good shops in the northeast (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Whats all the hub bub ...bub. :dunno: I bought the cage from Brian and yes there are quite a few welds that are ....well lets just say...not of the highest quality. After I sand blast it, grind the piss out of some ugly welds and re-weld it. It should be fine. Certainly better than the roll bar that came in my 73...that being none :slap:

Whats all the hub bub ...bub.   

That's what I wanted to know? :dunno:

The only possible better ending would be if Up and Over told you to drop it off so they could clear up any doubt about quality. :-*

Not a problem. Just wanted to make sure that it was one of ours. Bring it by and we will see what we can do.

Chris
Up and Over

Chris,
Being that I am the third (probable) owner, I wouldn't have expected you to re-work it. However, if indeed you wish to clean up some of the welds on your nickel...then the least I could do is haul it down to you. Let me know if and when you want it.

Todd

I am happy seeing the direction this thread has taken, I wasn't trying to start anything with Brian, but if he's gonna talk about a shop, then sell the same thing, what's the difference between him and said shop.

And yes, if I bought something that wasn't satisfactory, then I'd either fix it, or destroy it. We are talking about a life saving device here, and if i sold personally sold a cage of questionable quality, and someone got hurt or killed, I'd feel somewhat responsible.

hope I didn't come off as an ass, and i hope to meet all of you sometime soon, this is one of the best forums that I frequent. :D

I see both sides of the issue. On one hand, a product is being sold, and it's condition is described, weaknesses/faults/whatever have been disclosed, so any potential buyer would know what they were getting. On the other side, someone buying a real cage is probably doing so for protection. In which case you need to ask if a product that is designed for designed for protection in reality doesn't offer any protection, should it be sold?

I'm not sure there is a right answer to all of this, but regardless, upnover is doing the right/commendable thing by trying to correct the problem.

Chris,
If the rains hold off and I can get my trailer out without trashing the yard, I'll bring it down tomorrow.

Todd

i'am a welder(more of a millwright)of both pipe and structrail(sp)steel(to include stainless and aluminum) with a couple of certs in each, so i think my ablity to judge bead quality is well grounded

the welds were crap.they were full of holes and under cut and if i'm not misatken there's one or two spots that wer'nt even hit(maybe like an 1/8" total). and while the poor welds probably would not have had that much of an effect on the over all safty of the cage, being a welder i DID'nt like the look of them ,at all. i was embrassed when people that know me would look at it.

i did'nt like the looks of the cage period. and was not about to spend the time and effort it would have taken to bring them up to my standards, so i removed it and replaced with a stock bar,more the look i like.

todd and i spoke/wrote a couple of times off line,he was in the know about it.nor was he forced to buy it when he came to look at it.

and as far as buying anything from me, todd is a member of VERY elite club, he is only the second person in almost 8yrs to remove a cruiser part from my hands. as of now i own all but two of the trucks that i have ever aquired. once i get my hands on it i tend not to let go of it.

...and now the rest of the story....couple weeks back I dropped off the cage to Wayne and Chris at Upnover...spoke at length to Wayne, took the $2 tour of the shop and came away feeling very comfortable with him/them. They called last week and said it was done. Picked it up today, again had good conversation with them got some other things in the fire I plan on them doing etc..etc...and yes, all the welds were stripped of paint/primer, ground out and re-welded even some ones that were done by a PO. And as they said at the get go ...no charge. Well, I feel they are a pretty stand up bunch at Upnover and as I said above, I really did not expect the effort they volunteered since I am the third owner of the cage. :beer: :beer: :beer: And with any luck I'll sand blast, prime and paint it this weekend in between all the other festivities :D

Todd - thanks for posting the follow up. I'd only ever heard REAL BAD things about those guys. Looks like the new ownership is stepping to the plate even when they don't have to. Good for them and good for us local cruiserheads.

Scott - dude, take a drink dude - if someone describes something honestly to a buyer and the buyer is cool with it - why should the seller just throw away money. :dunno:

I think when everyone steps back and reads this thread, they'll see a vendor that stepped up and got involved to fix a problem for a fellow cruiserhead. Yeah, it's their name, but they didn't have to do this.

I saw a nice 80 series rear bumper they had at CMCC last year. Not exactly what I wanted, but it looked nicely done and seemed to be put together well. Kudos to Up and Over.

Junk,
I oredered a shirt off of your website a couple of months ago, Paypal'd you $19,..... and no shirt for me.

Whats up?

Mike
mikedecampli@netscape.net

You can also find me on th Keystone board (actually I said something like that on the pay-pal comment if it sonds familliar
)

/Thread Hijack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom