Getting Rid of Spray Adhesive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well a couple of years ago i put carpet in my crusier and recently ive been looking at Herculining the inside. when i put the carpet in i sprayed in the spray adhesive that comes in a arosal(sp) can. i was wondering if you guys know anything that will strip that crap right out without having to scrape it out cause the tup is POR-15'd. also any of you guys Herculined your interior, hows it look?

Head to your autobody supplier and pick up some PrepSolv (PPG) or PreKleeno (RM) or similar stuff...it cuts it real well.

I think mine is herculiner (PO), not sure but its somethin you can buy retail. I like it but its too thin, so I'm gonna hafta clean it up and reapply this winter before the hard top goes on.

i cant wait till my shipment of Herculiner comes. i hated that carpet, it was a PITA to clean after wheelin every week and when i pulled it up it left me some rust spots.
Anyone else know something that will get that spray adhesive off that i can get at like ACE, Home Depot, or somethin.

Aslo CrusinGA you said that the Herculiner is thin, did you apply only one coat or two?

what ? no suppliers in Tucson...try some mineral spirits then...those places you mentioned should have that. Try a small area first...it shouldn't eat your paint and it should soften up the adhesive.

[quote author=TriksRevival link=board=1;threadid=5303;start=msg41922#msg41922 date=1063763524]
i cant wait till my shipment of Herculiner comes. i hated that carpet, it was a PITA to clean after wheelin every week and when i pulled it up it left me some rust spots.
Anyone else know something that will get that spray adhesive off that i can get at like ACE, Home Depot, or somethin.

Aslo CrusinGA you said that the Herculiner is thin, did you apply only one coat or two?
[/quote]
PO did it, I would imagine one coat. Don't even know if its Herculiner, just speculation.

I work with it all the time and MEK(methel ethel keytone,gun wash, laquer thinner)is cancers and a handfull of other things best friend. But if you are in a well ventilated area(outside) and have a mask and nitrile gloves it will clean up anything. Yes it will eventually strip your paint off but it takes time for it to desolve the coating and it would evaporate before it got through that. It will disolve the crud and prep the surface great. It is CHEAP as well. If you go to a commercial paint supply place and ask for gun wash MEK, cause there are lots of other types of laquer thinners that can get real expensive, there you go. If you do use it PLEASE use safety equipment cause huffin that stuff wil blow your mind(Literally)and can cause short term memory....ugh something I forget.

Try mineral spirits (paint thinner). Very cheap (at Home Depot) and it doesn't affect the paint. I just finished cleaning the old carpet kit of my FJ40 so I can paint it with POR-15 and Herculiner. I think the PO used about 3 cans of adhesive. I found that a good trick is to take an old rag and lay it over the area you want to clean. Soak it with MS and wait about 30min. When you come back the adhesive should come off easily. Just make sure you're outside; the fumes get pretty bad.

I hurculined, too thin though, need to recoat.

Word of warning, do not crawl in back with shorts on, How does NO skin on your knees sound.

:doh:

tryed some mineral spirits and it cleaned it up pretty good.

SlowerthanU: when i POR-15 the inside of my crusier i got the paint all over my elbows and knees, was in the shower a long time with a pumace stone trying to get that crap off, couldnt go to work covered in paint :-[

I just herculined my cruiser today. Here is a free tip. Use gloves. I have now tried 5 different products to get the crap off my hands. SO far no luck. So it would appear the herculiner is also a good hand coating. I will let you know in about a month when it wears off. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom