grinding noise from rear axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When i slow down and hit the brakes, i get a bad grinding noise. It also grinds when i start from a stop and is worse when i accelerate into a turn. it is not really noticeable at high speed. it seems like it is coming from the rear axle, but i am not sure.

All the u joints seem ok.

I drained the gear oil from the axle today, it looked ok. no chunks of metal coming out, the magnet had some gunk on it but nothing unusual. I drained the t case also, it looked ok too.

I thought it might have been a wheel bearing. Pulled off one of the rear wheels and drum. but did not notice any looseness in the axle shaft. is there a good way to check a rear axle bearing?

Is it possible that it might be the spider gears?

I did, there didn't seem to be any excessive movement. i have another cruiser and i compared them both, they seemed about the same

I've pulled the cover from the axle and i am pretty sure that it is not the rear axle, but it is definitely something in the drivetrain. maybe a bearing in the transmission or t case.

it is just a whirring, gear noise. it gets going real loud and remains in a kind of harmonic effect at about 15 mph. i am starting to notice it at higher speeds, but it is not that loud.

the transmission and t case shift perfectly and i don't feel it through the shifters so i am thinking and hoping that it is not either of those.

If anybody out there has had a similiar problem or has any insight as to what it might be, i would greatly appreciate any ideas

thanks again

I was able to pinpoint a wasted pinion bearing on the front axle on a Heep I owned several years ago. I just put all 4 wheels up w/ jackstands and let it coast in gear. Since your symptoms appear related to loads, my idea is less than ideal, but if other checks fail, then...?

if the pinion bearing was going bad, would the seal most likely start leaking?

Not to overlook the obvious but have you checked the brake drums? Putting it up on stands and running it should help you pinpoint where the noise is comming from.

Not to overlook the obvious but have you checked the brake drums? Putting it up on stands and running it should help you pinpoint where the noise is comming from.

I agree. When was the last time you adjusted yer brakes?

if the pinion bearing was going bad, would the seal most likely start leaking?
Not necessarily. If left long enough, yes, the extra out-of-roundness on the pinion would def. eventually waste the seal.
My bearings died due to a deep swim w/ a bad axle vent. Found it AFTER the damage had been done.

I have pulled the drums. they look ok and are adjusted ok.

the parking brake actuator levers are stuck, and the parking brake doesn't work. i wouldn't think that could cause this kind of vibration though.

I have pulled the drums. they look ok and are adjusted ok.

the parking brake actuator levers are stuck, and the parking brake doesn't work. i wouldn't think that could cause this kind of vibration though.

Did you ever find a resolution to this issue? I seem to have the same thing going on, down to the parking brake. Thats what I assume it is but havent done much looking into it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom