Greater Boston area owners thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hello all. Just want to say welcome to our little Yankee Toys section. Just so you all know, we are not just "hardcore" wheelers, but a diverse group who enjoy all aspects of Land Cruisers, from old to new. Diversity is the spice of life! There used to be a Cape get together in past years, I'm sure we could schedule something like that again. I've taken my 80 on the legally accessed "dune" roads and it is really a wonderful experience. The requirements are easy and a great way to access less busy beaches. Will, I and others have also spoke many times about setting up a ski/snowboard club trip, looks like we have others that would like to join.

Please feel free to pm me with any club questions or otherwise and I encourage anyone who is not a member to check out our club and consider joining. It's a great time with awesome people. Bookmark our club Mud section here and check often! We will have a club calendar of events for the 2015 year coming soon.

Happy Cruising!!!

Josh

Hey Josh,

Thanks for reaching out! I started this when I found there were a few other 100 series owners in the greater Boston area but I was trolling around mainly in that sub-forum so I didn't find Yankee Toys until someone mentioned you guys.

I'll be up skiing a lot this winter at Mt. Snow if there are any others in the area it'd be great to coordinate a trip. My 100 is stock for now but I'd be up for some light wheeling as I do miss getting a little dirty (previously owned a 4Runner).

I guess one other question that you would be able to help out with is whether you have a local shop that you would trust to work on a 100 series. So far I have only heard about the guys up in NH and have heard a couple of mixed reviews, but something local to Boston would be preferable over a dealer. I like doing my own wrenching whenever possible but I have street parking so more major stuff is out of the question.

Thanks again, and we look forward to coordinating with you guys!

-Pete

I'm not sure on the local shop as I'm in CT and generally work on my own junk. I'm sure someone more local will chime in or search this Yankee Toys sub section. I have seen discussions on Boston area shops in the past. Im sure a local member will chime in as well. Landtank here on mud may be a great person to pm as well as he is local to your area and knows the good shops.

Wellesley Toyota has been a very supportive dealer of Yankee Toyotas, and they provide 20% of parts to all its members. Being Wellesley they also get a ton of UZJ100s thru there doors, for stock maintenance and repairs its had to go wrong with them. For off-road parts and mods on 100s its harder to find shops in NE with a lot of experience, so can't really say one is better than another. A&M (Mystic Ave Somerville) does a lot of work on 40s/60s/80s, not sure how much on 100s. But Eddie (owner) is big LC enthusiast.

For stock plus trail runs, the spring Yankee Toys event at Gremlin Graveyard (MA/CT boarder) is perfect. Also, for Yankee Toys members, there a re bunch of stock + trials in SW NH I'd be happy to lead people on; once the frost come out of the ground in May. I know a bunch in NW Mass too.

Last edited:
That's helpful info on the shop REDrum, thanks. I've used Wellesley Toyota for a quote on a sunroof leak, but to be honest I wasn't impressed with how they handled it. They said they found that water was coming through in the passenger side A pillar but they weren't sure where and wanted $500 to take the headliner off to proceed further. It even looked as though they staged a leak but putting a dab of colored water on the A pillar panel and drops on the winter mats. Maybe that's making a big assumption, but I've heard of dealers doing worse things so I tend to be on the skeptical side.

When I got home, I took everything off the A pillar and poured water all over the windshield, sunroof (down drains, around closed roof etc) and found everything on that side of the truck to be bone dry with zero indication of leaking. I'll probably give them some more business, but I'm a little hesitant based on this last experience.

I'll look into A&M in Somerville for anything that might be coming up, I've got to get around to baselining everything and if I can't find the time to do it myself I may be on the hunt.

Sunroof leaky are tough to troubleshoot and resolve on any vehicle. On a 100 it may be a leak thru the roof rack rails, and migrating forward to the A pillar, not the sunroof.

Yeah I found it leaking right at the trailing edge of the roof itself from what turned out to be an old seal (which is what I wanted them to replace) and it was not pouring in at a rate that would overwhelm the drains which were running free and clear

Hi other Bostonians. I've been here for three years (moved from South Carolina) and just bought a FJ62. I'm in South Boston so let me know if you're ever in the neighborhood and want some chicken and waffles at Local.

Good Evening. I am from the South Shore.

Hi other Bostonians. I've been here for three years (moved from South Carolina) and just bought a FJ62. I'm in South Boston so let me know if you're ever in the neighborhood and want some chicken and waffles at Local.
There's a beautiful blue 62 that parks at the Hess Station at Dot Ave and Columbia Rd. The owner had it fully restored a few years ago. Where in Southie are you?

There's a beautiful blue 62 that parks at the Hess Station at Dot Ave and Columbia Rd. The owner had it fully restored a few years ago. Where in Southie are you?

Haven't seen it around though I don't make it that way too often. I'm on the east side at 6th and N.

Hey guys, good to know there are a few in Southie, I'm in the South End but have a few friends out there. I've heard about Local and would be up for doing something.

Hey guys, new LC 100 owner checking in. I live out in Boxborough and commute into Boston (by train). Definitely interested in local shop recommendations (Acton toyota is nearby but would like to find an indy mechanic)... Don't have much off-road experience but would love to meet up and check out some trails if/when the snow melts!!

Hey everyone, I'm reviving this thread to say Hi, and check to see if there are any updates to the list of shops that work on 100s in the Boston area. I should be taking delivery of an 05 LC in a couple weeks when my buddy drives it up from rust free Arkansas. I doubt it will need anything right away (furiously knocking on wood) but I'd like to have a plan should I need it. I also live in Southie, but obviously would be open to traveling for the right place. Thanks, and maybe see people at the FG2016

I've had mine for 9 years and only found two shops in the area who will wrench on 100s but really only preventative/corrective maintenance: Vinny's Autosport in Cambridge and A&M in Somerville, but thats it. Since 100s have been primarily soccer mom-mobiles and not offroaded much, (at least on east coast) there are not many/any private shops that specialize in outfitting/upgrading them. As wincing as may be to read, dealer is your best bet. Wellesely Toyota always has 3 or 4 100s on lifts when I'm there, no doubt that zip code has high population of late model Land Cruisers.

Well being that Wellesley Toyota seems to do a discount for Mud members, guess it may be easier to swallow...

Well being that Wellesley Toyota seems to do a discount for Mud members, guess it may be easier to swallow...

Slight correction. WT offers a discount to Yankee Toys members. They don't card you for membership, but just be aware.

Glad to see this thread is still alive. If anyone is interested in meeting up at some point let me know, I'm happy to grab drinks around here (South End). I'm open to suggestions based on places that might be able to facilitate a few 100's in the parking lot as basically anything here in the South End will be street parking.

I'm definitely up for a get together, south end, Southie or wherever. This time of year, we could probably all park by the water in Southie, and walk to a place like Local 149. I guess we could probably all park in one of those lots on Harrison in the South End (like by the Gaslight or Cinquecento) too, as there are lots of places to eat or drink in that area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom