1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

good combo?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by cajunqueen, Jan 30, 2003.

1. cajunqueen

cajunqueen

I think we've finally come to a decision. My fiance and I have a '63 fj40 that we are doing a complete resto on. Here's my question...we are looking for optimum setup (or as close to it as possible) for a daily driver/weekend warrior. We are looking at putting a Chevy 250 I-6, Sm465, NP205 in it. How does this sound? Anything to look out for? Any reason why this would not be a good choice? We have gone round and round with this thing, and I just want to see some progress. Thought I should ask the experts before making any purchases. Thanks.

2. dylan

dylan

the np205 will center the rear drive shaft so the original axle which is offset will not work

3. Man Jerk

Man Jerk

I think some older 40's had a centered diff (correct me if I am wrong) and 64 is pretty old.

4. cajunqueen

cajunqueen

yes our 63 has a centered rear diff so using the 205 wont cause any severe angle problems. Thanks.

5. dylan

dylan

sorry bout that :D

6. woody

woody Internet Fireman Staff Member

Media:
    The inline 6 and sm465 are "normal" length installs, but the 205 is longer than the Cruiser case. You may find you need to reverse the rear springs to move the axle back 3.5" for driveshaft lengths. It will be a very strong setup tho.

7. PHAT MAX

PHAT MAX

or you could get one of those fancy schmancy 80* CV's :D

8. Chef

Chef

I'd go with the bigger chevy 292...

9. cajunqueen

cajunqueen

I don't think we will ever get a motor in the thing. More thought and consideration has us leaning towards a 350. HMMMM....I just don't know. Good motor, know where there are 3 of them, availability of parts good, maybe more power than we need though. Comments... By the way, bought the tranny and t-case today. All looks good there. Now just have to decide on the power house.

10. woody

woody Internet Fireman Staff Member

Media:
    I'm a 350 fan....cheap, plentiful, lotsa aftermarket, and an easy swap into a Cruiser with a carb. I've run either a 350 or 305 for over 10 years with no complaints. (or, none that weren't my own fault anyways...heh)