golden oil -- (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm approaching 5,000 miles with its first batch of M1 10W-30 and will be changing the oil soon --

-- when I pull the dipstick to check the level, the oil color is still GOLDEN -- I mean, like glowing orange --

-- with my Civic, it's always, always black -- any ideas on this? Is it the LC's 8 qt capacity, or is that I use that crappy little Fram "quick change" hose on my Civic, disallowing all the gunk to drain the pan --

-- BTW, the Civic is at 180K and the LC at 75K -- both great vehicles -- :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

eric

If Porsche factory recommends 15,000 miles between Mobil 1 oil changes.......

:doh: Could that be one reason why it's still golden? It's engineered for longer intervals between changes. Isn't that the point of synthetic oils???

Draw your own conclusions or flame away. I know all the for and against frequent oil changes.

I personally don't think you need to change M1 every 5K.

[quote author=erics_bruiser link=board=2;threadid=5412;start=msg42613#msg42613 date=1063909839]
I'm approaching 5,000 miles with its first batch of M1 10W-30 and will be changing the oil soon --
-- when I pull the dipstick to check the level, the oil color is still GOLDEN -- I mean, like glowing orange --
[/quote]

Mine too. You are probably fine with it still, some may even say just change the filter and be on your way. Now smell the dipstick, does it smell significantly different than new m1 10-30? burnt? Take a white piece of paper and clean the dipstick off on it; then decide :beer:

IMO, it's because your civic holds about half the oil as your cruiser, and it revs higher. So 1. you're not breaking down the oil as fast, and 2. you've got more oil in there to begin with. All great reasons why Cruisers are such great vehicles.

I've been changing out my dyno oil every 3 months without fail, sometimes with as few as 1200 miles driven inbetween. They upsold me on "3 years of free oil changes" when I bought it used, so like a sucker I went for it, but I've held them to it and only have 1 year to go. Once that runs out I'll be switching to Mobil1.. but I've fried fish in oil darker than the oil in my 80.

Just because and oil is dark does not mean it is used up, merely carrying contaminants and oxidized. Looking at oil is not a way to get an idea about its condition. That said, if it is still light and clear, it is probably okay. Potential problems could be fuel in the the system etc. I have had the experience that some cars seem to keep the oil cleaner than others. You should be able to go to 7500 miles on the M1 without a problem.

Cary

Then again, you could just change it out every 5K and be happy knowing that your engine is bathing in golden clean oil (sounds kinda kinky when I reread this). It's gonna be a lot cheaper to change your oil every 5K--even with M1--than it will cost ya to overhaul it.

Good thing about running on L.P.G. compared to Petrol is that the Oil and Spark Plugs hardly become dirty.

Castrol GTX 2 20W/50 every 15,000km with a Z418. :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom