Grinding noise from rear after wheeling impact on driveshaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I installed a new rear driveshaft rear u-joint the day before wheeling it pretty hard. The 1.5 hour drive out on the highway was the smoothest and most quiet my truck has ever been. Then I slide back while climbing up causing the weight of the truck to land of the rear driveshaft and lower control arms. One arm bent, other dented, day old rear u-joint had play along the axis of one set of caps. It had a slight vibration the whole way home.

I remembered reading the paper (probably a first) that came in the OEM u-joint box about different thickness c-clips so I ordered the ones still available and installed a thicker clip opposite the side of impact on driveshaft. There is no dent on the driveshaft or missing weights. High speed vibration pretty much gone, slight grinding noise and figured I'd need to replace the joint and/or possibly the front one.

I replaced the lower control arm tubing with 1.75" DOM, .25" wall, 3/8" longer. Not surprisingly, no change but my wheelbase is back to being symmetrical.

I've been driving it for a couple months at this point. I drove 600 plus miles during a trip to Padre Island national seashores, 120 miles on beach. 55 to 65 mph or so I had a noise from the rear that went away at 75 mph. Since I've been back I get a grinding noise at around 45 mph that is getting worse.

I just removed the driveshaft expecting to find a rough or loose u-joint but didn't. Both u-joints are tight and smooth. Checked slip joint, especially female end for split, still good. I did find about 1mm free play front to back at transfer case yoke and pinion yoke seems tight, but catches between coast/drive engagement if that makes sense. In other words, turning the pinion yoke clockwise, then counter clockwise there are several points of higher resistance between engagement in each direction.

I'm turning to the experience of MUD as I have limited time in the next couple months and the next step is tearing down a major assembly in a rental property driveway where I can't leave it disabled long.

The picture doesn't help much, but threads with pictures are always better.

20151009_173619.jpg

Is 1mm play at transfer case output normal?
Has anyone else dented the pinion bearing races from an impact on the driveshaft?

An impact on the DS would make it so it will have run-out and the extra thick clip on ONE side of the UJ will cause the DS to be out-of-center for rotation and will cause an out-of-balance condition of the DS.

Driving 600 miles home on a bent DS or bad UJ COULD cause the bearings on the TC or the pinion to start to fail.

I would take the DS to a rebuild shop to be thoroughly checked out and replace both front and rear UJ on that shaft due to impact to the bearings. THEN I would check out the pinion or TC bearings with a stethoscope.

Sounds like it will need to be trued as well. I recently discovered my rear drive shaft has some gnarly runout from wheeling. I'm taking mine to the driveline shop to be straightened, balanced, and new joints put in. Frustrating sometimes, but I caused it...

so what was the follow up on this? did you work on the TC at all?

Just after that a lady in a Mazda2 drove into the side of the left front wheel while I was in the middle lane of a highway frontage road. Afterwards she said said she pulled out from the U-turn lane because I was "obviously going too fast and that big stupid truck shouldn't even be allowed on the road." Then I had to evict a now ex-girlfriend with the assistance of the police and a few other things including a surgery with a 2 week recovery. Sorry to leave this unresolved as I'm guessing you have an issue that searching led to this. It should get some attention soon hopefully. I try not to be lazy or make excuses, but life has been strange lately.

I try not to be lazy or make excuses, but life has been strange lately.
Those sound like fair reason to delay working on a truck. I accept your excuses ...for now.

Police don't come in Austin unless there is an injury now. They gave me instructions to go online and get a form to fill out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom