GOBI Roof Rack - 1st For an 80 Series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I love the low profile

Weight ?

Thanks !

Last edited:
Daniel,

Do you know their website will be updated? I sent off an email to Paul

Stu

I was set on a Baja Rack before seeing this thread but now I am leaning towards Gobi.

Your rack looks real nice. It will be interesting to see how the removeable sunroof section insert comes out. It would also be nice to see a 80 Gobi rack with some different sets of lights up there, i.e. rectangular and circular. Maybe Gobi can update their site soon since it seemsthat there is some definite interest here, plus it is that "tax refund" time of year.

An updated site might help move some product. Get on him about that.

Last edited:
SC. x2 on what you said... I sent the following questions to Paul

What is the current pricing?
How much is the sun roof rack addition
Is there a Ladder for the 80?
Please confirm that it fits with the factory rack in place
How much weight will the rack support
Is it compatible with a Roof Top Tent.
Are the rear lights the only wires in the rack?

I looked at the Gobi website and they have tech specs for their racks. It appears that all of their Toyota racks, that I looked at, are rated for 300 LBS.

Daniel,
Do you know their website will be updated? I sent off an email to Paul
Stu

I don't know when he plans to update the website. He told me they are migrating to a brand new website. I left him a VM today on questions.

Best to get pricing from the source.
We did not discuss a timeframe on the sunroof panel, but again I saw them for other models and will get mine.
I saw the 80 ladder for mine and its not yet on because he was tweaking the upper mount. The gap btw the liftgate and body is tight and he did not want the paint to rub. He was fairly confident I'd have it b4 Cruise Moab.
My rack is installed over my factory rack. Its super close, almost touching in a spot or two, but that gets it low to the roof. I'll take a look tomorrow and see if it been rubbing.
Load rating is expected to be 300#, but consider that other racks with just 6 feet and not mounted to an 80 are also rated at 300#. This thing has 8 feet and is STOUT!
RTT should just clamp to the crossbars, but if I was getting one for a RTT I'd check the bar spread to be sure.
Wires are run internally down both sides, so, for example, I hope to run wires out the rear louver (has anyone done that?) or though the gap at the liftgate, or maybe, just maybe, drill the roof or use a nutzert hole. So if my wires are at the rear, I can run it to the front using the internal wires. Make sense? I can take more pics tomorrow.

:cheers:

Daniel,

The rack looks slick! Now get some lights up there and post up more pictures.

I can't believe so many people posted "nice rack" and nobody even giggled:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I look forward to checking it out in Moab!

Daniel that a great idea.... Check out 98 Snake Eater thread - https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/155089-rack-build-update-pix.html

He had a slick idea on how to get wires up to the roof that are water tight

Thx for the link. I agree that drilling the roof is the best. Just not sure I am ready to make that leap. But if a few nutzerts pull out when I remove the factory rack I will have holes to fill.

Daniel,
The rack looks slick! Now get some lights up there and post up more pictures.
I can't believe so many people posted "nice rack" and nobody even giggled:rolleyes::rolleyes:
I look forward to checking it out in Moab!

Yeah, there will be some jokes like that. I'm grilling dinner tonight with your grilling spices and just cleaned out the shaker so its ready for a refill at CM.

I took the factory rack off yesterday. It simply unscrewed and the rust is minimal. I plugged the holes with some stainless allen head screws and Goop marine sealant, painted the spots the factory rack had rubbed though the paint and calling it good for now.

I left the factory roof strips on. There is about 3/4 inch between them and the Gobi. I think it wold look better closer to the roof. There is no flex in the rack so I think you could lower it an inch and remove the factory strips.

Since the nutzerts were good, I'll be looking for another way to route wires. Yesterday was sunny and 70's in Denver. Today is 44 and rainy (actually some white stuff too) so wire routing will have to wait.
Factory Rack Gone (2).jpg
Factory Rack Gone (4).jpg
Factory Rack Gone (3).jpg

Since the nutzerts were good, I'll be looking for another way to route wires. Yesterday was sunny and 70's in Denver. Today is 44 and rainy (actually some white stuff too) so wire routing will have to wait.[/QUOTE]

Good job removing the roof rack... Glad to hear all your nutzert were in tack. No word from GOBI on prices yet. Any info you can provide would be great.

Stu

Good job removing the roof rack... Glad to hear all your nutzert were in tack. No word from GOBI on prices yet. Any info you can provide would be great.
Stu

Stu - are you in Peekskill? I'm originally from Queens and we have a place near Ellenville.

I just spoke to Paul and his sales person was supposed to have gotten back to you already so he was going to check.

Stu - are you in Peekskill? I'm originally from Queens and we have a place near Ellenville.

I just spoke to Paul and his sales person was supposed to have gotten back to you already so he was going to check.

Yeah, we are in Peekskill for now. Ellenville, ok that over the hudson and up a ways. I havent visited that area yet.

Thanks for checking with Paul.

Stu

Daniel, how do you lower the rack ? do you need to order it with shorter supports ? or is it adjustable

I am really liking the low profile of the rack, and if it can be lowered even more it will be awesome as it will definitely fit in my garage and I will have less issues getting into parking lots.

Thanks !

Yeah, there will be some jokes like that. I'm grilling dinner tonight with your grilling spices and just cleaned out the shaker so its ready for a refill at CM.

We'll have refills for a select few. Cross your fingers and hope that you are on the list:D

FYI, If you run a wind deflector with the soft gasket between the roof and the deflector, clean underneath it frequently. Grit tends to get trapped there and will "sand" a nice line across your roof.

FYI, If you run a wind deflector with the soft gasket between the roof and the deflector, clean underneath it frequently. Grit tends to get trapped there and will "sand" a nice line across your roof.

I saw this after my last Moab trip. :frown: My roof paint is in bad shape already. Paul told me he has a clear adhesive tape to apply. What do all the people with fairings on other racks do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom