Great Terminal Pin Removal Tool for 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chris FJ80

SILVER Star
Threads
I have been looking for a long time for a good terminal pin removal tool and finally found one at a decent price.

The Astro Pneumatic 78445 arrived yesterday ($15.31 on Amazon Prime).

Tool #1 is sized and shaped to remove the 80 Series terminals. Works well so far. The set of 5 tools comes in a nice, blow molded, compact case.
IMG_1863.jpg
IMG_1864.jpg
IMG_1865.jpg
IMG_1866.jpg
IMG_1867.jpg

thumbs up.

Its a good tool set but only one of those will ever be used on the 80. FWIW the FSM specifies how to make your own removal tool. A few have made them just using the windshield wiper metal strip, seriously.

Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 9.16.25 AM.png

Its a good tool set but only one of those will ever be used on the 80. FWIW the FSM specifies how to make your own removal tool. A few have made them just using the windshield wiper metal strip, seriously.

I would have paid the same $15 for a wits' end branded pin removal tool to go with my glorified paper clip.

View attachment 1143535

Joey,

Is it #03 in the Astro picture that we'd use for the 80?

Chris FJ80; thanks for the "tip", the short knurled handle of this tool should help with grasping and maneuvering it into the conectors. I've used my Sears Craftsman picks for removing terminals, the funky curved one seems to work well but it's a bit unwieldy due to the length of the tool so I have to choke down on the thin end of the pick using an unstable pinch grip.

Last edited:
Hard metal is key. I tried making my own out of a HF pick (see post #5 in this thread: Show your custom-built SSTs (Special Service Tools)), but it did not work very well because the metal was too soft and malleable. Someone in that thread suggested making one from the tang of a file, which I started to do, but then found this kit.

No its #1. The #3 would be too wide to get into the connectors to release the pins.
Yep - #1.

Agree that I would love to see a Wits End version!

Dang, glad I ordered this set. Used it today already to take apart my front locker wiring pins.

I used #1 and #3 was able to work also. I would buzz a hair off of one of the sides of #3 and it will work great.

A good pick works well. Needs to be very thin and sharp. Hard with little or no flex. You can't go wrong for a $15 tool set though. The snap on sells a similar one for $70. Nice find!

Yeah. At this price it was a no brainer -- you can't beat $3/tool even if I only use one or two of them. I had been looking at the truck tool sets, but way more than I need and way more that I wanted to spend. I just stumbled across this on Amazon while I was looking at Weatherpack crimping tools.

Last edited:
I ordered one now to order more crap for that $35 free S&H from Amazon.

View attachment 1143535

I have used most of the production tools and prefer the home made, windshield wiper metal strip, ones, have made, lost, used, a bunch of them. One of the advantages is; they can be tuned to the need. Like this.

2fe_project_154a-jpg.663913

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom