GM column-wiper motor relay??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone here who has done the GM tilt column and used the COLUMN WIPER SWITCH, could you please post up what type of relay that you had used????
Im not going to pretend that I know the first thing about electronics in the SLIGHTEST. My good friend Rusty TLC is helping me wire up my rig and he spotted that a "hi/ low" relay is required for this to work.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith

I may be incorrect, but I was told that you can't use it if you want to be able to park the wipers.

I may be incorrect, but I was told that you can't use it if you want to be able to park the wipers.

donno...
Got a pin out on how to do it from a mudder here???
If that's the case, Im REALLY glad I asked before we did anything permanent.

anyone else can confirm this or not???

Bump to the top!
Anyone have anything on this, who had made the GM wipers work w/ the fj40 wiper motor????

I have a GM column and I use the wiper switch on the column. I got everything to work except for the intermittent part. I bought a couple 30 amp 5 pole relays from a vendor on Amazon if I remember correctly. I wired up the washer too, nothing special there. The park function works fine too.

What specific questions can I answer?

Steve

Here is a pic of the schematic supplied by a very generous mudder...
Is that TWO relays on this?
If I could, Id like to get this right the first time.:D

Thanks,

Keith
switchandscematic.jpg

Bump!

This is good!! I put a GM column in several years ago and could never figure out the wiper switch. I could get it to do the on/off function and park, but no high/low. I did get high/low speeds, but in a round-a-bout way. I used a SPDT toggle switch in line between the switch and the wiper motor to control the high/low function.

I'm not going to be able to do anything about trying this right away, too many other things I'm trying to get done before fall rains come. But, I printed the diagram to put in my book of ideas and wiring schematics to save it for this winter.

Please keep us informed about how this works for you.

Don

This is good!! I put a GM column in several years ago and could never figure out the wiper switch. I could get it to do the on/off function and park, but no high/low. I did get high/low speeds, but in a round-a-bout way. I used a SPDT toggle switch in line between the switch and the wiper motor to control the high/low function.

I'm not going to be able to do anything about trying this right away, too many other things I'm trying to get done before fall rains come. But, I printed the diagram to put in my book of ideas and wiring schematics to save it for this winter.

Please keep us informed about how this works for you.

Don

Thanks Don. Will do on the updates. RustyTLC is helping with the wiring, and he doesnt think its gonna be that big of a deal. It does seem though that there needs to be TWO relays in talking with him last night. I did a search for an FJ40 relay for the wipers and I dont think one exists. However, for the GM to mesh with the 40 electronics, a relay will need to be in line, or so it seems.

looks like your gonna need a 4 pin and a 5 pin relay. the 5 pin is gonna be used for park. they are 2 different types. hope that kinda helps

I bought 5 pin Bosch style relays as a pair connected on a single mounting bracket from Amazon. However, I can't find the one I bought listed now. They do have a dual relay socket for about $4 and individual relays from $3 each.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom