Builds Grey Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Range said:
The custom fabrication you have done is ridiculous. I wish I had the tools and the know how to cut about 100 lbs off my Shrockworks bumper. Just seems like so much unnecessary metal compared to what you have going on.

Thanks boss, more fab work coming soon.

I posted this in its own dedicated thread, but I figure I'd also post it here

We (Forge Overland) have been working with Expedition one to develop a washer bottle relocation kit for the 5th gen 4Runners. The kit has been finalized and should soon be available direct from Expedition One (Expedition One - Off Road Truck Bumpers) for purchase. This is an excellent OEM grade kit that doesn't require modification or lengthening of the harness or supply lines, and increases the fluid capacity to 2 gallons. All the while neatly tucked away behind the passenger headlight. I've been using the kit trouble free for just under a month now with 0 complaints and all smiles.

Here is the kit in its basic form

After you get your parts sorted out, take the powder coated steel tray and line it up with the threaded holes. Install and tighten the supplies stainless steel bolts and washers. The reservoir will sit ontop of this plate and be secured to it with the J-Bolt

Next step is to transfer your pumps and gaskets to the new reservoir, and prepare to position them to be reconnected

When you go to place your reservoir in the location with the pumps, the metal bracket holding the sleeved wire loom will need to be repositioned (read: bent) in order to fully clearance the pumps harness and lines. A vice grip takes care of this in quick order

Now with the reservoir positioned we can work on attaching the top plate. The rubber gasket that runs the top of the fender will need to be removed to access the fender subframe

The gasket is attached by several keymod style eyelets, sliding the gasket rearward towards the windshield will free it

With the gasket removed, place and line up the top bracket on the small center hole. This will need to be punched and a pilot hole drilled to accept the included self-tapping bolt

Take your punch and mark the hole and drill your pilot.

After that, run your self tapping bolt through for a test run, then fit your top plate and tighten down your J-bolt. Check fitment and if all is Ok, begin the reinstallation of the trim and gasket. With a sharp knife mark and notch the trim piece to clear the top plate. Once reinstalled fill with your favorite fluid and check for leaks and operation.

For those with 2013+ models, there is a air-injection pump relocation kit available to go with this kit, this link is for an FJ kit, but it is nearly identical to the kit that will be available for the 4Runner

FJ Cruiser Washer Fluid Reservoir Kit

Cut the fenders today, undortunately there wasn't enough time to roll them because it started raining again. It's okay though because I think I'll need a hammer and dolly set for this job if I can't make a wood template how I want it. Please forgive the not straight line. I varied the thickness of the gap I wanted based on where I thought it needed more strength and it looks like s*** without the fender rolled.

so, i scoured the earth for a dolly - no local shops even knew what i was talking about. i guess were going back to some old school body work here. i didn't want to order one off online because that would mean i had to spend money in front of my wife - which is not a good idea for me while I'm sticking money away for a Ducati

anyway, i spent countless hours designing my Jig and came up with this as my final design:

went to work on the fenders and this was the "almost done"

touched up the semi gloss until i can set aside enough time and good weather to grind down the problem paint, level, sand paint, sand, clear, pray, wetland, pray, polish, pray and go back to decent looking front fenders again. super happy with the results. I'm now totally rub free at full droop and compression, and should be able to run whatever backspace rims i want with 35s even off road. rims might have just moved up on my 'to do list'

well, looks like its the end of the line for me (more than likely)

yesterday i was going through town (on my day off) to go to a friends house that needed a hand. i made a turn towards the main road he lives off of chugging along at about 30-35mph when a chevy 2500 pulls out in front of me going across the road and i hit her square in the B pillar at full force. i had to kick my door open to get out

initial thoughts are bent frame, both front doors need to be replaced, front fenders, facia, hood, coolant system, the entire KDSS system (lines were ruptured), the whole dog house (inner fenders, front end support etc etc) and many of the plastic pieces inside like the airbox, front tires and more. all those need to be replaced. being that its a 2010 with almost 80,000 miles on it i think she's a lost cause.

really super disappointed in how the 4x4labs bumper handled the impact. sure it bending back and becoming totally disfigured absorbed some of the energy that would have otherwise been directed at me - but i think it caused more damage than it saved.

as far as the other truck is concerned, i shoved them sideways about 10-15 feet and pushed the B pillar of that truck in a foot and a half. the brunt of the force was exerted right at door handle level. the person in the passenger seat was rushed to University Hospital screaming bloody murder for what the EMT's think could be a broken neck.

air bags did not deploy, but I'm pretty well banged up from the seat belt.

mikey's2010SR5 said:
Glad to hear you are pretty much ok. Like others have said, your truck is replaceable and you are not.

Guess someone else will have to take the 35s reigns from you.

Oh and I would bet my truck Luke does not do crash testing on his bumper, it serves an off-road purpose.

4Surfin;2028704 said:
Damn that sucks man! Glad you are OK. That's crazy that the airbags didn't deploy, could have been much worse.... that's why I am hesitant to change the bumper out.

so, heres some figures:

bought the truck in January 2014 for $27,500 with 42k miles on it. they valued my truck at $31,000 last week with 78k miles on it (apparently its quite the collectors model)

initial repair estimate started at $11,000 with a total threshold of $22,500 (or something like that). they just started tearing it down yesterday, and i forwarded all the information on the aftermarket parts on the front end and were creeping ever closer to $15,000 in repair, but i don't think it will get much higher than that if at all.

I'm going to go with the triple hoop Domello front bumper this time around. I liked luke's design, but it was very abstract and i feel like it didn't compliment the looks of the truck as well as it could have - the domello bumper still leaves a trace of the 4runner design behind and you don't have to cock your neck to stare at it to try and figure out how makes it. last thing you need is taco neck syndrome

hqdefault.jpg

also, im pushing really heavy for all 4 tires to be replaced. the front two HAVE to be replaced as they are cut cashed and missing chunks and etc etc. how they got so damaged i don't really know, i can only assume the bumper did it to them during its roll back travels on and off the thing. so my argument is that with the front 2 being replaced and the tires having 10,000+ miles on them, putting them in rotation could cause unpredictable handling characteristics in adverse weather conditions.

so, whether i get them to replace all 4 or my lawyer does - I'm going to go with 35x12.50 Cooper STT Maxx's this time around. they're a bit lighter and i don't quite need the level of traction afforded by a max traction tire considering the ground clearance, computer aid and rear locker. they look pretty sweet.

and, finally - drumroll please: I'm converting the front end to 2014+ headlights and facia. i'll probably pick up a set of the LED tail lamps sometime this summer depending on how padded my wallet becomes from this whole ordeal.

and as i mentioned in bimrunner's thread, I'm having the body shop return my front fenders to factory dimensions with flares. i liked the roll, and I'm surei would also like a professional roll job with paint and everything - but I'm kind of getting to the point that i just want to be able to wash and wax the paint and stare at it in the driveway with a beer in my hand after i beat the s*** out of it on the trail. rough bodywork and conflicting lines really isn't my thing anymore i guess.

so anyway - the Camburg +3.5" long travel front with Fox's is still very much up on the table and maybe if everything works in my favor i'll buy it. fingers crossed.

The beast lives

The bodyshop and I decided to go forward with rolling the fenders. They're an old school hot rod shop so they'll be doing it by hand with a hammer and dolly and make it slick as ****. We've also come up with a neat mounting solution for the fenders to the sub frame. More pics later

so things are getting done. its been a hell of an uphill battle with the insurance company getting them to honor their words. they first promised that they would return my truck to exactly the same way it was before the accident, which was next to perfect factory condition outside of my modifications. they wanted to fit aftermarket 3rd party parts all over the place - i put that in a choke hold the moment i heard about it. all factory Toyota parts are going to be fitted now thank god. I'm already going to take a huge hit in depreciation because of it being a major accident, i don't need to take anymore because someone thinks that the aftermarket 3rd party parts are identical to OEM components. might as well put my truck back together out of the O'Reilys catalogue.

anyway, here is the test fender they built to model the Toyota ones that are coming from Japan. their roll looks WAAAAAY better than mine, being they're some old school hot rodders. can't wait to get this all put back together.

here is the final fitment before they pull them off and continue working. as it is right now, the total damage is netting nearly $13,000 after the re-appriasal of damages. the only thing right now that is up in the air is the KDSS.

the line is ruptured and a significant volume of oil leaked out of it during the accident and transportation to and from everywhere that its been in the last few weeks. the insurance company thinks that it can be recharged and the line replaced, and i told them the whole system needs to be replaced. the shop can't find any information on it because apparently no one in the area has ever had to replace the KDSS before and the local Toyota dealers are clueless.

like i made mention prior, i ordered the Philips LEDs. They came in and they are of superb OEM grade quality. everything is weather sealed and super well made. i can't wait to pop these in

next up, the paint is done on the sheet metal. it looks AWESOME. they haven't sanded and buffed it yet but it already looks great. they did a perfect job matching and blending the paint. i seriously can't wait to get this thing back and hit the road

the bumper is at powder coat. actually, it might be being picked up today. i'll be hauling the old post-accident bumper back to Luke at 4x4Labs on my journey west. he might have something waiting for me when i get there. ooooooh surprisessssssss

Went to the body shop today to help the body guys fit the new headlights. This is new territory for them so I figured I'd give them a hand while I could. Fitted the new LEDs too. They look great. As soon as I get my truck back I'll have a write up on them.

Getting closer.

things is all hooked up and stuff

grill needs to be painted, and were apparently still waiting on the scoop - that as well will need to be painted and installed. hoping the bumper arrives by the end of this week then it will be off to toyota for the KDSS fix. need the body shop to order the front tires too.

bumper should be delivered tomorrow, it shipped on friday

went by the body shop today since it was sunny to check the truck out. still sitting in the same state it was before. grill needs paint and the scoop needs paint and fitted. gave it a walk around and found some discrepancies. i sent the shop owner an email. i don't know if these happened in the care of the tow truck, the insurance (it was fully disabled) or at the body shop.

as she sits

machine type scratches along the drivers door arch

and this dent, as well as more scratches on the passenger door arch

hopefully i can get this all resolved quickly and have my truck back

what a process

Well, the crash is unfortunate, but at least it will be better than before. I'm going through the same BS with my 100 right now, except we were the Chevy 2500 in our scenario... Anyway, I've been thinking of cutting/rolling the new fenders too, and wasn't sure what to do with the fender liners. Are you just ditching them or coming up with a nice solution?

Well, the crash is unfortunate, but at least it will be better than before. I'm going through the same BS with my 100 right now, except we were the Chevy 2500 in our scenario... Anyway, I've been thinking of cutting/rolling the new fenders too, and wasn't sure what to do with the fender liners. Are you just ditching them or coming up with a nice solution?

i ditched the fender liner a long time ago, it didnt really work for me with the 35's. in the future once i do this 3.5" Camburg long travel front i might work on making a new fender liner that works with the new wheel arches.

i got an email back from the ladies adjuster and they're refusing to take care of those scratches and dent because they cant relate it to the accident. thats fine, they'll end up paying for it in the end.

the bumper arrived on Monday:

Got the bumper on today. Looks like they when they squared my frame the horns are still bent back a little bit, so they'll need to pull them down a tad to get the bumper square how it should be. Not a big deal. Also will need to trim the horn edges down to accommodate the new wheel arch.

Really really s***ty front shot that does nothing for making the truck look good

Anyway. There fixing the bumper alignment today then they'll work on cutting the wing horns off and then the bumper will be removed and the truck loaded on a flat bed and sent to Toyota for KDSS repair. Final polish and detail and it will be back in my hands

things are coming together, i'll be taking possession back on Friday

because of the new headlights, the factory harness is too short to reach the foglight, so i bought a set of H11 extensions. they're only 6" long, which wasnt enough, so i made them 18" long with some 14 gauge.

cut them up and started work

Next time on Forgeoverland.com, how to solder like an *******

then tidied it up with some shrink wrap

finished things up,

then went to the body shop to install the harness i made to see the progress

That looks awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom