Good Cruiser Mechanic Hampton Roads, VA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We used to have one in Virginia Beach but he found another job overseas so he's gone.

Doesn't seem like alot of LC folks in these parts of the woods? Where do you have your car serviced or do you DIY? So far the only place mentioned around here is DIA Automotive, so I'm giving them a try.

Try Japanese auto masters in vb.

I have. They diagnosed and fixed my old cruiser when the air meter went out. Been in business in vb for 20-30 years. Look at their website for more reviews. I would recommend them to anybody . Hope it works out

Depends on what you need done. Prior to the military i was a toyota technician. Located in VAbeach

Replace front end bearings, or so says the toyota delearship. I am trying to find a decent local auto shop to do future engine/drive train work. But also looking to do some body work as well. Can anyone recommend a auto body shop for paint/trim work? The seals on the doors and sunroof are looking to need replacement. Its held up well for 12yrs, so looking to get this replaced and maybe some paint work. Any recommendations?

I am in Hampton and was looking for someone to work on my '94 FJZ80.... going to hit up Japanese Auto Masters...... on another topic, I am new to the LC scene ( recent jeep defect ) are there any Cruiser groups that do weekend trips ect in the Hampton Roads area?
thanks Mike

Please let me know how it goes, I have a growing list that needs to be done to my '03 LC, mechanical and body work. I have yet to visit their place. I don't think there are many group(s) out here in a collective sense. If there are, they are good at keeping it a secret. Justin

Please let me know how it goes, I have a growing list that needs to be done to my '03 LC, mechanical and body work. I have yet to visit their place. I don't think there are many group(s) out here in a collective sense. If there are, they are good at keeping it a secret. Justin

I just had J.A.M. complete a very lengthy maintenance list on my '98. I went to a few places prior, including a dealership (Checkered Flag) to speak with some mechanics, and as far as I'm concerned J.A.M. is now my go-to shop for my 100. I felt a little sigh of relief when I first visited and there was an FJ62 out front waiting for pick up. David is great to work with and there were even a few things that were on my list to have replaced that when looked over, ended up being fine and not needed, all of which they called me about each time. Conversely most places wouldn't take the labor hit and just do it, but the crew there seem to be into what they do since it's such a niche shop, and respect who they work with. Obviously you're going to pay for that kind of service but it's less than a dealership, plus they don't seem to mind if you supply parts (I've gotten the stink-eye at other places around here) and when it's something you don't feel comfortable with doing yourself, it's a great option. Side note, they were telling me about a 70 series they've had there since November of last year, full rebuild, drive shafts are down in FL etc., lots of custom work, I'd like to check it out. Has an aluminum rear on it too apparently. Oh, and David is a 4Runner guy, but don't hold it against him, he admitted a Cruiser is his dream ride. If you go with them, they sent me a thank you card with a 10% off parts and labor for anyone I refer, I was going to throw it out but hit me up if you'd like it, I'm in VB.

btbowie,
I just had J.A.M. complete a very lengthy maintenance list on my '98. I went to a few places prior, including a dealership (Checkered Flag) to speak with some mechanics, and as far as I'm concerned J.A.M. is now my go-to shop for my 100. I felt a little sigh of relief when I first visited and there was an FJ62 out front waiting for pick up. David is great to work with and there were even a few things that were on my list to have replaced that when looked over, ended up being fine and not needed, all of which they called me about each time. Conversely most places wouldn't take the labor hit and just do it, but the crew there seem to be into what they do since it's such a niche shop, and respect who they work with. Obviously you're going to pay for that kind of service but it's less than a dealership, plus they don't seem to mind if you supply parts (I've gotten the stink-eye at other places around here) and when it's something you don't feel comfortable with doing yourself, it's a great option. Side note, they were telling me about a 70 series they've had there since November of last year, full rebuild, drive shafts are down in FL etc., lots of custom work, I'd like to check it out. Has an aluminum rear on it too apparently. Oh, and David is a 4Runner guy, but don't hold it against him, he admitted a Cruiser is his dream ride. If you go with them, they sent me a thank you card with a 10% off parts and labor for anyone I refer, I was going to throw it out but hit me up if you'd like it, I'm in VB.

Much appreciate the feedback, I will definitely check them out. I have an 03', and the past flood weekend, I drove through some major water. I've been going to priority toyota in chesapeake, just getting tired of them. They aren't horrible, but would rather go somewhere more local. No worries on the refer a friend, thanks very much though.

Do you know a decent body work place? I have dings here and there i would like to take care too, nothing major, plus I get lots of condensation in my car..need to get that figured out too.

btbowie,

Much appreciate the feedback, I will definitely check them out. I have an 03', and the past flood weekend, I drove through some major water. I've been going to priority toyota in chesapeake, just getting tired of them. They aren't horrible, but would rather go somewhere more local. No worries on the refer a friend, thanks very much though.

Do you know a decent body work place? I have dings here and there i would like to take care too, nothing major, plus I get lots of condensation in my car..need to get that figured out too.

Definitely check out Japanese. Not sure who else may be around or closer to you. I'm not a fan of Priority. I bought my LC from one of their dealerships and it was not a place I'd recommend, but it was a factory locked 98 with 142K so I did it. Not sure about the condensation, but as far as body work my mechanic (of nearly 15 years) always recommends Auto Graphiks on Bonney, basically off VB Blvd. Smaller mom n pop shop that have been around for some time. (Auto Graphicks Body and Paint - Home) I had prioriry do some body work on the Cruiser after I bought it because they did it for free as part of the deal and they didn't even paint over what they worked on, left chips in my valence paint, my 2 cents on them as far as a body shop.

Definitely check out Japanese. Not sure who else may be around or closer to you. I'm not a fan of Priority. I bought my LC from one of their dealerships and it was not a place I'd recommend, but it was a factory locked 98 with 142K so I did it. Not sure about the condensation, but as far as body work my mechanic (of nearly 15 years) always recommends Auto Graphiks on Bonney, basically off VB Blvd. Smaller mom n pop shop that have been around for some time. (Auto Graphicks Body and Paint - Home) I had prioriry do some body work on the Cruiser after I bought it because they did it for free as part of the deal and they didn't even paint over what they worked on, left chips in my valence paint, my 2 cents on them as far as a body shop.

Thanks brother, much appreciate info! Will check out both places. Only took 1/2 year to get a recent recommendation for someone. Thanks again.

I called Japanese Auto Masters to see if they'd install an aftermarket suspension system, and they said no, FYI.
Anyone have experience with Pungo Offload or Eastern?

I called Japanese Auto Masters to see if they'd install an aftermarket suspension system, and they said no, FYI.
Anyone have experience with Pungo Offload or Eastern?
Yeah Japanese won't do aftermarket mods. I went to Eastern twice and they were, for lack of a better term, dicks. I decided to just go up to Iron Pig if/when I need to have work done. The few times I've spoken to them they were great. Eastern and Pungo seem to do every bro-lift you see around town on suburbans and the like. Personally wouldn't use them but you never know, could be fine.

I went to Eastern back in 2013 for my 03 Landcruiser to install 1.5' lift Old Man EMU, new tires(Nitto Terra Grappler), Cat back, ATX 18" rims. They are still holding up and doing well no issues. They weren't total dicks but they did have an attitude some what. So medicore experience overall.
I had a buddy send his 89 LC to iron pig, a bit far for me, but they did good work for him doing corrective maintenance, no aftermarket work was involved.

I went to Eastern back in 2013 for my 03 Landcruiser to install 1.5' lift Old Man EMU, new tires(Nitto Terra Grappler), Cat back, ATX 18" rims. They are still holding up and doing well no issues. They weren't total dicks but they did have an attitude some what. So medicore experience overall.
I had a buddy send his 89 LC to iron pig, a bit far for me, but they did good work for him doing corrective maintenance, no aftermarket work was involved.
Nice, that's good to hear that eastern did a good job. I'm planning on switching to an older 22re truck or maybe a 4Runner so I might give them another shot. Otherwise I think Iron Pig is pretty solid, just wish they were closer.

Thank for the inputs gents. I'd prefer IPO for sure, but the logistics make it a pain. There's also that Main Line Overland up in PA that has done some cruiser work.
4 Wheel Parts on Va Bch Blvd seem like a great bunch the few times I've been there.

Rob at Pungo Offroad is a great guy. I go to them for tires and balancing. They will install a lift no problem. The suspension on our trucks is fairly easy to work on. I installed the 4" Slee lift on my truck in a day solo. Or IPOR in Fredericksburg. Cruiser specialty shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom