Good Shop for axle work on an 80's series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
needing to possibly replace the Birfield joints and front axle seals on my 80, how tough would it be to just buy the parts and replace them myself? and if not, does anyone know a decent shop around the Mckinney/Frisco/Allen area that is pretty good with cruisers?

That job is relatively easy, and really messy. The first time you do it it'll take you 4 hours to do the first side and 30 minutes to do the second side once you see how it works.

Oh, hi from McKinney! Try to make it to the meeting tomorrow at Pappas BBQ in Dallas.

thanks for the advice and also thanks for the offer, wish i would've read this in time, probably could've gotten down there

Second on the DIY angle. A shop that will do it right will charge probably $800 to $1K plus for a comprehensive front axle service, they will not include new Birfs. I however would adjust the time requirements based on how anal you get on cleaning - For your first run at axle service allow probably 8 or more hours if you want to get very into cleaning everthing - which no shop will ever do, unless they are cruiser fanatics. The first side is discovery and the second side is old hat.
If you want to do it yourself, I have a great PDF of a write-up from Mud, and a PDF of the FSM to help you along - I recommend both. PM me with your email and I'll send them on.

Another vote for tackling this yourself. It's a straight forward job. If you can follow instructions you cans do this project. It is a great way to become familiar with how the front axle works. This will make you more prepared for future issues and build your wrenching confidence! Buy more brake cleaner and paper towels than you think you need.

Hey Ben, were you the guy I ran into with the maroon 80 at RaceTrac off Virginia and 75? I have a feeling that may have been you. If so, I'm the bearded guy that asked about your truck. I think we talked about ujoints if I remember correctly? If its you and you haven't done this job yet, and are interested, feel free to pm me and I can offer any assistance/help that I can.

Hey Ben, were you the guy I ran into with the maroon 80 at RaceTrac off Virginia and 75? I have a feeling that may have been you. If so, I'm the bearded guy that asked about your truck. I think we talked about ujoints if I remember correctly? If its you and you haven't done this job yet, and are interested, feel free to pm me and I can offer any assistance/help that I can.
Yep that was Me, i got the u-joints replaced about a month ago, have held off on the Axle seals and Birfield joints until i get more freetime, interestingly i've had a couple conversations at that same Ractrac with a few different toyota fanatics, were you by-chance the one working youth over at the church?

Second on the DIY angle. A shop that will do it right will charge probably $800 to $1K plus for a comprehensive front axle service, they will not include new Birfs. I however would adjust the time requirements based on how anal you get on cleaning - For your first run at axle service allow probably 8 or more hours if you want to get very into cleaning everthing - which no shop will ever do, unless they are cruiser fanatics. The first side is discovery and the second side is old hat.
If you want to do it yourself, I have a great PDF of a write-up from Mud, and a PDF of the FSM to help you along - I recommend both. PM me with your email and I'll send them on.
Does that write-up you have include anything on the Birfs? if so is there a place that anyone would recommend that i can purchase the legitimate parts?

@cDan or @beno are parts dealers with good shops here on mud that ship nation-wide and can get you a comprehensive kit for axle rebuild at a good price - they make sure all of the small bits are in there.

If you pm me, I can send you a zip file of diagrams, part number lists, etc. Ton of stuff.

Here is the axle rebuild thread I followed, along with my FSM. If you don't have a FSM, you can download a copy - search for "FSM at a hell of a price" in for sale section.
Front Axle Rebuild - For FAQ

Also, be sure to go through the FAQ section at the top of the 80s threads - hours of research for you already done. As, questions as needed!

Then, Onur, I guess the torch has been passed. Was not aware, but thanks for the note! Sorry I did not make roundup this year to meet you!

Thinking again, One tool you will need is a hub socket. If you weren't on the opposite end of the metroplex, I'd say borrow mine, but seeing as how it will cost the price of the tool in gas to come get it, you might want to spend the $30.

Thinking again, One tool you will need is a hub socket. If you weren't on the opposite end of the metroplex, I'd say borrow mine, but seeing as how it will cost the price of the tool in gas to come get it, you might want to spend the $30.
ill look into it, thanks for all the help

Yep that was Me, i got the u-joints replaced about a month ago, have held off on the Axle seals and Birfield joints until i get more freetime, interestingly i've had a couple conversations at that same Ractrac with a few different toyota fanatics, were you by-chance the one working youth over at the church?

Yes sir, that was me. I'm gonna have to start hanging out at that racetrac more! There are several places online to grab a 54mm socket/wrench to get this job done. I've got one, but don't really like it as its edges are pretty round and hard to get a good grip. Here's one for $23 I've been eyeing on Amazon

Trail Gear 140157-1-KIT 54mm Axle Socket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019XEQZ52/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_z2r9xbS1JPENB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom