between the transmit frequency and the receive freq. for repeater use.

Typical 2 meter offset is + or – 600khz from the repeater out freq offset freq.

typical 70cm (440) is 5mhz.

Tone- Tone, CTCSS or tone encoding or tone squelch are basically ways to minimize interference

from distant repeaters which are on or near the same freq. it utilizes a sub-audible tone

transmited along with the speech, the tone –specific to each repeater turns on the

repeater. Tones are published along with the freq. in repeater directories.

Operation-

Simplex is encouraged when the extra distance capability of a repeater is not needed. In simplex we simply call the station and talk away, remembering to ID every 10 minutes. Simplex is more casual, once contact is made, we usually just use our names. *once in a conversation aka QSO, don’t give your callsign followed by “for ID”, your callsign IS your ID and and saying “for ID” is redundant, this holds relevant in all Amateur discipline’s.. Repeater use, HF etc.. remember to end your QSO with your callsign and saying Clear or bye bye or something so others on the freq. know your done.

Repeate use, always listen first, making sure the repeater is not already in use. If it is idle, give the callsign of the person your wanting to contact followed by your own. The other station should answer with your callsign followed by theirs then the qso can continue in a more casual fashion. We use first name , just as you were in a conversation anywhere else. Don’t butt in a ongoing QSO as this would be a rude practice in person, rather if you have something to add or ask, simply wait for a pause, give your callsign followed by the word “comment”, and the folks will usually acknowledge you and welcome you in the QSO. Remember, anyone on frequency can hear you so keep that in mind. If you don’t have anyone in particular to call and want to strike up a QSO, simply state your callsign followed by saying “monitoring or listening” someone may come back to you. Again, ID every 10 minutes with your callsign, and at the end of your “final” and say clear.

AutoPatch- Autopatch is a means of making a phone call from your radio, if you’re on a repeater with an autopatch or linked to one, simply state your intentions: this is KC7XYZ accessing the autopatch, while still holding down the ptt, start with the *key on the mic, followed by the 10 digit number then release the ptt, the repeater will dial then connect, to the other person it’s sounds like a regular phone, for you, it’s still a 2 way radio-remember to unkey the mike to hear your party, at the end of the call, key the mike, hit the # key , state your callsign followed by “clear”.

Programing your Radio:

Most radios have a Call Channel memory, this is useful for a commonly a used freq. then just start filling your memory’s with freq’s you anticipate using. Some helpful tips here would be to go to some repeater directory’s and lookup repeater locations and types, meaning some repeaters are stand alone, while others are linked to other repeaters making a network of repeaters for very wide coverage.

By knowing where these repeaters are you can program you radio with repeaters that make sense to you. I would recommend the purchase of the ARRL Repeater Directory to keep in the vehicle you have the radio in, as if in the event a “situation” arises, you have to know where the repeaters are for you radio to be of any use-assuming no cell phone coverage, these directories are available locally at Ham Radio Outlet located on 43rd Ave and Peoria 602-242-3515 or online.

Also when programming your radio, remember that Repeater frequencies require the correct offset direction +/- as well as the ctcss tones, read your manual, after a few entries it will become easy.

Some helpful websites:

www.azrepeaters.net super helpful with Az repeaters listed by county with all info nessacery and maps of where its located and coverage areas.

www.w7ara.org Arizona Repeater Association, membership encouraged as they provide many of the repeaters used in the greater Phx, Mt. Ord, Flagstaff, Agulia , etc.

www.winsystem.org The Western Intertie Network, a very cool open linked network that includes but is not limited to more than 70 repeaters in 16 states and 4 countries. Like a big partyline, it’s the closest thing on UHF/VHF to using HF for long distance radio. 2 local links to the Winsystem are:

446.660 -/100 tone located in Glendale and 440.675 +/107.2 tone located in Mesa.

http://www.azfreqcoord.org/bp/144bp.html info on Az VHF bandplan

http://www.4x4ham.com a cool group that meets on the Phx ARA repeaters on Wednesdays at 8:15 pm. Usual topics include local trail runs and tech talk. Tune in and give em a listen..

www.qrz.com kinda like Facebook for ARateur radio, lots of info, forums, swapmeet, etc

once registered you can make your own page.. check out mine…

A brief word on Antennas, your antenna is what makes your radio, so if all you have is a 5 watt handheld, invest in a few extra antennas, a gain longer whip type and at least a ¼ wave magmount for the vehicle at a minimum, the better the antenna the better performance out of your radio, a “gain” antenna will make your radio behave as if it has more power regardless to the power you put into it.

This doesn’t mean expensive, I’m just saying if you’re going to be far off the beaten path, you should have some antenna options. The 2 meter slim jim antenna, one could make one for pennies..

I hope this is helpful, 73 de Paul K7PAS

LINKs ARE CUT AND PASTE

OK, this particular post needs to be in the stickies. I've been looking for it for a while. Just ordered up a BaoFeng BF-F9 V2 8W HT and some accessories (longer whip, mag mount for the car, cables and blah blah). Trying to figure out next steps like "how" to actually use it, and this post is great. I had missed the meeting, but this should get me started playing around. If anyone else is in my same boat - new technician, new radio, thinking "now what?", maybe we can have a practice session with some hands-on radio time for the essential functions (repeaters, autopatch, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom