H55F FJ60 swap questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ChaserFJ60

Owner of CruiserHead.com
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
cruiserhead.com
ive been reading so many different things about this swap its hard to keep track of what i need to worry about. Is there any step by step instructions of what todo? I'm about too buy an h55f for my 1984 Fj60.

I just did this on my "87. There is a link to a step-by-step swap that was on another 4x4 forum in the FAQ, but all the pic links are dead. The text is useful. That and the FSM is what I used the most. Searching this forum for titles with "H55F" in them yields a lot of info. Even my recent thread.

I believe it is a lot easier to put in an 86-87 almost a bolt in. The older models require more to make it work. I cheated and paid to have mine put in. Really worth while modification though!

What month/year is your truck?

Worst case, you'll have to have your drivelines resized. I really can't think of anything else. I'd never worked on a transfer case before, so that was a bit of a learning curve. You might consider buying a used transfer case and assembling it to the h55 on a bench. Have a flat place to work and a good transmission jack. You'll need an assistant to reinstall it.

I had to drill holes in the firewall for the clutch master, the nuts were already there just needed a hole drilled to em.
then I had to drill out my frame and bolt the transmission cross member in place.
Pretty easy job

I had to do a little bit of grinding on my bell housing to clear the front bearing cover. It was quick work with an angle grinder. Since mine was a later 85 (had the spacer) my drive shafts were fine. There are lots of threads with parts lists. Beyond installing the little plastic oiling thing it is a basic trans install. I did some t-case refreshing while I had everything apart.

Frank

I have July 1984 built car. Do I need to modify the transmission tunnel? From the replies and other reads I have done, I have to relocate the cross member; correct? Sorry gents, I am new to FJ60's and this forum...

My swap was a into a 9/84 build. No transmission tunnel mod IF you track down a later transfer case shift linkage. You will also have to find later drive shafts, or have your modified. Also need an oiler cup, three longer transfer case bolts, new shift lever and of course the sexy 5 speed shift knob.
Make sure your linkage purchase includes the shift guide, as a new one with discount is $60, and getting hard to find (AFAIK 5 left in US a couple of months ago)
And you will have to do a little grinding per elripster's post. No cross member work for my install.
Always a good idea to rebuild the transfer case while it is out, especially if you do not know the history of the truck.
Good luck, it is a great mod.

My swap was a into a 9/84 build.

Hi DickM. Thanks for your help. By any chance do you have a P/N for the shift guide? Is it something I can find on Specter Off Road? If it is almost NLA, I would try to find one asap.

The guide should be included with the used TC shift linkage assembly that you find. If not, part# is 36323-60080. Buy it from CDan at American Toyota in Albuquerque if you end up needing it.
The linkage that I found used here on MUD was missing the guide, hence my need to find it separately.

I have July 1984 built car. Do I need to modify the transmission tunnel? From the replies and other reads I have done, I have to relocate the cross member; correct? Sorry gents, I am new to FJ60's and this forum...

No need to mod the tunnel or the crossmember.

You do need the later shifter for both the transmission and the transfer case.

You do need to grind some relief in the bellhousing for the bearing cover-Easy to do in 5 minutes or less. Good pics posted way back by Poser.

Your driveshafts can just be resized- and this is easier than later driveshafts because the flange pattern changed.

I did this swap into my '84 back when it was more of a daily driver. The transmission and transfercase are still marching on in my FJ62.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom