H55F - what to do while it is out of the car..? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'day guys, As per my HJ60 clutch problem post a week or so ago, my 83 5 speed H55F transmission is soon to be coming out.... I will replace the gasket and seal of the front bearing retainer as another Mud member suggested, but I was wondering what else I should do to it? Currently apart from a lot of gearbox oil over everything (unsure where it is coming from yet) and the hissing sound from 5th gear, the box performs fine (doesn't jump out of gear). The car has 472000k's on it, and I assume the gearbox hasn't been touched. I only paid $500 for the car, so don't want to go spending a heap, and I will be limited to what I can do in my driveway / shed... (Trans oil type?, additives?, )
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Check the oil for metal flakes. If it's clean (minor stuff ok) just keep on running it. Otherwise you may need to dig in deeper. There really isn't any maintenance to be done on these except to change the oil.

The front bearing retainer gasket and seal is a good idea. Clean up the area real well, make sure you won't have to do it again. :)

While you have everything out check the for oil leaks on the motor. Oil pan/ motor side of flywheel. Sounds like you're doing a clutch job as well so I'm sure you'll cover all that.

HTH

Don't forget to change your pilot bearing and throw out bearing. Its a bitch to have to remove the trans a second time.

Dyno

If it's doing the thing where it siphons oil from the t-case to the trans then now would be a good time to separate the two and replace the seal.

Thanks guys, it already has the connector hose between the trans and t case, so assume it has previously been siphoning, so will probably leave that as it is, but will take on all other suggestions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom