Got me a flat... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just did a 5-tire rotation on my 1-year-old Cooper AT3s and got a flat a week later. Piece of metal sliced through the top and the guys at Town Fair cannot patch it (probably a whole other thread for that). I have an unused Revo 2 AT tire from my first round of tires with zero miles on it in the EXACT same size.

Am I taking a risk using a different brand tire as a spare even though it is the same size as all the others and has close to the same mileage (light usage DD)?

My concern is that a tire even being a little bit off could create issues with the drivetrain binding up, but maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Appreciate any thoughts. As much as it was horrible timing for a flat that cost me a meeting, it was actually good practice using the tire drop-down mechanism.

No issue with same size tire. I think if its a different size then yes...cant recall reason tho.

As a spare and the same size, you'll be fine. I don't even know what brand I have as a spare, but it's the same size as the others. Different circumference tires on the ground can cause a few problems with drivetrain, safety systems, wheel speed sensor readings, tire pressure MS (if it's a system that doesn't use air pressure).

As long as it is the same size, you are ok... Specially for a spare.

I've seen guys running 29" tires as a spare when their 36 went out...it wasn't long term. I currently run a 30" as a spare with 31's and never had an issue.

I think my recent buy of 5 KO2's is the first time my truck has had the same size spare as the rest on the ground.

Generally I only want a spare to hold air and get me to where I can fix or replace the flat one.. I'd go slow but wouldn't worry overmuch about weird driving or odd noises while the spare is on. It's temporary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom