h55's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brian

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
anybody have anything to say about the ausy 5 speeds man-a-fre sells?
i red some where about how they should be avoided.
i was thinking about getting a non-rebilt one for the 60,but now i'm not sure.

:-/What is supposed to be the problem as I have not heard anything negative?? It looks the same as the four speed but with a counter gear at the rear of the tranny and a different shift pattern. The were standard on the BJ60's up here in Canada from 1983 onward and are almost impossible to find at a wrecker specialized in Land Cruisers (everyone without one buys them up to use them). I've just upgraded my '82 BJ60 with one and I get much lower engine speeds on the highway.

I don't think I'd buy one without planning to buy a rebuild kit with it, and replace bearings and seals. If I remember right, Rick Donnelly has re-assembled some of their units. I think when I was looking for an h41 MAF's warranty was "it'll shift, after that you're on your own..." If you really want an h55, I'd advise spending more and buying a new one...Alan in tornadoalley

Stay away from the MAF crap. Never know if your tranny came from a grandmother's truck with 10K miles on it, or the beater POS that Drove 12 laps around Ausralia. You can get a brand spanking new H55F from Toyota, part number 33030-60450. You will also need to order the 5th gear oiler cup, part number 33124-36010. Any dealer should be able to order it, and with 25% discount, price is around $1800.

8)

alan-
I was in Tucson when a friend with an inside line to MAF ordered up 2 H55's for people there. Both had serious metal in the tranny and/or t-case (inspection by Bill's Toy Shop). My freind had a fit and Al Kolbank (sp) owner of MAF got him out another two in exchange. They too were bad. One more exchange yielded yet another tranny that made noise upon install.

...and not only would it be a bearing kit- you should replace the synchros ($25+ at Toyota) and inspect 1st, 2nd, and the 5th gear (can you say all non US parts) as well as the 1st gear synchronizer ($350+ for this part alone). If the tranny is at this stage- a new one with no corrosion, no issues, etc is a far better idea

ross et al
I also believe a buyer should get the shift lever as well, a t-case OH kit is a great idea - so the costs bump a little higher. And Toyota price stuctures and mark ups fall above the $1,200 range so technically you can't get 25% off the high ticket items as the dealers would make squat. $1,800 is the rough agreed on price that most are selling- or like Jay Marks (I am told) bumps up the suggested retail to show a 25% knock down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom