GTurbo CT26 Bad Boy Stage 1 + 1HD-FTE HDJ79 = over 200kW (at wheels! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oddball question, come across any reliability issues yet? Starting to see a fair few TD42's with broken cranks, linked to lots of torque and a heavy clutch/flywheel combination and their firing order.

What is the firing order of a 1HD ? Is it a normal 6cyl firing order or like the TD42 with its od order?

Here is a 300hp at wheels dyno for a HDJ79 (Trayback ute, std 380nm/163hp with non intercooled 1HD-FTE). When on dyno, they usually put Down ~ 119hp at tyres.

How the hell does he keep his wheels on the ground? I want one...

Hi Big Boy. No I wasn't specifically referring to your build, just saying in general terms I'm really sure it's not far away,

I did a Bad Boy Extreme for a min in Sydney. Full pro port job, custom intake manifolds, blueprinting of bearings and bores etc. On engine dyno it's making 322hp with only 22psi boost! He's planning for 400 at 35psi. So that for sure would have 300hp at wheels.

The builder is an older guy, you will never hear from him on forums or talking about what he's doing. It's also a one off for a friend! So I was quite interested to learn about this one.

@Hulsty last I was reading a few weeks back in the patrol turbo thread they were finding the upgraded flywheel/clutch combo (heavier flywheel than stock) was the the culprit. Testing new clutches with a heavier sprung pressure plate and keeping the stock plate is thought to be the fix.

@Hulsty,

How's the 13BT?

Going good thanks, turbo is whistling away fine, turbo has been on for something like 4 years now I think! Done about 40-50K. Needs more fuel lol, its been happy at 22-24psi @~2200rpm nearly the whole time, used to boost creep at high rpm but a new waste gate actuator fixed that properly.

Done any other 13BT's ?

Hi Big Boy. No I wasn't specifically referring to your build, just saying in general terms I'm really sure it's not far away,

I did a Bad Boy Extreme for a min in Sydney. Full pro port job, custom intake manifolds, blueprinting of bearings and bores etc. On engine dyno it's making 322hp with only 22psi boost! He's planning for 400 at 35psi. So that for sure would have 300hp at wheels.

The builder is an older guy, you will never hear from him on forums or talking about what he's doing. It's also a one off for a friend! So I was quite interested to learn about this one.

Me too. The only hesitation I have is losing bottom end torque if not done right. Although top end would be amazing!

@Hulsty, not sure of firing order comparison but never broken a crank on a toyota 1Hx

How's the 13BT?

Well i have broken a crank in a 1HZ. The grunter turbo running 20 psi gave it a bad case of indigestion, cracked all six pistons, the head, and the crank. :D

I don't blame the Gturbo, i knew it was there for a good time not a long time. :)

Did you mean me? EGT's were 550c at WOT and hard pulls up hills with the probe in the exhaust manifold pre-turbo. The tune was just the standard non compensated HZ fuel pump fuelling at max. Heat didn't kill this engine as best i can tell, it was too much chamber pressures. I think Graeme's turbos are a great thing but anyone with a HZ engine should seriously consider limiting boost to 12-13psi max. Mine lived happily at those pressures for 5 years while being beat on like a redheaded step kid in an off road racing environment, i hit the governer on literally every single gear change. 5000km after running 19 psi it was basically a paperweight. The very things that make the HZ so good offroad with low RPM torque is what killed it. No decompression bowl in the piston and no reinforcement in the piston crown meant it was always going to struggle.

I have been running my 1hz with a Grunter extreme at 22 psi for 15000 now and have had no problems with her. It just seems odd one motor can last yet one can die so quick

Ahh, there is more to that story. Not only was Rockcrawler31 racing his 1HZ most of the time, it had a poor boosting turbo on it with heaps of boost and fuel wound right up (without a boost compensator) for the 50,000km prior to fitting the Grunter.

Graeme, are there more people now pushing stock internal 1HZs in the 20lb range? Anyone pushing the 25lb range?

Boost comp makes a big difference to lean out the AFRs before full boost kicks on. I would imagine the AFRS with a pump completely wound out would be nuts and no wonder why pistons and a head would crack. Would be curious to see how the spray pattern and popping presure was in your injectors as well.

The crank cracking, well if guys are running the same crank in a 1hd-t with 35lbs of boost and way more horsepower I think something was up with your crank.

I look at a guy like zoltan running 25lbs for the longest time and is purposly trying to blow his truck up so to speak, he isn't running into issues because his AFRS are so lean.

Boost isn't what kills engines.

It's the combination of boost, fuel and timing. All three need to be considered to work within the engines limits.

Exactly, as Dougal says.

And Z()ltan is now running over 50psi into his. But very lean. Has been for ages, motor untouched internally, head never been off it.

It's the late model 1HZ engine (the one considered weaker).

And Z()ltan is now running over 50psi into his. But very lean.

how lean .. ?

I mean it make sense run that much boost ( I mean that's way much to me feeling comfy in my 1HD-T ) without fuel to make it up for .?

and which turbo is he using for that much boost .. ?

i dont think you can blame a nice turbo for that kind of damage. wow 50 lbs boost, i bet there is no chinese parts in that turbo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom