Getting silicone caulk off your hands? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Time. Even acetone or laquer thinner won't do much- the only solvent that seems to work at a decent pace on silicone caulk is MEK, and I wouldn't recommend it on your hands. A few hours from now the stuff will come off all by itself.

-Spike
I read this and none of it worked after the caulk had dried. Then I tried Olive oil. I'm sure you can use cheaper oil but that's what I had. It has taken a while, but the olive oil allowed my skin to more naturally come off. It takes some soaking and scrubbing though. It worked better than rubbing alcohol, goof off, dish soap, or hand soap.

Time not only heals all wounds it is about the only thing that will get silicon caulking off your hands.

I've been doing a lot of kitchen and bath work lately, installed a couple of sinks and counter tops, plus I re-caulked around the tub & surround. I just finished running a 5' bead of silicone along the base of the tub to seal the new flooring. Now my hands are all slimy, and no soap I have tried will get this stuff off. It's really weird how it totally kills the sudsing action of any soap.

Is there something that will take this stuff off, without attacking my skin? My hands are already raw from washing up from painting, so I really don't want to resort to laquer thinner or acetone. Tried GoJo, didn't seem to do much.

I always noticed a kind of vinegary smell in rooms that had silicone curing. So I tried something and it has given me success when caulking with silicone. The best way I've found to work with silicone is to have small container of vinegar. if you wet your finger with vinegar to smooth out the bead it works really well without dragging. (To use water seems not to work at all) Then use a clean vinegar soaked rag to clean your finger after every bead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom