Geo Metro booster install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Folks,
Just completed setting up my brakes in my 64 FST. Thought I would post pics of how I did it in my rig. Before painting my rig I cut down the firewall "rib" and prettied it up, so my goal was to place the booster as close to the firewall as possible, others may need to space it further to clear the vertical "rib".

My rig has disc brakes up front and stock in the rear. I ran the rear brakes up the the stock connection block on the frame on the passenger side. Once the booster and MC were installed I would need to run a line to that connection block. Drivers side connection to brake line is in stock location.

I fabbed new brake lines in the rest of the car and for this will need to as well. Get familiar with your brake flare tool!

First, I fabbed up some 3/16" plate steel. One to fit in the recess on the firewall with 3 bolt holes, and one to fit on the Booster.

MetroBooster003.jpg

Next I lined everything up so that brake pedal rod passes through the existing firewall hole. The two plates will not line up but their cut out circles will.

MetroBooster004.jpg

Through some black paint on it and here it is ready for the booster.

MetroBooster005.jpg

MetroBooster006.jpg

Now it was time to mount everything up, and there is plenty of room for everything.

MetroBooster007.jpg

MetroBooster008.jpg

Now it was time to fab some brake lines. I decided to use an aftermarket brake proportioning valve and not the ugly Geo Metro one. This one (wilwood) allows you to adjust how hard the rear brakes. This brake line took a while, it has a lot of bends to fit into the tunnel behind the head on the firewall. Clipped it down in one spot where the FD bracket is. Also, added a loop in the brake line where it transitions from tub to chassis.

MetroBooster009.jpg

Here is where that line goes to the booster.

MetroBooster010.jpg

And here is where the line runs down to the front brake connector block. Can't see but there is another loop on the bottom.

MetroBooster011.jpg

Now, I am waiting for some parts to arrive before connecting to pedal, but I built a threaded coupler and used some threaded rod (bolt with head cut off :) to lengthen the pedal rod by about 3 inches.

I am pretty happy with how this turned out. Sorry for the cell phone photos, but thought this could help someone attempting the same.

Chris

Nicely done:beer:

i'd be interested in how far the pedal travels once you've got everything hooked up. I did the same & used the big V6 4runner calipers. The pedal travels a bit far & is somewhat soft but it stops pretty well. I'm not running a proportioning valve. Your set up looks nice. I hope it works well! ty :beer:

Nice work, I debated making an adapter or drilling 4 holes. I drilled the 4 holes into the fire wall and some hit the steering wheel support on the back side, then I really wish I had done a bracket like yours. I am really happy with the geo metro performance and that is without the brake booster hooked up yet.

Chris,
I considered doing the 4 holes like you did and luckily realized I would hit the bracket. I then searched the forum and saw yours and saw you had the same issue.... After some head scratching I ended up with the adapter. I almost replicated your install tho, which would be okay EXCEPT my rig is all painted, and hacking on that bracket would suck!

I almost cut off the welded nuts from the firewall, welded nuts on the inside of my bracket and bolted from the inside, but as it turns out I had plenty of room to bolt it from the firewall side. All good.

Chris

Nice.

What did you use for the actuating rod? Stock FJ40? Or did you use something else or make an adapter?

What is the total thickness of your adapter plate assembly?

Do you have part numbers or other info for the specific booster and master cylinder?

And what disc brakes are you running up front?

Thanks for the thread. This is really helping me decide on what to do. have a 75 with all drum and they really need some help. I thought the photos were good enough to show what you did. :) Really like the homemade adapter.:cheers:

Nice.

What did you use for the actuating rod? Stock FJ40? Or did you use something else or make an adapter?

What is the total thickness of your adapter plate assembly?

Do you have part numbers or other info for the specific booster and master cylinder?

And what disc brakes are you running up front?

Brian,
I used the metro actuating rode with a home made coupler/extension to connect to the pedal. If mounted on the firewall the metro rod was about 1/2" too short, with my adapter even more so. The thread on the metro and the stock pedal clamp attachment thingy are the same, 10 x1.25.

The overall thicknedd is about 2", sorry, didnt measure it. I just needed to clear the larger protrusion from the booster that didn't fit in the stock hole.

The booster is from a 98 metro 1.3l. I read a 95-2000 will do.

I have wilwood calipers up front.

enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom