GTurbo CT26 Bad Boy Stage 1 + 1HD-FTE HDJ79 = over 200kW (at wheels! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No but a friend when he was designing and testing big turbos for the cummins years ago said he did it only to see how efficiant different setups were . And pretty much gave me the same speel dougal just said, the more efficiant the turbo the more the reason pre turbo.

have any of you put one in pre and another post turbo on the same rig and run them at the same time to see the real difference?

Never bothered, I've got pickup points to do it (actually put in as a pressure line tap in the dump-pipe), but I've never bothered as post temps have no practical application with a single turbo.
I can and do calculate turbine temperature drop for applications like compound charging.

Bernie did have one in his 80

Gota question for yah , once I have made mine pre , what temps should be my average and max temps to look out for ?

Cheers M

750C is your danger point. Put your own safety factor on that. I've recently had my Isuzu head off after running up to 900C occasionally accidentally and running 750C sustained on many occasions. Pistons were fine.

I've usually heard the 700C or 1300F pre turbo for DI engines.
I personally tuned my IDI to 1200F pre turbo.

won't take long.
Tune it to allow some creep of the temps. It takes a bit for it to creep up of running it hard with sustained full load and full boost to see where your temps max out. Accommodate this into your tuning. You'll see playing around with it.

Probe is in Pre turbo now , setting 5 with LPG I did get it to 750'c without to much trouble only for a short time .
Whats considered to be a save driving rage , mind you the W2A cooler is just waiting to be fitted as soon as the FT R/cover shows up from Japan

Driving without a IC the temps are around 350/400ish normal driving

Marty

MartinR mate that thing sounds like an absolute beast I want one mate would love to take it for a spin one day I live in glossodia

Yeah I was told by Mark - XXi - that 700 is no worries at all and once I have the W2A IC back on I should see the temps drop considerably , fixed my little ECM light coming on at will yesty as well, found a wire for the shutter valve making partial contact every time I boot the boot in the engine would twist/move and the light would come on and of-cause when you go the check the codes there would be none , it was giving me the you know what

Marty

Probe is in Pre turbo now , setting 5 with LPG I did get it to 750'c without to much trouble only for a short time .
Whats considered to be a save driving rage , mind you the W2A cooler is just waiting to be fitted as soon as the FT R/cover shows up from Japan

Marty

The next thing is, that temp will take at least a minute of full-load to stabilise and give a true reading.
If you can hit 750C on acceleration, then your true reading is much much higher.

I would also ditch the LPG if you care about your engine. It spikes the combustion pressures and makes for very large forces and stresses throughout the engine. Particularly in relation to the power it is making.
You've got enough boost now, get the intercooler sorted and ditch the gas.

Marty

Do you know what temp reading you were getting when your probe was post turbo under the same conditions......

Here is a 300hp at wheels dyno for a HDJ79 (Trayback ute, std 380nm/163hp with non intercooled 1HD-FTE). When on dyno, they usually put Down ~ 119hp at tyres.

Here is a before and after.

Before: standard + 3" exhaust, HPD top mount intercooler, XXi airbox

After: added Gturbo Bad Boy package with Pre tuned chip.

Unfortunately the dyno run didn't load up the bottom end to see power at 2000 rpm (over 200), but gives you an idea.

image.jpg

Im confident there will be a 1HDT near this in not too long. My dyno arrived last week from the USA, so just need to assemble it and progress on R&D like never before :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom