1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting oil in tranny/transfer

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by CruisinGA, May 19, 2003.

1. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

I'm changin my gear oil in the tranny transfer sometime soon, I was wondering how yall get the oil in them? for the diffs I just refill a quart bottle from a gallon jug and squirt it in, that would take a long time on the tranny and transfer. I found hand operated 5 gallon pumps on the internet, thought about orderin one of those since I will be changin gear oil a lot pretty soon. (Lots of axle/tranny swaps/rebuilds in my future if I buy that parts truck)
    Any thoughts? ???

2. Trevor

Trevor

Get one of those $5 pumps at the auto parts store. They screw into the top of the 1 gallon containers. They crap out after using them about 5 times, but they are worth it.

3. IDave

IDave

Media:
    NAPA sells a little hand pump silastic tube thing for about 3 or 5 bucks that screws onto the top of a container of gear oil.
    Definitely worth the investment for our purposes! ::)

4. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Ahh, beat me to it, Trevor!

5. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

Actually there is a very good solution to this problem. Buy a "bucket pump". They are made by Lincoln (the grease gun people) and fit over the top of a 5 gal bucket of gear oil. Then you can buy gear oil cheap-the coastal stuff at Auto Zone is $21 for 5 GALLONS-that's the same price as 7 QUARTS of usual gear oil. I bought my bucket pump at Pep Boys. It even comes with a long plastic hose and a metal hooked nozzle that makes filling stuff a snap. Highly reccomended.

6. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Ok I'll call around for one of those bucket pumps, I had seen some on the internet, since I'll be doing a lot of oil changing soon that sounds like a good idea. As usual, thanks guys. :D

7. 73lndcrsr

73lndcrsr SILVER Star

I have seen a similar product at Northern Tool as well. It is about $30, but fits up to 5 gal buckets. My father has used the same one for several years now.

8. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

hmm I just rang up my local Napa and they want $48 for their cheapest 5 gal bucket of 80/90 and $58 for their pump that fits the bucket.
    Am I gettin ripped at these prices? Should I call around some more? I'll try AutoZone but theres not one near me, Napa is the closest. I guess $58 isn't bad for the pump if its well built and will last me. :dunno:

9. 73lndcrsr

73lndcrsr SILVER Star

10. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Yep, thats the one that I go too for air tools and heavy duty stuff, but its kind of a stretch to try to get there after school and beat traffic. I guess the tranny transfer change will have to wait until the weekend. Thanks for your help.